Just now, lowlandsnow said:

Wow the convergence zone just almost disappeared

Yep. Right when I thought I was finally going to score it vanished out of nowhere 😂 areas with elevation near Mill Creek got a half inch to an inch, ended up with just a dusting on cars and grass here.

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I haven't seen it getting delayed... just different solutions during the process of the block lifting out.    Its been very consistent in the overall progression.   But there could be a window around day 6 or 7.  

I thought 16th and 18th looked El Niño or at least boring a few days ago, I may be wrong, I can’t check runs that long ago. But it has been getting better. Especially this 18z

• Like 1

Just now, lowlandsnow said:

Wow the convergence zone just almost disappeared

Getting split apart as the cold, dry air moves down the Sound.   I know everyone wants to say the models were totally wrong but that is what the ECMWF has been showing for several days.   The problem in this case is that the arctic front did not stall.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

It’s should be noted that EPS has had return to El Niño continue to be pushed back. And this runs ridge has a stronger base.

All eyes on this the middle of next week as we have nothing of importance over the next several days. 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

I thought 16th and 18th looked El Niño or at least boring a few days ago, I may be wrong, I can’t check runs that long ago. But it has been getting better. Especially this 18z

Yeah... sort of irrelevant given the short term stuff but I totally agree that window late next week could definitely be something if there is still cold air in place at the surface.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, iFred said:

Waiting for @Cold Snap

I’m here I’m wearing a sweatshirt that has adidas all over it.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

17 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Some commuters here probably won’t get home by midnight. Always happens when a storm rolls in during business hours on a weekday.

We have an office in Burnaby. I expect to get a lot of "Working From Home Today" emails in the morning.

• Like 3

Just now, van city said:

Ended up with 2 inches of Champaign Powder. 20240111_172055.thumb.jpg.f3e1a89cddd66aa0ffe7f18fd9d69cd4.jpg

I see lots of dip-n-dots there! 

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Getting split apart as the cold, dry air moves down the Sound.   I know everyone wants to say the models were totally wrong but that is what the ECMWF has been showing for several days.   The problem in this case is that the arctic front did not stall.  

It certainly never showed the giant blob over me

• Like 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... sort of irrelevant given the short term stuff but I totally agree that window late next week could definitely be something if there is still cold air in place at the surface.   

Short term stuff is over to me. Just cold. I don’t think I got enough snow to avoid losing it all via sublimation 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

It certainly never showed the giant blob over me

12Z ECMWF run sort of did... it had the right idea up there.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_6hr_inch-5035600.png

• Like 1

Just hit my coldest temp of the 2023/24 winter season so far! 

IMG_1787.jpeg

• Like 5
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I think some development in the south Sound is imminent.    I see it trying to come in from the west and the east.

• Like 5
  • bongocat-test 2

This is seriously the coolest thing. I've seen four bolts of lightning generally going the usual SW to E/NE. We even heard a huge crack of thunder over the blue mountain foothills to our south.

• Like 8
  • Storm 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

3 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

I was wrong it’s moving right over you

It will probably sit on us for several hours. Classic arctic front upslope. Basically the only time I beat everyone in totals

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

29 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

So we got about an inch out here which about what the models showed.  However... my wife just came home from work and had to park the car down the hill thanks to a school bus being sideways on the road.   I don't think there were any kids on it at the time... it was going back down after dropping off the kids up here.   I would love to be drinking a beer in Seattle right now but I knew it was not good evening to be trying to navigate the hills up here.   And I didn't want to miss what is likely the only snow I will get from this event!   

I lived this! I couldn’t get around that bus and then went around the other way into our neighborhood and wouldn’t you know it.. another bus is crashed into the stop sign and blocking that entrance. Parked at a friends and walked home.

IMG_7683.thumb.jpeg.d7034e0a4343ad7b892b69bd426582ad.jpeg

• Like 4
  • scream 1

3 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

This is seriously the coolest thing. I've seen four bolts of lightning generally going the usual SW to E/NE. We even heard a huge crack of thunder over the blue mountain foothills to our south.

news is talking about it.  Score!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have a feeling we're just going to see snowfall appear out of nowhere on the radar down this way.  The clouds have gotten much more organized in the past few minutes.  Down to 33 here now.  Going to be high ratio snow with this air mass.

Really pulling for you Jim. I know how much a wintery landscape means to you!

• Like 2

Hoping for some convergence off the SW side of the Olympics later this evening as the boundary gets closer to the Central Coast.  Can see the precip over the Olympics causing that all of sudden zone off the hood canal.  FYI, fully aware the models are not showing that scenario for it and I do not need a map showing that it isn't, hoping for the best.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

I lived this! I couldn’t get around that bus and then went around the other way into our neighborhood and wouldn’t you know it.. another bus is crashed into the stop sign and blocking that entrance. Parked at a friends and walked home.

IMG_7683.thumb.jpeg.d7034e0a4343ad7b892b69bd426582ad.jpeg

I just drove out with another car to see if we could go get it... not happening.  I got half way there and a car slid into the ditch right in front me.   Cars all over the place out there.   Its just an inch of snow but the roads are so incredibly slippery.   Going to wait for the county to clean up the roads and put de-icer down.  

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1