23 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Can't really tell here. I think it's all snow right now? Not hearing anything on the window anymore but sometimes it starts sounding like sleet for a bit. Either way it's been mostly snow since the early morning

Similar deal here, it has always been snowing but sleet seems to occasionally mix in. Keeps going back and forth. Will probably eat into our potential totals a bit but at least it has remained mostly snow. 

I'm not complaining though, its been a fun and interesting event so far especially with the easterlies going crazy and the incredible temps. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

My brother in sw Portland reports 14 degrees with snow and wind and no power. 

No power can be very serious with this cold.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

Winds picking up in my part of Everett. Pretty sure these are gusts out of the Skykomish valley. We bottomed out at 13° at the surface, but I have an elevated sensor that hit 9.6°.

Sounds like busted pipes are a thing already with neighbors complaint about water not working or finding ice under their sink. Up the hill from me there are a couple city streets with large patches of ice on the sidewalk and road, and a local coffee shop unable to serve anything espresso’d because of a lack of water.

Going to be an active week.

The plumbers are going to make some serious $ with this.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Snowdome said:

About an inch of this, but the sleet drifts are building up in areas

6885D66E-2098-42E4-B7ED-E7683B5ADD2E.jpeg

I think a sleet storm would be pretty cool.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Similar deal here, it has always been snowing but sleet seems to occasionally mix in. Keeps going back and forth. Will probably eat into our potential totals a bit but at least it has remained mostly snow. 

I'm not complaining though, its been a fun and interesting event so far especially with the easterlies going crazy and the incredible temps. 

Still heavy snow here but sleet mixing in at times and with the huge gust you can hear them smash against the window. Hoping it goes back all snow this afternoon when heavier moisture comes in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

Yeah he’s not happy. 

I would do anything possible to keep the house warm.  Camp stove, gas cooking range if he has that, wood stove, whatever.  The sad fact is many people have no backup heat source these days.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

SEA was at  20 at 11 a.m. so 20/15 on the day so far.    Might be a significant negative departure today?  😀

ECMWF shows 33/17 tomorrow.  

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

I was just down to the Port of Tacoma and was a bit taken by this!   Brackish water I assume but forgot my hydrometer at home to verify…loL.  Anyhow she’s freezing over! 

IMG_0618.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

No doubt there is tidal influence there.  You can tell by the shore.  That is stunning actually.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I know we haven't had a storm like this since 2014 but I have had this happen a number of times while I lived in Troutdale and Gresham. It is colder than some of those but most of the times it was around 20. Not has much in recent years I admit but look up the history of the east Portland areas and you will see many storms like this. I remember a teacher telling me years ago that in 1978 there were drifts up to the top of Troutdale Elementary which is a two story building. InJanuary of 1980 there was 3-4 feet of snow. I guess i should have said that this storm is typical of storms that happened here in the past but not recently.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Weather.com seems to think we get 8-12" still. I think we have 1-2" right now, too much wind to tell though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

I was just down to the Port of Tacoma and was a bit taken by this!   Brackish water I assume but forgot my hydrometer at home to verify…loL.  Anyhow she’s freezing over! 

IMG_0618.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

Super cool, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I would do anything possible to keep the house warm.  Camp stove, gas cooking range if he has that, wood stove, whatever.  The sad fact is many people have no backup heat source these days.

Kayla will probably be opening windows when it gets up to 20.  😀

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think a sleet storm would be pretty cool.

It’s been a lot more fun than expected! Kids are out sledding down the sleet covered hills. Hopefully we can get a layer of snow cover later this afternoon for the real fun. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

My Wood stove is working ot. It's my only heat source but it keep house 70 no problem even in this cold. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Switched over to 80% sleet here and not much has accumulated as a result now, bummer. I was hoping we'd have a chance at staying all snow. Oh well! Still really nice to have a solid coating of white, and it's looking really promising later in the afternoon. With these precip rates, things will definitely pile up quickly once we switch to all snow.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

Weather.com seems to think we get 8-12" still. I think we have 1-2" right now, too much wind to tell though

Yeah, heavy precip was modeled for this afternoon, but we’ll see. We have drifts 6-12 inches high but really hard to tell overall snowfall so far

• Like 2

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA was at  20 at 11 a.m. so 20/15 on the day so far.    Might be a significant negative departure today?  😀

ECMWF shows 33/17 tomorrow.  

What did ecm predict yesterday would be high today?

The temp has only risen a half degree here in the last two hours.  Sub 20 looking very possible for a max.  A bone chilling 16.5 right now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

Switched over to 80% sleet here and not much has accumulated as a result now, bummer. I was hoping we'd have a chance at staying all snow. Oh well! Still really nice to have a solid coating of white, and it's looking really promising later in the afternoon. With these precip rates, things will definitely pile up quickly once we switch to all snow.

It will probably switch back to snow.

• Like 5

Just now, snow_wizard said:

The temp has only risen a half degree here in the last two hours.  Sub 20 looking very possible for a max.  A bone chilling 16.5 right now.

20 right now after a low of 14. Should easily beat my coldest max of 24 from 2021. 

• Like 2

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Is the shield of overcast reaching up there at least? That should help. I love that we’re getting cold and snow when sun angles are still so weak they’re barely a factor.

• Like 4

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Kayla will probably be opening windows when it gets up to 20.  😀

One of the few that likes cold more than I do I think.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Don’t expect the sleet to last too long. The energy late afternoon could give Clark county 1-2” an hour snowfall rates if everything works out. 

• Like 5
  • Excited 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Is the shield of overcast reaching up there at least? That should help. I love that we’re getting cold and snow when sun angles are still so weak they’re barely a factor.

Yeah....solid heavy cloud cover.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3