Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Steady snow beginning to mix with graupel at my location, I think anyway. Temperature has been steady at 32.4/32.5 since today's event began around 12:30. Easily another 2+ inches out there. Tree branches really starting to sag. Hoping the forecasted change to rain never happens! Central Kitsap schools have been closed all week and I highly doubt they'll be able to open tomorrow without any rain to help melt what we've received.

Over 10" since Sunday here.  :D

ECMWF is on track... it showed this band moving through this afternoon with better accumulations north of Seattle.   The second band looks weaker on the ECMWF with precip more focused west of the Sound.    It shows temps warming up this evening to around 40 in Seattle by midnight.   And it shows a band of precip moving from west to east early tomorrow morning after the low has moved well north and that could have some wet snow probably because of timing in the early morning.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Picked up 1.5" here in an hour from that first band. Gone to light snow now and I think that may be it for the day here unless that band down SW of Olympia can impact our area again this evening.

Nice to see heavy snow falling during the day! Season snowfall now also at exactly 10 inches here which feels nice.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Picked up 1.5" here in an hour from that first band. Gone to light snow now and I think that may be it for the day here unless that band down SW of Olympia can impact our area again this evening.

Nice to see heavy snow falling during the day!

You just keep winning!

Side note... wind just kicked in here. No accumulation with that band.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

ECMWF is on track... it showed this band moving through this afternoon with better accumulations north of Seattle. The second band looks weaker on the ECMWF with precip more focused west of the Sound. It shows temps warming up this evening to around 40 in Seattle by midnight. And it shows a band of precip moving from west to east early tomorrow morning after the low has moved well north and that could have some wet snow probably because of timing in the early morning.

So it won’t rain until perhaps tomorrow?

Easterly gradient now up to -17mb.

Someone on Twitter said North Bend Elementary gusted to 49mph per Weatherbug - not sure how accurate that is. Other than that though, still not really seeing any gusts that support the gradient.

Euro said the winds should be peaking by 4/5PM and it showed gusts up to or crossing 50mph on I-90 at 3PM.

That might be accurate... that station is pretty good. Sometimes the wind in the valley is much more extreme than here... there has been nothing that strong here though.

Look at Jaya recent tweet. Another band later?

Look at the wrap around band coming past the south end of the Olympics.  It is what is giving GHweatherChris snow right now.  Looks juicy. Its feeding North but right now slamming into the mountains.  It should start coming up the Peninsula soon and maybe over Sea. That is what I see on the radar.

Look at the wrap around band coming past the south end of the Olympics. It is what is giving GHweatherChris snow right now. Looks juicy. Its feeding North but right now slamming into the mountains. It should start coming up the Peninsula soon and maybe over Sea. That is what I see on the radar.

It is not as intense as the radar shows, so far, might have better dynamics the further inland it tracks.

• Like 1

ECMWF is on track... it showed this band moving through this afternoon with better accumulations north of Seattle.   The second band looks weaker on the ECMWF with precip more focused west of the Sound.    It shows temps warming up this evening to around 40 in Seattle by midnight.   And it shows a band of precip moving from west to east early tomorrow morning after the low has moved well north and that could have some wet snow probably because of timing in the early morning.

Can you show us what the west sound might look like from 4 pm - 4 am?

I would like to see the colors, please.

This is a dynamic front with all that cold air feeding in behind it. Some major temperature drops along the Central Oregon coast along with thunderstorms. North Bend on the Southern Oregon coast has dropped from 50 at noon to 41 on the 3pm hour. 1 1/3KM WRF drops the snow level to around 500' in the Central Valley tonight as the front hangs up along the Cascades. This map seems a little overdone, but its fun to look at. 

83174752_822206824907208_421451663149105

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Super nasty and rainy out there now. Down to 45F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Easterly gradient now up to -17mb.

Someone on Twitter said North Bend Elementary gusted to 49mph per Weatherbug - not sure how accurate that is. Other than that though, still not really seeing any gusts that support the gradient. 

Euro said the winds should be peaking by 4/5PM and it showed gusts up to or crossing 50mph on I-90 at 3PM. GFS said gusts would only reach about 35mph, which seems to be more in line with at least a couple stations. Depending on how this next hour or so goes, I might have given the GFS too much grief this morning.

Live view from North Bend... it does not look that windy there.   There is still snow on the trees.  

nb-1-15.png

We’re doing everything we can South Sound to keep this week a none event so Portland doesn’t feel left out. We’ve done a pretty good job at accomplishing that goal but today i was very worried  with the intrusion of moisture and seeing a few snowflakes.  Anyhow, East winds figured it out and created a nice hole around us.  Good to know we have the Olympics to our west and dry wind from East protecting us at all times.

36.4*

26* dp

• Like 2

I thought none of the precip from this storm today was going to make it to Seattle due to the strong offshore flow:)

Never showed none... but it always looked limited.