February 2024 Weather in the PNW

26 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

I wonder if @TT-SEA is seeing anything. Radar looks pretty decent over North Bend but it’s probably misleading.

Yeah.  the moisture is just getting eaten up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

13 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

We need more northerly momentum or a faster rotation. It could happen with a well-placed deformation zone. The dynamics are favorable with a slight nudge to the north.

Could happen if the deformation bumped much further north than modeled. Seems pretty unlikely right now. 

This is what Mark Nelsen posted in PDX Weather analysis just now. 

8pm "Crappy GFS" update:  Now we know and can confirm that it still sucks and was a real outlier this time. Temps running 4-5 degrees warmer than it had been showing for this hour. And the 2-3" snow hasn't shown up yet...probably not in next 1.5 hours either. All other models did far better predicting no evening snow in lowlands. GRAF for next two days shows similar setup, but warmer overhead of course makes it harder to snow. I really think in the close-in time period (1 day out) it's safer to stick with the high-res models (WRF-GFS, GRAF, 3KM NAM, HRRR, etc...)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tanis Leach said:

This is what Mark Nelsen posted in PDX Weather analysis just now. 

8pm "Crappy GFS" update:  Now we know and can confirm that it still sucks and was a real outlier this time. Temps running 4-5 degrees warmer than it had been showing for this hour. And the 2-3" snow hasn't shown up yet...probably not in next 1.5 hours either. All other models did far better predicting no evening snow in lowlands. GRAF for next two days shows similar setup, but warmer overhead of course makes it harder to snow. I really think in the close-in time period (1 day out) it's safer to stick with the high-res models (WRF-GFS, GRAF, 3KM NAM, HRRR, etc...)

Gfs not doing too bad up here. 

15 minutes ago, Jbolin said:

There is a confirmed fatality on SR 18 just east of Issy/Hobart. Likely due to wind via radio traffic. Heavy snow being reported there.  

I was out hiking Poo Poo Point trail earlier in that area.  Winds were blowing up on top! Sad news though :( 

IMG_1221.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_1212.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Tanis Leach said:

Also, I know I haven't posted in a while. I was in team no snow camp for this for PDX (see my YT channel as I posted something in the community tab). 

I never understood the over-reliance on GFS or the 2017 comparison. 

GFS is trash, people around here hang on it like its the gospel  

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Could happen if the deformation bumped much further north than modeled. Seems pretty unlikely right now. 

The angular momentum is the thing to watch for. It seems like this thing is set to get squashed through the Puget Sound. If the rotating band can't move further east it will get squeezed to the north while the low collapses into it. I think that's what some of the mesoscale models have been catching.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jbolin said:

Pic from the scene of the fatality on SR 18. Radio traffic indicates a lot of fallen trees in that area. 

Screenshot_20240214_214719_X.jpg

*** that sux

Driving down the road and.boom you are dead just like that. I've driven that road 500 times. I wish they would close it and fix it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shivering 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

*** that sux

Driving down the road and.boom you are dead just like that. I've driven that road 500 times. I wish they would close it and fix it.

They "did", it used to be a narrow two lane death trap that averaged two or more fatal accidents every month between 1992 and 1998. They added two additional lanes with a huge median separation. That project took years to complete. (New funding) has been secured to add lanes and improvements from Issaquah/Hobart east to Tiger summit beginning in 2025.

It's actually much safer now than it was 25 years ago. But I do agree w/you (to an extent).

6 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

*** that sux

There are a lot of things wrong with that section of road, but the trees are something that's a risk on so many roads around here.  Could happen out in 410 between Enumclaw and Crystal or on Hwy 2 or on 101. It's a busy road so chances are just increased. Sending thoughts for peace for the family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

Where is all the snow reports?

IMG_8353.thumb.png.b6253f85f7fb2627173b1c528f3d328b.png

Most of what you're seeing on radar east of the Puget Sound is evaporating before it reaches the ground.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019