June 2023 Observations & Discussions

westMJim

Two interesting maps showing the differences in amounts from east to west.
Also, had some relatives come out for a funeral in the Kearney area, about 30 miles northeast of me. They are from Bloomington Illinois. They were stunned how lush and green everything is as you drive towards Central Nebraska, as they are drying up in parts of Central Illinois. IMG_1399.thumb.png.46472e9aeeec7f8cbbdd63d8b3f0b472.png

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

DVN AFD hints at possible MCS's next week.  The 6z GFS starts dropping lots of rain for many areas that need it.  Fingers crossed we finally see a break in this pattern.  

Early next week looks to start out with seasonable temperatures
with northwest flow aloft. There could linger small diurnally
driven precipitation chances Monday and Tuesday. Then, by the
middle to latter part of next week and immediately beyond the
heat dome looks to amplify and build northward once again. This
will bring a return of very warm/hot temperatures with CPC
highlighting much of the area for a slight risk of excessive heat
6/29-7/5. Still some uncertainty with the magnitude as there`s a
signal that we could be near the storm track favored for ridge-
riding MCS`s.

qpf_acc-imp.us_mw.png

• Like 5

We picked up 0.15" of rain in East Nantmeal with greater amounts to the south and east of here last evening. Today should see a general lull in the rain with only a few scattered showers. It looks like steadier rain moves back in late tonight and tomorrow. Our unseasonably chilly days continue - in fact today has a chance to set a new record low maximum temperature. The current record is 65 degrees set way back in 1915. It will turn warmer and much more humid by tomorrow PM...with rain chances or probabilities continued for much of the next full week!
Records for today: High 97 (1921) / Low 42 (1940) / Rain 3.75" (1972)
image.png.2db0e3ea5e03324e0274f9792482987a.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

Hate to preach to the choir. But check out these  departure  from normal rainfal maps. Davis county  Iowa up to near Ottumwa  theres a small area which IS THE DRIEST IN THE USA! Except  for the nw coast.  This situation  was almost  identical  to 2017.  The area nnw of drakesville  barely has one inch in those 60 days. Keep in mind this area is the wettest  in iowa year round averaging  nearly 10 inches in may and june combined.

Screenshot_20230622_173008_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_171213_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230622_173008_Messages.jpg

• Like 4

We’re sitting at 89* at 5:12pm.
amazing.  We’re usually in the mid 90’s, sometimes higher this time in June. 
I’m not complaining.  I could take a few days per week like this throughout summer.  

I know it sounds crazy but this reminds me of summers in the 60’s, you know, before 100* became the constant?

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

On 6/21/2023 at 6:39 AM, Clinton said:

Heat and humidity will crank up some today and may really crank up as we get to the 4th.

Tab2FileL.png

0d40d5_a8f35c5806af405ca2bd29a5941bb26e~mv2.png

27-29th we will see 102-103.  
Thank heaven I got my A/C serviced.  

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 85/62 as has been the case for much of this month there was no rain fall. There was 56% of possible sunshine. There were 9 CDD’s For today the average H/L is 81/60 the record high of 98 was set in 1923 and the record low of 38 was set in 1919. The record rain fall of 3.17” fell in 1989.

Looking ahead, Today should be cloudy with a chance of showers more so to the east of GR. Tomorrow looks to be the last very warm day for a while and on Sunday through at least Tuesday there is now a good chance of some much needed rain fall. It will turn much cooler for Monday and Tuesday. In fact, the forecasted highs for both Monday and Tuesday if they play out wound be a top ten for the coldest maximum for both days. We shall see.

Happy Friday!  The trends in the models are looking pretty nice for our chances of storms late tomorrow night into Sun and again on Mon.  Cooler pattern setting up shop as we flip into July...we ain't gonna Fry for the 4th of July as a big trough forms over the MW/GL's region.  Early indications are for a system to track near the MW next SAT/SUN, which is when Chicago hosts its 1st ever NASCAR Race.  This will be a fun event for the city and something new for NASCAR.  The only thing is, the noise won't be as loud because the race cars will have mufflers on them and not a straight pipe.  That kinda sucks bc you wanna hear that power of these machines!  Nevertheless, it'll be a great way to showcase the "positive" side of things for the City of Chicago.

• Like 1

We indeed set a record low maximum temperature yesterday of 64.9 degrees. This made yesterday the lowest high temperature in Chester County history since records began back in 1888. An impressive 19 of the 22 days so far in June have averaged below normal temperatures. In fact overall so far this month this is the 7th coldest June in our history. It is also the coldest June in 20 years as 2003 was our 6th coldest June to date. We did not receive any measurable rain yesterday but that should change by this afternoon and evening. We should see some heavy rain at times thru later tomorrow afternoon. A little less likely to see rain on Sunday before rain chances increase again by Monday.Records for today: High 97 (1921) / Low 42 (1940) / Rain 3.75" (1972)
image.png.4524fd21935087f351e91ff7410cf2d7.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

Coming up Sunday and maybe through the overnight. 

Tab3FileL.png

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I'm in a bad situation, 76 mph reported in Fort Cobb, this prompted a PDS Severe Thunderstorm Warning for OKC.

It's heading towards me, this is also a heads up for @Black Hole and @OKwx2k4.

• Like 4
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

The rain has stayed to the east of our area. On the east side of the state Detroit and Flint has had 0.11" Ann Arbor 0.12" and Saginaw just 0.01" so far.  While temperatures in our area are in the upper 70's with cloudy skies on the east side of the state with that rain it has been in the upper 60's

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMT said:

Crossing my fingers that what the CAMs are showing today happens around here tomorrow.  we need some good heavy downpours.  a couple rounds would really be nice.  

