January 14-16 Major Winter Storm and Arctic Blast

7 minutes ago, Black Hole said:

Here is the "last call" for 12z model runs, holding onto 1-3" for me. 

hrrr-scentus-total_snow_kuchera-5406400.pnggfs-deterministic-scentus-total_snow_kuchera-5406400.pnggem-all-scentus-total_snow_kuchera-5406400.pngnam-nest-scentus-total_snow_kuchera-5406400.png

Sitting under about 3 here in most of those. Not a bad last look. 

I see the radars filling in as everything saturates, so only a matter of time now. I think 2-3 is a good call for me.

Yeah, that snow out by KVNX is already overperforming. Definitely a win. 

• Like 3

Local Mets currently reporting 13.  Feels colder.  
Heavy cloud cover. 
Low areas reached 5 unofficially.  

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Here is the UKMET, already seems too low near OKC with snow falling there (2nd image is north side of OKC)

image.png

image.jpeg

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Our warmup forecast:

Wintry mix.  High 26. Low 11

40% chance light winter mix 

Wind chill Below Zero 🌨 

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

1 hour ago, jaster220 said:

#frozennation!

Most recent reported temperatures around the contiguous US.

Pretty sure I wasn't expecting Detroit to be colder than up north today, but I will be there this afternoon to get the real-feel surprise.

Wow!! That is odd.

This morning was a brutal 5F.WCF's well below zero. Heading down to below zero temps tanite.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Moderate snow here now, not adding up too quickly but everything is white at least. Heavier stuff still coming in from the west. 

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

9 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Definitely into some good snow here on the eastern edge of OK. Going to add up pretty quickly at this pace.

Up to about a half inch here. 20240114_125602.jpg

• Like 9

It was so cold  Patrick Mahomes helmet cracked and Andy Reid’s mustache froze!   
Now that’s football!

• Like 7

Of note the high was just 5F here today. The airport was probably 6F, one of the coldest ever recorded.

• Like 4
  • Shivering 3

W/ a nice snowcover (finally), temps bottomed out last nite at -3F. Hello January!!!  BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Possibly colder tanite.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

It was 1F at my place again overnight, but -3F at the Tulsa airport which is a record for the date. Looks like we will set another record low high today and quite possibly one last record low tomorrow morning before we moderate. It's been a good run for temperatures. 

• Like 1
  • Shivering 2

While the official low last night at GRR was -4 I live about 25 miles NW of the airport and the low in my yard was +1. The official snow depth at GRR is reported as 15” here in MBY I have 18” I had 3.5” of new snow yesterday. At 8:30 AM the temperature here in my yard is +2 with light snow falling.

• Like 1

It is almost 10am and my temp is still below zero (-1F). Not going too high today. Most likely in the low to mid single digits for highs. Its not that bad outside, if its not windy. I.e., I went for a jog at 5:45am and was tolerable w/ no wind.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Snow seems a little further south in Kansas than what short term models were predicting? RAP and HRRR saying just to the east of Salina, KS could pick up 4 inches of snow. No big models were picking up on that and RAP and HRRR seem to be reflecting that at the last minute as well. anyone close to these areas?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KTPmidMO said:

Snow seems a little further south in Kansas than what short term models were predicting? RAP and HRRR saying just to the east of Salina, KS could pick up 4 inches of snow. No big models were picking up on that and RAP and HRRR seem to be reflecting that at the last minute as well. anyone close to these areas?

NWS ICT has put the Salina area and points nearby in a WWA for up to three inches. I have picked up 1/2" in the past three hours and could see making it up to an inch easily. Radar has shown heavier returns generally south of I-70 so higher totals there make sense.

• Like 4

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

7 hours ago, Black Hole said:

It was 1F at my place again overnight, but -3F at the Tulsa airport which is a record for the date. Looks like we will set another record low high today and quite possibly one last record low tomorrow morning before we moderate. It's been a good run for temperatures. 

