December 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Timmy Supercell

Did I say you were wrong? :)

Just pointing out that the warmth in AK did correlate to cold in the lower 48. Sometimes that includes the PNW, sometimes it does not, but regardless - when it's warm in AK during the cold season, it usually gets cold downstream to the south.

No exception last month.

Yeah but no one was talking about the implications for the rest of the country with regard to Fairbanks torching.

The fact that high latitude blocking often leads to cold SOMEWHERE in the mid-latitudes isn’t exactly breaking news. :) :)

• Like 1

This is what happens when the 10-15 day EPS starts trending cooler and wetter.

He hasn’t posted in the banter thread either and the game is on...very unusual.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Where has Tim been?

Too busy today.

I have been posting maps that show hope for a mountain snow pattern all the time... I very much want it to happen.   We are going to Hawaii soon anyways... so a wet and cold pattern would be even better.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The ECMWF weeklies continue to advertise a cold late December / early January.  Great consistency over the last dew updates.  The mean and the control have similar idea, but the control is much more extreme as would be expected.  Good negative PNA signal.

At this point it appears things will be getting much more interesting as we get into the mid part of week 2.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF weeklies continue to advertise a cold late December / early January. Great consistency over the last dew updates. The mean and the control have similar idea, but the control is much more extreme as would be expected. Good negative PNA signal.

At this point it appears things will be getting much more interesting as we get into the mid part of week 2.

Do you predict it’ll get cold on time for Christmas?

Yeah, there are way too many factors at play during the course of a season that we will never see a winter replay a previous one. I like the CPC analogs but from each run, the analogs it displays can change quite a bit showing that a slight shift in the pattern can lead to vastly different results. One of the reasons why I don't pay attention to them as much as I use to.

Analogs are one of many tools that we can use.  It's extremely complex so you have to look at many different things to see if any good signals jump out.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Outside of 120 hrs is at best a trend. And that is pushing it.

Inside 72 hrs=50% at least, 72-120 hrs=20% at best, more than 120 hrs= 5-15-%; closer to 5%

Might depend what variables you are looking at. 500mb verification scores are a lot higher than 15% at 120hrs.
  • Like 1

Hoping to see the GFS get its act together jumping onboard the EURO/GEM with a large trough in the Gulf of Alaska, consolidated jet stream, and flat ridge offshore as zonal flow finally breaks through. In analyzing the 12z runs after around Day 6 I see huge differences arise and that's when the GFS goes off the rails with its split flow garbage.

Do you predict it’ll get cold on time for Christmas?

I've been feeling it for late December for a while.  I think the chances for having a pattern capable of producing snow somewhere around Christmas is pretty decent.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah but no one was talking about the implications for the rest of the country with regard to Fairbanks torching.

The fact that high latitude blocking often leads to cold SOMEWHERE in the mid-latitudes isn’t exactly breaking news. :) :)

Eh, whatever. You took it like I was trying to argue with you...I wasn't. Just adding more context to the discussion.

A forum for the end of the world.

Might depend what variables you are looking at. 500mb verification scores are a lot higher than 15% at 120hrs.

Indeed.  I think people are way to skeptical sometimes.  There are many reasons the time frame being shown in the weeklies for being cold has a decent chance of being correct.  The LRC and current MJO position / MJO forecasts are pretty heavy evidence all by themselves.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hoping to see the GFS get its act together jumping onboard the EURO/GEM with a large trough in the Gulf of Alaska, consolidated jet stream, and flat ridge offshore as zonal flow finally breaks through. In analyzing the 12z runs after around Day 6 I see huge differences arise and that's when the GFS goes off the rails with its split flow garbage.

The 12z GFS almost got good.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like November was the inverse of October. Let's keep that up through December and then flip it for January. Ok guyz?!

Classic.  Many of our great winters have a cold Oct / warm Nov combo before them.  November was kind of odd in that it still had some decently chilly weather early and late.  That two day inversion before the late month cold snap really did well in my area which kept the monthly average right at normal.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sliding east like usual. What else is new? The ol’ west coast warm finger will be on full display.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope