March 2024 Weather in the PNW

11 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Fred wants to ban me, but probably decided not to because this entire forum would collapse if I wasn't here, my opinion and preferences being the most valid ones is holding this sausage fest together.

(It sucks that I need to clarify this but I worry I'll get banned if I don't clarify, that comment was sarcasm)

Sir, you are in a safe sarcasm space. I still maintain the right to ban you for whatever the hell I want to.

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

47 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

that's a very heavy frost, wow

Was curious to see if my phone could differentiate between frost and snow…Looks like technology has a long way to go yet. 

IMG_3949.jpeg

• lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Run after run showing the Texas eclipse being cloudy, this is going to be a nail biter.

• Excited 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

21 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Run after run showing the Texas eclipse being cloudy, this is going to be a nail biter.

I got a house in Arkansas.. hit me up if you are scrambling

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 2
  • Sick 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Wet morning here. 44 degrees. Have picked up over .20” on the day so far.

Wet out here as well through about 9am, but radar now looks to clear up until late afternoon. Was expecting an all day soaker 🤔 

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

8 minutes ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Wet out here as well through about 9am, but radar now looks to clear up until late afternoon. Was expecting an all day soaker 🤔 

Phone forecasts can be pretty misleading.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 hour ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I got a house in Arkansas.. hit me up if you are scrambling

Thanks for the offer, but luckily we picked up a hotel reservation last night a bit outside of the eclipse totality area in Arkansas as our backup plan. Traffic will probably be crazy that day so if needed we'll just have to leave at 4am to secure a spot to view the eclipse.

12z run was the first great run for my planned area in Texas since Mondays 18z, really terrible for Arkansas though. Only 294 hours out, probably no room for it to improve at this range. Kinda weird that this map uses blue as clouds and white as clear skies, youd think itd be the opposite.cloudcover.us_sc.thumb.png.d69fc7dbeb9b1f7e956a73bf2266b4e2.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Thanks for the offer, but luckily we picked up a hotel reservation last night a bit outside of the eclipse totality area in Arkansas as our backup plan. Traffic will probably be crazy that day so if needed we'll just have to leave at 4am to secure a spot to view the eclipse.

12z run was the first great run for my planned area in Texas since Mondays 18z, really terrible for Arkansas though. Only 294 hours out, probably no room for it to improve at this range. Kinda weird that this map uses blue as clouds and white as clear skies, youd think itd be the opposite.cloudcover.us_sc.thumb.png.d69fc7dbeb9b1f7e956a73bf2266b4e2.png

Sounds good. This will only change a billion times.

• Excited 1

13 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Snow!

image.png.5c6dbe36115e395173312eb58c4df0b5.png

Nice! We've been just a few degrees too warm for snow today,  hopefully we'll be able to get some snow tonight or Friday night, NAM is calling for us to pickup 2" Friday night.

6 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

My brother in law also has a plane, so our backup plan is to take to the air...

• Excited 1
  • scream 1

19 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Those cloud maps are way overly pessimistic. Very unlikely all of those states will have 100% cloudcover like that. They seem to translate any cloudcover as 100% cloudcover as evidenced by the extremely sharp cutoff between full cloud cover and zero clouds it's predicting. That's rarely reality.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

13 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

D*mn, that'd be really cool seeing it from a plane, would also have an awesome view of the line of the eclipse below you. If it ends up being cloudy there, hopefully they'll stay below 15k feet, because I know that often times their clouds can be pretty high up.

I wonder how it is to pilot a plane and view an eclipse at the same time, I'd assume it isn't too bad but you might not be able to give 100% of your attention to the eclipse 

• Excited 1

14 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I’ve always found it interesting how overrepresented the 1% is on a weather forum. Armchair psychiatry here, but I can see how it would be easy for someone who can pay to customize every other aspect of their lives to obsess over the weather, since it’s one of the rare things out of their control. Kind of an equalizer in a way.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3
  • Shivering 1

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve always found it interesting how overrepresented the 1% is on a weather forum. Armchair psychiatry here, but I can see how it would be easy for someone who can pay to customize every other aspect of their lives to obsess over the weather, since it’s one of the rare things out of their control. Kind of an equalizer in a way.

He is in the Air Force and the plane was willed to him from his father. But sure. He is an elitist. 

• Like 5
  • lol 3
  • Weenie 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Nice to see Snoqualmie getting snow this morning. Puking up there right now.

090VC05200 (1).jpg

• Like 7

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

19 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Good lord give it a rest already. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Had a few light showers today. Still overcast in the mid 40s last I checked.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

27 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Hi Jesse! Long time listener, first time caller…

I'm wondering if this applies to those who have the means to flee to AK to escape a few days 70 degree weather?

I’ll take my answer off the air. Have a great day and love the show! 

• Like 3
  • lol 3
  • Popcorn 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

13 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Oops that was a typo, meant to say Fred, idk why but my stupid brain mixes up Phil and Fred. This is definitely NOT not the first time I've called Fred "Phil", or vice versa.

And I love how at first your post said "this place would be pretty boring without you, especially in the off season" but then you edited your post to what it is now because you decided that it was probably too kiss-a*s. Also didn't you think for awhile that I was dabears? Still wondering what they did to get banned and what I did that reminded you enough of them that you were confident I was dabears.

Lol, I’ve already told you that. 😉 I deleted it because I didn’t want to trigger a roundabout discussion on when/why posters should be banned.

I stand by what I said, though! This place can get quiet during the offseason, and I find you entertaining.

• Popcorn 2

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lol, I’ve already told you that. 😉 I deleted it because I didn’t want to trigger a roundabout discussion on when/why posters should be banned.

I stand by what I said, though! This place can get quiet during the offseason, and I find you entertaining.

I keep calling @Phishy Wx Phil.

• Excited 3
  • Popcorn 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

2 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Way too early to decipher details at the regional-level.

If it’s not cloudy we’re planning on driving to OH or PA/NY, should be a 5hr trip at most.

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

The guilty conscience responses are pretty amusing 😂 

All this does is make you look like a jealous individual. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

All this does is make you look like a jealous individual. 

Hey, obviously I have it good enough to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about the weather too. Maybe not private jet good, but I’m ok with that.

52 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I think you mean 25%, most posters here are in that (but not all), but I don't know if anyone here is in the top 1%, except maybe mrsnowmizer..

And don't act like you aren't in the top 20% too.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, AlTahoe said:

comparison time. Same date last year and this year.

SmartSelect_20240327_093403_Gallery.jpg

20240325_190442.jpg

An average, run-of-the-mill snowstorm for you would be among the most epic blizzards any of us have experienced. Count your blessings, friend. 

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Phone forecasts can be pretty misleading.

No excuse for anyone on this forum to be using phone app forecasts. Come on.

59 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Those cloud maps are way overly pessimistic. Very unlikely all of those states will have 100% cloudcover like that. They seem to translate any cloudcover as 100% cloudcover as evidenced by the extremely sharp cutoff between full cloud cover and zero clouds it's predicting. That's rarely reality.

Yes. Thin, wispy cirrus is counted as 100% cloud cover on that particular map. The nature of cloud cover associated with springtime continental cyclones is fairly predictable as well, just need to get within range of synoptic predictability and the rest will fall into place.

• Thanks 1
  • Popcorn 1