Yes, I'm starting to get excited about later tomorrow. The SPC shifted the severe weather risks further to the east including tornado risk. All I want is heavy rain although I might be on the south end, just depends.

Just maybe we'll get a weather pattern change even without the Bermuda High in it's usual position. 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

day2probotlk_1730_torn.gif.3493ced5697ecc4f5802c14f846a8ca4.gif

FzU4M08WcAAggUK.jpeg

• Like 4

We are camping in Spearfish, SD for the next two days. Currently under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for golf ball sized hail. Enhanced risk of severe weather here tonight, per SPC. They are expecting an MCS or two with hail 2+ inches, frequent thunder/lightning, and possibly a tornado. Should be an interesting night in the tent!

• Like 1
  • Storm 2

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

We are camping in Spearfish, SD for the next two days. Currently under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for golf ball sized hail. Enhanced risk of severe weather here tonight, per SPC. They are expecting an MCS or two with hail 2+ inches, frequent thunder/lightning, and possibly a tornado. Should be an interesting night in the tent!

When you are safe from the Lightning, take pictures! There is a hook on radar!

A Fort Worth Police Department recruit and two of the Fort Worth Fire Department's personnel are recovering after a lightning strike as storms moved through North Texas Friday morning.
We've had storms North and East of Ft Worth. But I haven’t seen a drop. Some awesome thunder and nice clouds but I’ve missed this wave.  

Heat returns tomorrow.  Hopefully we’ll see more chances this summer. 
currently a pleasant 82 from these recent storms east of me. 
The 100’s return next week.  

26 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

When you are safe from the Lightning, take pictures! There is a hook on radar!

Here's a video I got while we hang out under a gas station with a bunch of other folks. Took it about 10 mins ago. Those streets you see in the video are now rivers from massive flash flooding.

• Like 1
  • Storm 2
  • scream 1

20 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

From the Eric Snodgrass video this evening, this is the total precipitation for the last 72 hours through 8 pm tonight, Thursday. That is quite a cutoff line as you move east. IMG_1406.thumb.png.9b253863ea03b84b2e0d3bad5d1c8b7f.png

The cutoff line of death for vegetation too… at this point I am expecting little to nothing tonight and tomorrow as the heaviest rain may end up being shunted north and east of the Omaha metro (hoping I am wrong, maybe reverse psychology will help at this point). Everyone loves severe to extreme drought conditions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Here's a picture of the flooding. Super bad right now. A guy was trying to cross the street and looked like he was about to be swept away.

20230623_162858.jpg

Flash Flood Warning is in Effect for that area

Tornado Emergency for Scottsbluff,NE--- and the TWC is ignoring it. Imagine that.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Cheyenne WY
731 PM MDT Fri Jun 23 2023

...TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR GERING & SCOTTSBLUFF...

The National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Eastern Scotts Bluff County in the Panhandle of Nebraska...
  Northwestern Morrill County in the Panhandle of Nebraska...
  Southeastern Sioux County in the Panhandle of Nebraska...

* Until 800 PM MDT.

* At 730 PM MDT, a confirmed large and destructive tornado was
  observed over Scotts Bluff National Monument, or near Scottsbluff,
  moving northeast at 30 mph.

TORNADO EMERGENCY for GERING & SCOTTSBLUFF. This is a PARTICULARLY
DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Deadly tornado.

SOURCE...Weather spotters confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris
           may be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile
           homes will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
           businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete
           destruction is possible.

* The tornado will be near...
  Terrytown around 735 PM MDT.
  Scottsbluff and Gering around 740 PM MDT.
  Scottsbluff Airport around 745 PM MDT.
  Minatare and Lake Alice around 750 PM MDT.

Other locations in the path of this tornadic thunderstorm include
Lake Minatare Campground and Lake Minatare.
  • Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hard to confirm- but it appears Scottsbluff may have taken a direct hit.  The Airport is on the NW side of town. *** correction-- NE side of town ***

Tornado Warning
NEC157-240230-
/O.NEW.KCYS.TO.W.0024.230624T0156Z-230624T0230Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Cheyenne WY
756 PM MDT Fri Jun 23 2023

The National Weather Service in Cheyenne has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Scotts Bluff County in the Panhandle of Nebraska...

* Until 830 PM MDT.

* At 756 PM MDT, a large and extremely dangerous tornado was located
  over Scottsbluff Airport, or near Scottsbluff, moving northeast at
  25 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris
           may be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile
           homes will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
           businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete
           destruction is possible.

* The tornado will be near...
  Lake Minatare Campground and Lake Minatare around 810 PM MDT.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Scottsbluff ASOS lost some sensors-- no wind , no temp/Dew , no ALWPG -- no celiomemter-- imagine that.

KBFF 240201Z AUTO TS A2981 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT ALQDS P0002 PWINO $
KBFF 240153Z AUTO 34020G29KT 2 1/2SM +TSRA BR BKN048 BKN055 OVC070 21/19 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 03030/0133 WSHFT 0135 LTG DSNT ALQDS RAB28 PRESRR SLP056 P0011 T02060189
KBFF 240053Z AUTO 04009KT 10SM TS FEW060 24/17 A2980 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT ALQDS TSB26E41B43 SLP050 T02390167

11 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

The cutoff line of death for vegetation too… at this point I am expecting little to nothing tonight and tomorrow as the heaviest rain may end up being shunted north and east of the Omaha metro (hoping I am wrong, maybe reverse psychology will help at this point). Everyone loves severe to extreme drought conditions.

Your reverse psychology is about to work wonders!  Yes!

1.png

Gotta give the 00z Euro credit, it was very accurate for this line compared to the CAM's to develop a line thru SE NE...

Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 5.11.17 AM.png

• Like 1