Super Bowl Weekend Major Snowstorm

Tom

DuPage county doing really well with these Lake Effect bands.  I'm sitting underneath another one right now.

I'm under the one in Kane haha it's like it broke off and said let's give this guy some more snow! Still up to the N of the lake in Kenosha and just making it's way ever so slowly to the S. 

I don't really have any way to get a good final measurement because the wind blows too much snow out of the grass part of my yard, so I'm just going with 11.5 inches.  That would mean I got about 2.2 inches through the afternoon, which is reasonable.  A few others in CR reported 12.5, but I'll remain conservative.  I don't want to record 12+ unless I'm confident I actually got that much.

My gauge catch precip total for the storm is 1.40".... extremely impressive.  Because of today's strong wind affecting the catch, it may actually be higher.  When those super-juiced UK runs started popping up they appeared overdone, but they were actually underdone.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Some storm reports:

1200 AM HEAVY SNOW 3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT 41.75N 87.79W
02/02/2015 M18.4 INCH COOK IL CO-OP OBSERVER

STORM TOTAL. STILL SNOWING LIGHTLY.

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1200 AM HEAVY SNOW OHARE AIRPORT 41.98N 87.90W
02/02/2015 M17.5 INCH COOK IL OFFICIAL NWS OBS

STORM TOTAL SO FAR. 3.3 INCHES IN THE LAST 6 HOURS.

Looks like the 18-20" totals are def on the table.  This storm has been an amazing event around these parts.  I think the city is going to be buried, esp the side streets.  Living in the city is almost impossible during these type of storms.  Hopefully Streets and Sanitation can do a good job and clear up the side streets overnight.  It's been snowing heavily over the past couple hours from these Lake bands.

Snow showers at best imby

it will trend weaker and south, i follow seasonal trends at this point

It actually doesn't look to be good for anyone.  It was fun for the one run it lasted lol, but this thing will go AWOL I think like most of the other storms this year.

:lol:

• Like 2

I'm thinking the gfs predicted this one best for totals?

Yes and also the GFS stuck with the stronger solution and the Euro caved. The NAM and the Euro had a 1010 mb system going through Illinois while the GFS had a 1006 mb system strengthening to 1002 mb. The GFS was right on the money. I'm glad the new update seems to be doing so well. It predicted both the East Coast and Super Bowl Blizzard the best.

One word...BURIED!!!  Received another 1" overnight from the LES.  Probably ended up getting between 20-21" (est).  The top layer of the snow cover has that "flaky" look to it from the LES and when I got up this morning the individual flakes had a picturess shine to it off of the sunshine.  I'll never forget this storm that is for certain.

This was just a great one, the second best storm in my lifetime! According to the snowfall reports St. Charles received 16" I would like to think we got a little more lol! It's always fun watching the cleanup now, many side streets are still buried but main streets have been cleaned up pretty good.

Official report from Rock Island is 14.4" ... That's awesome! I figured it had to be over a foot, but sometimes I can't trust my eye measurements.

How long has it been since you received over a Foot???  I know you've been saying a 6"+ storm has been non existent for quite some time.

This was probably the second hardest snows to measure. GHD was the worst to try to measure. Within a 10 mile radius there is anywhere from 11-17" totals.

I think close to 16" was the actual total. Will have to re check math later and what I wrote down.

post-7-0-04562800-1422897928_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-65511700-1422897940_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-40287900-1422897959_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-17025700-1422897968_thumb.jpg

I think I'll call it 15.5". Not enough confidence to go higher than that.

• Like 2

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

How long has it been since you received over a Foot??? I know you've been saying a 6"+ storm has been non existent for quite some time.

I think maybe the GHD storm was the last one if I recall correctly. And only a couple 6" storms since then. Lots of storms around 4-6" and tons of them 1-3", but yeah seeing snowfall like this is pretty awesome. And to think in the middle of the week a local met was just calling for 2-4"..

• Like 1

I'm surprised that there is such a difference in snow amounts between Buffalo Grove and Lincolnshire. My school would be ground zero for the heaviest totals over the whole area. The thing is Buffalo Grove got 16.7 while Lincolnshire got 22 inches. A 4-6 inches difference over such a small area doesn't seem possible. The only way it could be possible is due to the lake effect, but the bands were fairly transient in nature. It didn't seem like heavier returns stayed over one area for very long. Plus the rates weren't that outstanding. Does anyone else think that is a bit fishy?

Edit: Buffalo Grove is a big town and the report may be from the southern part. I'm more on the northern edge of Buffalo Grove and my totals were between 17 and 18. I still can't believe Lincolnshire got 22 inches though.

Our airport still has only 5.8" listed as it's total when most of Omaha and it's suburbs were in the 9-10" amounts. Eppley is in the very northeast part of town, but everywhere around it had at least 7 or 8". It's kind of a known thing here though, the airport is lower about 90% of the time for some reason. Not sure what they're doing there, kind of sounds like O'Hare

Our airport still has only 5.8" listed as it's total when most of Omaha and it's suburbs were in the 9-10" amounts. Eppley is in the very northeast part of town, but everywhere around it had at least 7 or 8". It's kind of a known thing here though, the airport is lower about 90% of the time for some reason. Not sure what they're doing there, kind of sounds like O'Hare

nah, O'Hare is fine. was just one isolated incident last year when the airport was reporting lower measurements. O'Hare actually had one of the higher storm totals around here.

Round #4 finished off the driveway, walkways and I still need to clean up the deck.  It has been quite the exercise.  I read that an avg 10' x 20' driveway full of snow from this system weighs a ton.  Based on my simple math, I prob lifted 2.5 tons of snow over the past 2 days!

The first couple shots are from inside looking out to try and give a different vantage point of what the scene looked like in the morning.

The Mounds of Snow adjacent to my driveway are roughly 7-8' tall and pretty darn wide.  Tried to capture the image of the sidewalks showing the depth of the snow pack all over the neighborhood.  Had some really nice drifts between the house and out in back.  Took a picture of my 18" ruler in the middle of my deck which has compacted down to 16".

• Like 4

Round #4 finished off the driveway, walkways and I still need to clean up the deck.  It has been quite the exercise.  I read that an avg 10' x 20' driveway full of snow from this system weighs a ton.  Based on my simple math, I prob lifted 2.5 tons of snow over the past 2 days!

The first couple shots are from inside looking out to try and give a different vantage point of what the scene looked like in the morning.

The Mounds of Snow adjacent to my driveway are roughly 7-8' tall and pretty darn wide.  Tried to capture the image of the sidewalks showing the depth of the snow pack all over the neighborhood.  Had some really nice drifts between the house and out in back.  Took a picture of my 18" ruler in the middle of my deck which has compacted down to 16".

Nice job with the pics.

• Like 1

That 4th picture in particular is wild looking Tom!

I still have more shoveling to do tonight...

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"