August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

For hawkstwelve... nice improvement on the 12Z ECMWF for Saturday as well compared to the last couple runs.    Its back to showing mid to upper 70s that afternoon.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 12z EURO looks great in the long range. Very cold air for this time of year starts making it's way down BC. If this was Winter, we'd be talking Arctic Blast. ❄⛄

Gross.

Might be what Bastardi was talking about.

Hopefully it changes... but that blocking over Alaska keeps coming back.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Clear and 85 here already. I’m ready for Fall. Seems to be a couple days down in the 70’s this weekend then bounces back to mid to upper 80’s again. Yawn

Have you made your move to Arizona yet?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Wondering what the weather this weekend is going to be like. With SE flow off the cascades, maybe, possibly there could be some thunderstorms associated with the rain.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Just saw the Joe Bastardi tweet TT-SEA mentioned. He sounds really confident.

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi

August into Sept going to be ugly cold for western and Central canada summer was short, Conversely the northeast once past the cool 10 days should be quite warm into September.. stretching back SW to Texas Central US, as usual may be where the cold holds in the means

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1158884351309963265

Looks like the 12z EPS and control run agree with the operational.

The control run goes August 1992 on days 11-15.

30c4c9412a855ec5d643f5c55e44f4aa-full.pn

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Dont know what he is basing this on, but . .

Joe Bastardi

@BigJoeBastardi

August into Sept going to be ugly cold for western and Central canada summer was short, Conversely the northeast once past the cool 10 days should be quite warm into September.. stretching back SW to Texas Central US, as usual may be where the cold holds in the means

Good news if true.

Ugh.

Day five of this unrelenting seven-plus-day domebusting f*ckfest of a heatwave. F*ck.

I wonder if you’d be mocking someone for complaining about a minor cool spell in a slightly cooler than average summer to date if we’d just gone through six consecutive very cool and cloudy summers in a row. I think I already know the answer. :)

Looks like the 12z EPS and control run agree with the operational.

The control run goes August 1992 on days 11-15.

30c4c9412a855ec5d643f5c55e44f4aa-full.pn

August 1992 was quite lovely here.

Things are actually lining up very well for winter. Solar is finally bottoming out (think 2008-09, 1995-96, and 1985-86!), El Niño is dying and is estimated to be neutral by winter, there’s the winter carryover effect that someone here mentioned, the Baffin Island vortex is finally gone which is conducive to arctic blasts, and this summer isn’t torching like we’ve seen far too often this decade.

Pretty much an anecdote, but here’s an observation about the last one: Coolest summers of the 2013-date period were 2013 and 2016. We all know what happened in the winters following those two summers. Even more interestingly, they’re three years apart, and now we’re three years from 2016.

I’m thinking cold and snowy for this upcoming winter, but to what extent I am unsure. Does anyone know what the most similar analog is to what we have now?

I wonder if you’d be mocking someone for complaining about a minor cool spell if we’d just gone through six consecutive very cool and cloud summers in a row. I think I already know the answer. :)

Triggered.  

I wonder if you’d be mocking someone for complaining about a minor cool spell in a slightly cooler than average summer to date if we’d just gone through six consecutive very cool and cloudy summers in a row. I think I already know the answer. :)

Then why did you waste your time typing this?

Settle. Go out and enjoy the day. It’s quite refreshing.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Things are actually lining up very well for winter. Solar is finally bottoming out (think 2008-09, 1995-96, and 1985-86!), El Niño is dying and is estimated to be neutral by winter, there’s the winter carryover effect that someone here mentioned, the Baffin Island vortex is finally gone which is conducive to arctic blasts, and this summer isn’t torching like we’ve seen far too often this decade.

Pretty much an anecdote, but here’s an observation about the last one: Coolest summers of the 2013-date period were 2013 and 2016. We all know what happened in the winters following those two summers. Even more interestingly, they’re three years apart, and now we’re three years from 2016.

I’m thinking cold and snowy for this upcoming winter, but to what extent I am unsure. Does anyone know what the most similar analog is to what we have now?

Just give me a 1995-1996 repeat and I’ll be happy.
  • Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just give me a 1995-1996 repeat and I’ll be happy.

I prefer my cold with snow, thank you very much. 13-14 sounds terrific.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Then why did you waste your time typing this?

Settle. Go out and enjoy the day. It’s quite refreshing.

Lunch break and we are at a site with good reception today. It’s hot and dusty up here. Waiting for those upper levels to cool!

At least the thunderstorm threat looks to be confined mostly to the east of the crest the next few days. Maybe I won’t dye.

Lunch break and we are at a site with good reception today. It’s hot and dusty up here. Waiting for those upper levels to cool!

At least the thunderstorm threat looks to be confined mostly to the east of the crest the next few days. Maybe I won’t dye.

Typing on a mountain equals typing in Hawaii.

More Timilarities!!!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.