October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Question for Phil. If this is a top 3 +IOD what are the other two years? It appears it might be good for us.

They’re all close. The other big dogs are 1972/73, 1994/95, 1997/98, and 2006/07.

Which were all niños, or evolved that way. Probably a safe bet that 2019/20 will do likewise, at this point.

They’re all close. The other big dogs are 1972/73, 1994/95, 1997/98, and 2006/07.

06-07 was a pretty interesting one here. Snow in late November on 11/28, high temp of 69 on 12/5 and the hanukkah storm on 12/14. Had snow and cold for a week in mid January as well.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Nelsen is great. Been a little while since he was completely and utterly wrong (January 11, 2017 was the last big one, but everyone was wrong then). Not to say that he's perfect, but he's my favorite met.

There was one year he confidently stuck a fork in winter in early February, only to be rewarded with a late February arctic blast.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

CPC usually has an El Niño fetish, but for some reason they’re reluctant to pull the trigger this time. Strange.

If the pattern repeats itself later this winter we all be in the sweet spot to score.

It just feels like it’s too early and shooting it’s waad.

What does Bastardi say?

I don't think Bastardi has predicted a cold western winter in his entire career. FWIW.

Thats what I have been calling for all along, just one solid torch where we can enjoy Christmas in our shorts. I know you and I, along with most people in the area would be perfectly happy with mild temps, maybe some occasional rain, and just a pleasant Redding like winter once this last bout of cold is past us.

Most normal people would agree that this sounds delightful. Just want you to know that.

Some rain and some hail or ice pellets. Gross day. Sun just to the north though.

You have become someone who only like sunny days and not a good weather day. You had mentioned that is was strange to enjoy a cold and uncomfortable day. How is a scalding hot 90 degree day not uncomfortable in some way? Oh Tim...
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

EUG spiked to 63F at 1PM but is now down to 52F. Wind still out of the west.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Maybe if you are logged into wunderground in you can’t search for your own for some reason.

Cool that you set up a station though. Been on my list for awhile.

I can pull it up with my profile. I searched while logged in and logged out. No luck. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thats what I have been calling for all along, just one solid torch where we can enjoy Christmas in our shorts. I know you and I, along with most people in the area would be perfectly happy with mild temps, maybe some occasional rain, and just a pleasant Redding like winter once this last bout of cold is past us.

Redding averages more rain than Portland and Seattle in winter, FWIW.

Also, pretty sure Mount Shasta Ski Bowl holds the WR for most snow in a single storm. 

You have become someone who only like sunny days and not a good weather day. You had mentioned that is was strange to enjoy a cold and uncomfortable day. How is a scalding hot 90 degree day not uncomfortable in some way? Oh Tim...

FWIW... I don't really like to be hot or cold.   And the older I get... the less I like either extreme.   I prefer something in the middle.

I don't get too excited about hot or cold weather.    Those are just things that happen.    But since moving here... I definitely get edgy when its cloudier and darker than normal.   Normal is cloudy and dark enough.

But I know people have different opinions and that is cool too.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Which were all niños, or evolved that way. Probably a safe bet that 2019/20 will do likewise, at this point.

All of those years had much warmer ONI at this point, and had been on an upwards trajectory to now. Significantly different than 2019. Tough to ignore that.

A forum for the end of the world.

CPC usually has an El Niño fetish, but for some reason they’re reluctant to pull the trigger this time. Strange.

:lol:

Because most signs point to this being a neutral winter. 2014 is about the only year you'll find that had similar ONI to where we're at now and developed into a Nino later. And it was pretty weak.

A forum for the end of the world.

Great station name!

"marinersblow"

And accurate.

20191008-210653.jpg

Had season tickets growing up from 1990 to 1999. I'm a baseball first fan. The mariners flat out blow. It's literally my username for almost everything since the late 2000's. I don't see that changing for another decade or so.

• Like 1

00Z shifted most heavy rain south into Northern California, so obviously the coming pattern is very dynamic as to whether our region gets some heavy rain.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Let’s hope this doesn’t end up being the prevailing precipitation pattern again this winter.

Well, California-centered precipitation worked out well for us in January and February 2017. But I'm sure we'll see our fair share of stormy weather.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

All of those years had much warmer ONI at this point, and had been on an upwards trajectory to now. Significantly different than 2019. Tough to ignore that.

Which is indicative of the niño-esque tropical circulation that has established, regardless of the ONI. Indo-Pacific subsidence associated with the +IOD is constructive to +ENSO.

Also, Niño-4 has been in El Niño territory for awhile now, and there’s a coherent downwelling OKW propagating eastward under a continued weak trade wind regime.

Given this, there is essentially zero scientific basis to project a cool ENSO base this winter. It is simply not going to happen.

• Like 1

:lol:

Because most signs point to this being a neutral winter. 2014 is about the only year you'll find that had similar ONI to where we're at now and developed into a Nino later. And it was pretty weak.

There’s more to ENSO than SSTs and the ONI.

Educate yourself. :)