I'd say this event has definitely hit all of my personal "checkboxes" for great winter weather. I can be satisfied with it.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Clinton said:

I had a nice band of heavy snow move in about an hour ago and it dropped an inch of snow.  Moderate snow falling now with a temperature of 3.  @mlgamer is right this reminds me a lot of the 80s.  Let's keep it going!

Radar still looks pretty good down your way!

• Snow 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 hour ago, OKwx2k4 said:

I'd say this event has definitely hit all of my personal "checkboxes" for great winter weather. I can be satisfied with it.

The only thing it lacked was in amount of snow, at least for me. We still had bare patches when it was over, plenty of grass blades sticking through, etc. In that sense it didn't quite have that deep snow cover feel that you can get. I suppose if we want to get super picky it was pretty much entirely composed of small flakes, so the snow ratio never got that high. One of my favorite types of snow is the super light fluffy flakes. I didn't get that this go around. 

But that said, you can't have everything. So yes, it was a satisfying event. It was certainly enough that I am happy with the way it turned out! Having several days of subfreezing conditions while it's sunny has really made up for the lower amounts. The wind wasn't too bad either. Obviously, the temperature the snow fell at was amazing all on its own. 

1 hour ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Our forecasters also did an excellent job, in my opinion, given the changes and spread sometimes going into the last 48 hours of the forecast period leading up to the start. 

It was a fun event to work the main forecast desk at the Tulsa office. My favorite one since coming here! 

Sorry guys for not keeping you posted on my weather here lately. If I check this forum only maybe twice a week there's no way I can keep up during winter storms! Lol Anyway we had some epic winter snows here in se. Iowa with approximately 2'+ of snow last week, which probably makes for the snowiest week that I can remember of! We got 13" from the first storm about a week ago and another approximately 11.5" from the second storm. There's snow everywhere, but it blew into big drifts after the last storm making it a little easier to walk in a few places. It was difficult walking anywhere with snow reaching up to my knees at times! Some of the lower level house windows in the walk-in basement are half covered by snow. And the snowplows had to mount the huge blades like back in the 2007- '08 winter. Plus the road guys also used other equipment to clear roads. There were stranded people all over during the storms. 

I forgot to mention the weak system between the two big storms also produced only 1" of snow. 

Edited by Stormy
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Stormy said:

Sorry guys for not keeping you posted on my weather here lately. If I check this forum only maybe twice a week there's no way I can keep up during winter storms! Lol Anyway we had some epic winter snows here in se. Iowa with approximately 2'+ of snow last week, which probably makes for the snowiest week that I can remember of! We got 13" from the first storm about a week ago and another approximately 11.5" from the second storm. There's snow everywhere, but it blew into big drifts after the last storm making it a little easier to walk in a few places. It was difficult walking anywhere with snow reaching up to my knees at times! Some of the lower level house windows in the walk-in basement are half covered by snow. And the snowplows had to mount the huge blades like back in the 2007- '08 winter. Plus the road guys also used other equipment to clear roads. There were stranded people all over during the storms. 

I forgot to mention the weak system between the two big storms also produced only 1" of snow. 

Speaking of cold, the minimum temperature yesterday was - 19⁰ around 1:00 a.m! I'm not a fan of bitter cold, but that's to be expected with deep snow. It now has been below zero for approximately 2 days. 

Oops, I just noticed this comment should probably just be in the January thread. I'll just add a comment of the cold temperatures which should make it a little more relevant to this thread. 🥴

4 hours ago, Stormy said:

It has been a record week for IA folks...I just read that the Quad Cities and DBQ regions had a memorable stretch of winter weather...

JAN 9th-13th_Quad Cities_Snowiest_Week.png

• Like 3

I guess we ended up with a decent amount of snow, just took a while to get to higher amounts.

2-3" in the city, sounds like more a bit outside of Ashland city limits. This is a chilly snow too, its in the teens out and snow is falling. Most of the snow I've experienced is between a temperature of 28-35 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Snow 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

One last cold day today. -2F at the Tulsa airport, should be headed for about 21F today. We warm above freezing sometime tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

• Tom unpinned this topic