39 minutes ago, Mercurial said:

My 3x great grandfather came to Butte in a covered wagon in 1867.  And Butte is routinely the coldest spot in MT.  At the time it was merely a mining camp with a hundred or so people. 

That's about when my wife's family settled in the Flint Creek valley if I remember correctly.  The core of the house my mother in law grew up in was actually the original cabin when they settled.  Not much bigger than a studio apartment, and to think that a decent sized catholic family crammed in there.  Today it is the kitchen, with an area for the washer/dryer and a small desk.

As it progressed through generations, they built out in pretty much all directions.  The downstairs is pretty nice but upstairs is rather "rustic"

When I first started going there they had 2 oil stoves to heat the house, but they have since been converted to propane.  The only way to get heat up there is through grates in the floor. Otherwise it was single pain glass and very little insulation.  One winter my wife and I had to sleep in the coldest room upstairs. We had one of those mineral oil radiator/heaters, 3-4 blankets, sweatpants, wool socks, shirt, sweatshirt, and flannel shirt and STILL froze.  I think it went into the mid negative 20's that night outside, no idea how cold it got for us inside.

Currently in Mt Vernon waiting to pick up my daughter at school. Gotten quite dark here with a few flakes. It was mostly clear when I got up here 20min ago so it will be interesting to get back home. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Down to 21, Dewpoint is 10.  I'm on the edge of the outflow cone, and how much wind I get is very dependant on how the elements driving the outflow align.  For the main outflow last winter, we really did not see much wind, and were pretty slow to cool down.  Not the case with this outflow.

Pretty much all of the snow that fell earlier has evaporated.  Nothing but frozen ground here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

Arctic front is definitely over-delivering up here. White out conditions, coming down hard. Probably will end up with a 2-3" in a couple of hours.

There will be surprises!

Send it my way please!!!!

4 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

Arctic front is definitely over-delivering up here. White out conditions, coming down hard. Probably will end up with a 2-3" in a couple of hours.

There will be surprises!

Ah crap no way that makes it to me....I've been looking at the Seattle radar, when I switched up to the radar in Abbotsford, that snow is evaporating as soon as it hits the main outflow winds.....oh well.

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

That CZ looks healthier than any model showed. 

It looks like it’s growing on the north and south side too.

• Like 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

That front reminds me of what 1990 might of looked like just watered down. There should be some thunder soon. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Here is what 12Z ECMWF showed for right now...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_3hr_inch-5014000.png

• Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Okay, here we go with the temperature drop. Down 4 degrees in twenty minutes to 29F.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)