February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

I don't care what several people have said. Look at the models yourself. You can go back and view past runs, too. People don't seem to talk about the Canadian much in here, that doesn't mean it hasn't been consistent. It is clear the the Euro has trended toward the GEM. It's not ambiguous: it is what it is. The GFS is on its own. 

Out of all three, the GFS is the only one not to waver at all since it started showing up in the models, and the GFS was the first to pick up on it.

Out of all three, the GFS is the only one not to waver at all since it started showing up in the models, and the GFS was the first to pick up on it.

GEM hasn't wavered, dude.

Anyway, this is turning into a cyclic argument. I've realized that I can't convince you of the facts, it's something you'll have to look at yourself. I just advise you to look at models yourself rather than banking purely on what you've read in this forum. Please take it to PM with me if you wish to discuss this further. Nobody wants to read this back and forth. I'm bored of it myself. I appreciate your...spirit.

GEM hasn't wavered, dude.

Anyway, this is turning into a cyclic argument. I've realized that I can't convince you of the facts, it's something you'll have to look at yourself. I just advise you to look at models yourself rather than banking purely on what you've read in this forum. Please take it to PM with me if you wish to discuss this further. Nobody wants to read this back and forth. I'm bored of it myself. I appreciate your...spirit.

You sir, are a piece of work.

The GFS showed this event before the other two, that is a fact.

And agreed, I would rather talk to my cat.

One thing is for sure, I'd sure hate to be the NWS right now. Most places (especially Central Sound) could see anything from plain ol rain to 5 inches of snow. Makes it kind of hard to notify the public when even more experienced forecasters can't figure it out.

Puts them in a hard spot. Go for the gusto, risk getting busted big time. Go for too little, people will say there wasn't enough warning.

This is the hardest forecast for snow we have had in a long time. And they know it. I remember in 1996 they said they would just have to see where the snow line settled and make the forecast as the day goes along. This could go that way.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Cliff mass wrote an awesome post about the model uncertainty during the February 2011 snow...some of what he said can be applied to this situation. http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-good-or-bad-was-snow-forecast.html

Notice the rain/snow shadow over the Central Sound.  February 2011 sucked for B.I. :(

You fool. Don't you know who I am?? I make more money than any mets in the entire region! People FLOCK to my website! Excuse me while I go masturbate to my photo and my weather forecasts.

This is only funny because it's true. :)

• Rain. Low around 35. Calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 7 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
  • SundayRain likely before 10am, then snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 42. East northeast wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
  • Sunday NightSnow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
  • MondayA 30 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

No, the all important GEM doesn't run again until tonight.

Yeah, getting a little tired of all the bossy, know-it-all posts from everybody's favorite scholarly met today.

Don't trust it, its wrong.

Oh c'mon guys. If you have an issue with my "bossy" and "all knowing" demeanour then please address it in PM and I will do my best to remedy it. This is a weather forum where we discuss weather; as with anything, there will be disagreeing but if we can't have a mature back and forth, raising fair questions without degrading into insultingly passive aggressive remarks, then the system falls apart. I've even stated that I am barely 60% confident in my own forecast, so even that should assure you that I do not feel all knowing by any stretch--especially in such a borderline situation.

• Like 1

-

Oh c'mon guys. If you have an issue with my "bossy" and "all knowing" demeanour then please address it in PM and I will do my best to remedy it. This is a weather forum where we discuss weather; as with anything, there will be disagreeing but if we can't have a mature back and forth, raising fair questions without degrading into insultingly passive aggressive remarks, then the system falls apart. I've even stated that I am barely 60% confident in my own forecast, so even that sure assure you that I do not feel all knowing by any stretch--especially in such a borderline situation.

.. I'll side with deference and form where regarding discussion, of any subject more academic. 

( i.e. "good luck". [with that.] )

---

Seeing as neither camp of models (cold/warm, rain/snow) has jumped to the other side considerably as we all hoped, I'll be interested to see which suite of models the NWS decides to go with this afternoon. Which ones they might give more credence to.

The everlasting, defiant GFS or the climo, equally defiant ECMWF? Blend of the two, most likely.

Looks like they are going with the Euro per the latest discussion.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I am confused with what the NWS is doing, but maybe they are really going conservative. They actually lowered the snow forecasts up here and in Bellingham down to an inch or two. It seems like I should be in a relatively good position for this event, but I guess I will just have to see what falls.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I guess EC doesn't think this is going to amount to much here. They just ended the special weather statement and have "Rain mixed with snow or snow over higher terrain up to 4cm" in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

EC for Vancouver is notoriously conservative with these types of events. I'm sure the snowfall warning will be issued after the warning criteria snow has already fallen.

I guess EC doesn't think this is going to amount to much here. They just ended the special weather statement and have "Rain mixed with snow or snow over higher terrain up to 4cm" in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

I think they are in the process of updating their forecast....looks like snowfall warnings are being issued on the island or at least for the Victoria area.

I am confused with what the NWS is doing, but maybe they are really going conservative. They actually lowered the snow forecasts up here and in Bellingham down to an inch or two. It seems like I should be in a relatively good position for this event, but I guess I will just have to see what falls.

Yeah I was hoping for a little more detail with their afternoon discussion. Sounds like they want to follow the Euro so there will not be as much drama. They are going extremely conservative which is fine with me! Seems like whenever they do that, someone in Western Wa will get buried! That discussion seems eerily familiar to what they had posted on that Friday in Nov 2006 when I got hammered with 1.5FT of snowfall on that Sunday into Monday. Maybe history will repeat itself!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

EC for Vancouver is notoriously conservative with these types of events. I'm sure the snowfall warning will be issued after the warning criteria snow has already fallen.

Bingo

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3