Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

It would be nice to have February surprise us again and deliver. Like I said earlier... January 2005 and 2011 both led to February 2005 and 2011. Could still potentially see something happen next month even though this month busted for most us especially south of seattle. Just glad we were able to score 1.5" out of this event better than nothing...broke the January curse still.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I agree on that part but when everyone was calling me and already had 10-15" on the ground before midnight and I'm still getting warm nosed and rain until 4am, it was a really tough pill to swallow.

I had snow through that entire event at 33/32 degrees so I wasn't warm nosed. I just wasn't getting the explosive precip rates that were over the center of town. That was another factor in that event.

It would be nice to have February surprise us again and deliver. Like I said earlier... January 2005 and 2011 both led to February 2005 and 2011. Could still potentially see something happen next month even though this month busted for most us especially south of seattle. Just glad we were able to score 1.5" out of this event better than nothing...broke the January curse still.

February 2005 was basically a nothing month. Some wet snow in Bellingham but that was it. Very ridgy. You might be thinking of 2001 which had a Seattle-Tacoma snowstorm, or perhaps 2006 which delivered some arctic air. 

February 2005 was basically a nothing month. Some wet snow in Bellingham but that was it. Very ridgy. You might be thinking of 2001 which had a Seattle-Tacoma snowstorm, or perhaps 2006 which delivered some arctic air.

yeah it was 2006 I was thinking of...I get 05 and 06 mixed up sometimes lol. I don't think there was any action in January 06.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I had snow through that entire event at 33/32 degrees so I wasn't warm nosed. I just wasn't getting the explosive precip rates that were over the center of town. That was another factor in that event.

What I did end up with stayed on the ground for 3-4 days so that was nice but could have been really remarkable.  Just a few tiny flakes right now and that looks to have stopped.  Someday I'll tell my grand kids about the winter of tiny flakes. 

• Like 1

yes I'd love to hear how the higher elevations did. I would really love to live up there someday to experience the winter conditions. If I didn't have to be in the Tacoma area this week I would have gone up there to see how the storm has affected the island. Early March last year was pretty wicked when I was there.

Yes it was -- I heard  :(

We were on the ferry headed off island, to Mexico, just as the storm was starting last year. We came home to a large doug fir down on our property and some good stories from neighbors. 

- I'll edit and elaborate since I'm waiting for a ride... In general, after that storm, the east half of the island was cut off from the rest of the island due to downed trees in Moran State Park. Power was out for the most of the island, and San Juans in general, for about two days. Throughout the park there were around 40-50 trees blocking the one road that connects the two halves of the island. The park rangers, teaming with locals, needed about a day and a half to clear the trees and roadway. A lot of the trees were over 36" diameter - some pushing 60". If you look at the wind direction though, the majority of the downed trees were in an area that should have been shadowed by Mt Constitution. My personal opinion (and I'd love to collect some data on it if I had time) is that there was a compressive wave effect coming off the lee slope of Mt. Constitution. Cliff Mass documented this out by Lake Quinault a few years back. Most of the downed trees are still there, with only the portion crossing the roadway cleared, so you can still see today the size and quantity of downed trees if you drive through the park.

Gotta run and play...

• Like 1

Here's the estimated 72 hour accumulated snowfall as of 4 am this morning. Scale starts at less than an inch while dark blue is below 6", yellow is below 8", gold is below 12", red-orange is below 18".

AccumulatedSnowfall.png

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Yes it was -- I heard  :(

We were on the ferry headed off island, to Mexico, just as the storm was starting last year. We came home to a large doug fir down on our property and some good stories from neighbors. 

- I'll edit and elaborate since I'm waiting for a ride... In general, after that storm, the east half of the island was cut off from the rest of the island due to downed trees in Moran State Park. Power was out for the most of the island, and San Juans in general, for about two days. Throughout the park there were around 40-50 trees blocking the one road that connects the two halves of the island. The park rangers, teaming with locals, needed about a day and a half to clear the trees and roadway. A lot of the trees were over 36" diameter - some pushing 60". If you look at the wind direction though, the majority of the downed trees were in an area that should have been shadowed by Mt Constitution. My personal opinion (and I'd love to collect some data on it if I had time) is that there was a compressive wave effect coming off the lee slope of Mt. Constitution. Cliff Mass documented this out by Lake Quinault a few years back. Most of the downed trees are still there, with only the portion crossing the roadway cleared, so you can still see today the size and quantity of downed trees if you drive through the park.

Gotta run and play...

yeah I was very surprised by the mass downing of trees on the SW face of Mt.Constitution last March. That was one thing I noticed. There was heavy deep snow above 500' on the island too. It was really insane being up there in all the snow and cold...really wish I had gone up there to see what it was like the last few days.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Here's the estimated 72 hour accumulated snowfall as of 4 am this morning. Scale starts at less than an inch while dark blue is below 6", yellow is below 8", gold is below 12", red-orange is below 18".

attachicon.gifAccumulatedSnowfall.png

Enough to make me think about moving to a cabin in the Chuckanuts. 12-18" there (and they had 3-6" already before the latest round).

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

ALWAYS good sign

It's looking more and more like the big slushfest is going to be pushed back. Several hints that the Fraser outflow will persist longer than forecast, and when it ends, what displaces it is going to be around freezing, probably with a low dew point.

It's called clown range for a reason.

It's looking more and more like the big slushfest is going to be pushed back. Several hints that the Fraser outflow will persist longer than forecast, and when it ends, what displaces it is going to be around freezing, probably with a low dew point.

Might keep it colder which is great but the east wind is a problem for my area

Enough to make me think about moving to a cabin in the Chuckanuts. 12-18" there (and they had 3-6" already before the latest round).

Where would you go in the Chuckanuts? Like Samish side or Chuckanut drive side?

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

To bad, this could not be one of those events where that massive low pressure system pulled in more cold air while throwing moisture (snow) over the top. That would have been fun. This slow moving northern offshore path just sucks!!

• Like 1