October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

What a gorgeous trough!  Man that thing looks cold.

https://a.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?ir4km+12

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Rain band is holding together still and moving south fast. Currently 46 a chilly evening.

Not a c-zone... so it should hold together. Often times you see precip increase when it gets to the south Sound with northerly flow like this.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If the pattern repeats itself later this winter we all be in the sweet spot to score.

It just feels like it’s too early and shooting it’s waad.

What does Bastardi say?

He has an East bias but here's his preliminary winter forecast.

"The conditions in the oceans around the U.S. are ripe for major arctic outbreaks, but the early season, as has been the habit of late, is likely to start warm in the East. The worst-case scenario is a brutally cold old-fashioned winter. Precipitation should be plentiful again in the East given, the natural fight between the cold air to the west and the warm oceans to the east.

The West looks warm, though the Euro would argue that the Pioneer is onto something, sticking more cold into the southern Rockies. Buckle up, there is going to be plenty of cold around with January-March being colder against the normals in the East than December-February. If you start late with the winter, you are liable to end late."

https://www.weatherbell.com/preliminary-2019-2020-winter-forecast

"The conditions in the oceans around the U.S. are ripe for major arctic outbreaks, but the early season, as has been the habit of late, is likely to start warm in the East. The worst-case scenario is a brutally cold old-fashioned winter. Precipitation should be plentiful again in the East given, the natural fight between the cold air to the west and the warm oceans to the east.

The West looks warm, though the Euro would argue that the Pioneer is onto something, sticking more cold into the southern Rockies. Buckle up, there is going to be plenty of cold around with January-March being colder against the normals in the East than December-February. If you start late with the winter, you are liable to end late."

I am sure that will be anxiously attacked by some on here... but it would be sort of humorous if nature is not following any analog (throw out all the rules!) and we get stuck in a warm pattern from November-January while the Midwest and NE are snowy and brutally cold. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

FWIW, this was the Weatherbell prediction for 16-17:

http://www.weatherbell.com/images/imguploader/images/December_February_2016_17_update.png

http://www.weatherbell.com/images/imguploader/images/Winter_2016_2017_Snowfall_1_.jpg

The preliminary 2019-20 forecast also predicted that the Blob would stay strong throughout winter... surprise surprise, it's dying right now.

• Like 1

Hopefully it will be 47 and drizzle here for mid February when I will be in Mexico. Let’s front load this winter!

I agree with front loading... that would be nice.

THIS early is historically VERY good.  1949 and 1985 are a couple of examples.

The problem I have is I like Joe Bastardi and time and time again he says where the trough is this time of year will be replaced with a ridge.  Like a flip flop.  That would put the trough in the east and a warm death ridge out west.  There is probably a lot more technical crap going on behind the scenes though.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't get too high or too low based on a couple of weeks of "snappieness".

The problem I have is I like Joe Bastardi and time and time again he says where the trough is this time of year will be replaced with a ridge. Like a flip flop. That would put the trough in the east and a warm death ridge out west. There is probably a lot more technical crap going on behind the scenes though.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't get too high or too low based on a couple of weeks of "snappieness".

I am just going to enjoy the show... either outside or on here!

I love cold and snow in November and December... so I hope the predictions are right. And I am fine with not having cold and snow. And I really don't care if it gets ridiculously wet because we have several trips planned and I know I won't have to deal with it for very long in one stretch. :)

http://www.weatherbell.com/images/imguploader/images/December_February_2016_17_update.png

http://www.weatherbell.com/images/imguploader/images/Winter_2016_2017_Snowfall_1_.jpg

The preliminary 2019-20 forecast also predicted that the Blob would stay strong throughout winter... surprise surprise, it's dying right now.

Yeah, almost the exact opposite happened.

XQEiawT.png

• Like 1

Looking at my recording thermometer I came to realize it dropped to 40 here during the period of rain and hail that moved through in the mid afternoon.  That has to be some kind of an all time record for this early in the season!  So far my numbers for today are 52-40.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This early cold is exciting. Hope it translate into thanksgiving snow!

You never know.  1949 had a huge torch in November after the very cold October.  After that December was decent and January was epic.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They blew last winter also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There is a reason that Mr. Nelsen doesnt do long range forecasts. He wants to be credible.

Nelsen is great. Been a little while since he was completely and utterly wrong (January 11, 2017 was the last big one, but everyone was wrong then). Not to say that he's perfect, but he's my favorite met.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I knew it, theirs a dome over Federal Way

really was a beautiful sunset in the South sound with that front.  

Precipitation sucked

ended up with 0.05” here 0.07” for the day. Should be a cold morning tomorrow, already 44 here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Guest CulverJosh

Nelsen is great. Been a little while since he was completely and utterly wrong (January 11, 2017 was the last big one, but everyone was wrong then). Not to say that he's perfect, but he's my favorite met.

Glad you see that. You werent alive when he was starting out. You never saw the Boz.

• Like 2

Glad you see that. You werent alive when he was starting out. You never saw the Boz.

I regret to say that I haven't-- I've heard only legendary things about Jim Bosley.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Very gross day here... cold and wet and raw and dark.

My definition of gross.

Better than a death ridge.

The Boz was my favorite in the 90s. His forecasts for the 92-93 Willamette Valley specials were wonderful. Wish someone had tapes of them.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

If the pattern repeats itself later this winter we all be in the sweet spot to score.

It just feels like it’s too early and shooting it’s waad.

What does Bastardi say?

Would need a different tropical forcing structure to achieve this pattern in the midwinter period. The wavenumber is still much higher now than it will be at any time during the winter.

.03 here for the day

Everything just kind of fizzled over me, It was great seeing the fun activity around the area with hail and snow though. Good things are happening

Weather has been pretty interesting since late August it seems. However today getting accumulating snow down to 1000’ in some places west of the cascades is nuts. Getting the feeling it’s going to be a really active season coming up.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0