1/8-1/10 Panhandle Hook

I'd say the 12z HRRR is a bit over-juiced.

image.thumb.png.cfff46092402fc8f9e87d0ad7cd4a089.png

• Like 1
  • scream 1
  • bongocat-test 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 minutes ago, Clinton said:

SE trend continues

snku_acc-imp.us_c.png

Definitely more models have increased our totals since yesterday. The short range models were absolutely horrible for us yesterday. Are they struggling with thermals or track of the low itself? This system has been wild so far

• Like 3

Did not expect to see 8-12" forecasted, but I'll take it.

• Snowblower running - check 
  • Salt purchased - check 
  • Shovel(s) located - check 
  • TV working for the national championship tonight - check 
  • Cold beer - check 
  • Fully stocked whiskey - check 

LETS RIDE. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ATW said:

Definitely more models have increased our totals since yesterday. The short range models were absolutely horrible for us yesterday. Are they struggling with thermals or track of the low itself? This system has been wild so far

Struggling with both.  I'm just going to sit back and watch.  I expect little but won't be surprised by more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, East Dubzz said:

Did not expect to see 8-12" forecasted, but I'll take it.

• Snowblower running - check 
  • Salt purchased - check 
  • Shovel(s) located - check 
  • TV working for the national championship tonight - check 
  • Cold beer - check 
  • Fully stocked whiskey - check 

LETS RIDE. 

I took tomorrow off because of the game tonight.  I'm a big Michigan fan.  Go blue!    Unfortunately I'm riding the line between rain/snow.  Should get a couple inches on the front end of this though.  

• Like 1

Temp has been holding at 37.6 at my house this morning with rain at times. Radar suggests a transition to snow could be occurring soon but still rain here. Just hope the dynamic cooling kicks in and keeping an eye on the dry slot for now.

Looks like lots of folks on the sub are going to cash in on this one, so good luck to everyone!

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

FV3 is southeast as well, much better for KC.  In general, models are also dropping totals across northern Iowa.

image.thumb.png.4eb4463c023d1e81764148bc2936f59e.png

• Snow 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

25 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Struggling with both.  I'm just going to sit back and watch.  I expect little but won't be surprised by more.

Sounds good. Been fun tracking this one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, East Dubzz said:

I ain't scared of a little wobble before the storm. These models don't account for the East Dubzz factor. We're gonna get hit good. 

The East Dubzz factor is real! Good luck. Wish I was up there to experience it.

• Like 1

We are in the "warm" sector here with decent rains moving through this morning. A bit gusty too. Everything looks on track for rain with an isolated thunder into the afternoon before breaking up.

CAMs showing a few weak snow showers tomorrow morning, mostly to my east, but perhaps I can get a tenth of an inch of snow if I am lucky as it clears out. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

13 minutes ago, Jayhawker85 said:

Is it possible the GFS was correct the whole time keeping the southern route?!!

This is like a Chiefs playoff game with 2 minutes to go with Mahomes with the ball

I’m not buying it. I think you could Almost shave off the lower half of the snow shield in especially Missouri and be closer to reality. You’re in a better spot than me though

• Like 1

Heavy snow falling. 1.0-1.5” approximately so far. Has some graupel in it. We still have snow in most yards and some small drifts and piles from post Christmas storm.  
We will transition to drier snow as the temperature drops this afternoon. That’s when the 50 mph winds and blizzard conditions ramp up. Enjoy. 

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

5 minutes ago, KTPmidMO said:

Does anyone have a good radar that they use? Want something that reflects good. What does everyone use?

COD

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?parms=EAX-N0Q-1-12-100-usa-rad

• Thanks 1

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Oh sweet, that's my cue to drive 90 miles to a ski hill

Have to be honest- HRRR and RAP have me nervous, they have initial surge as -RA, which eats into snow totals. NWS basically discounted this in the AFD, but man, never know for sure until it's happening.

ICON is not wavering here in Iowa- but gives MO peeps more snow.

snku_acc-imp.us_mw.png

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

4 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

What is your prediction for snowfall in CR?

I've learned to be conservative.  I'm discounting the higher end of the range being pushed by the NWS and local mets.  I'll go with 6-8" for Cedar Rapids.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I've learned to be conservative.  I'm discounting the higher end of the range being pushed by the NWS and local mets.  I'll go with 6-8" for Cedar Rapids.

I also lean more conservative, unless we get one of those ideal situations where the flake size is large and can accumulate rapidly.  Not sure if that will be the case with this one or not. With winds expected to be fairly strong, flake size will likely be cut down, which could reduce snow totals as well.  I think 6-8" is a good call, but to be an optimist and differ slightly, I'll go 7-9". :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

This.  its just nice to have those totals be toward the bottom of guidance for once so we hopefully have a safe floor with this one.  

• Like 1

KWWL's forecast.

A Storm Track 7 RED ALERT DAY is in effect from early this evening through late Tuesday night. Significant, high-end snowfall accumulations are expected across the entire area as very strong winds lead to low visibility and near-blizzard conditions. Travel will be very difficult and dangerous. Expect widespread school and business closures. Plan ahead if you have to travel.

Overall accumulations will fall into a 9 to 13” range (yes, a foot or more of snow is possible) from near Tama to Elkader and all areas south. North of that line will fall into a 5 to 9” range.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1