October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

No. I like cold by this time of year. I’m ignoring the warm stuff

Ahhh... excellent point!

Not that it matters... but Halloween is about the time I start cheering for colder than normal 850mb temps. That lasts for about 90 days. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Ahhh... excellent point!

Not that it matters... but Halloween is about the time I start cheering for colder than normal 850mb temps. That lasts for about 90 days. :)

In all honesty I was just noticing a trend there. I’m sure it’ll change again but that little cold camp wasn’t there yesterday

Hasn’t Halloween been persistently wet at PDX in recent years? I think 11 out of the last 12 have recorded precipitation or something like that.

But actual Trick or Treating is usually dry. I can't remember that many years it was actually raining on our costumes.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Good luck with that pipe dream. I’d be surprised if any type of dry, warm upper level pattern, establishes itself for more than a couple of days.

Surprising... because dry and warm is a very common scenario as we move into November.    :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I amazed at how the storms just splits apart in our area down here. Nice yellow bands of rain heading our way and Bam! Moses is there with his staff splitting the storm or it falls apart...... Ugh!!! Still awaiting some logical explanation to this effect in our area.

.02 as well here

It’s not always like that I think that happens in a lot of other places as well. I’ve noticed a few select areas around the sound that it seems to happen less often to however.

We also have gotten lucky on a lot of occasions here at my house so it evens out. Couple of examples would be last fall on 10/28 and 11/27 when we got slammed several times in one day by heavy rain/hail and thunderstorms. Also in February 2011 is the luckiest I’ve ever been here...7” of snow while in Seattle and auburn and a few areas to the south got nothing or only an inch or two. You just never know, I think it all balances out.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

If I’m standing in a forest and it starts raining does that make it a rainforest?

Asking for a friend.

Is it rain or a Bear peeing from a tree?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It’s not always like that I think that happens in a lot of other places as well. I’ve noticed a few select areas around the sound that it seems to happen less often to however.

We also have gotten lucky on a lot of occasions here at my house so it evens out. Couple of examples would be last fall on 10/28 and 11/27 when we got slammed several times in one day by heavy rain/hail and thunderstorms. Also in February 2011 is the luckiest I’ve ever been here...7” of snow while in Seattle and auburn and a few areas to the south got nothing or only an inch or two. You just never know, I think it all balances out.

February 2011 was awesome up here. Think I had 16” or so if I remember correctly.
  • Like 2

February 2011 was awesome up here. Think I had 16” or so if I remember correctly.

Yeah it was one of those rare occasions where we just got super lucky. My grandparents out in graham at 900’ elevation only had 3” and we had 7”, definitely wasn’t a uniform snow event. 2010-2011 was another great winter.
  • Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah I think that was overall my 2nd snowiest February next to 2019 in Klamath Falls. 2012 also had a good second half of winter right around the time we moved into downtown.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Yeah it was one of those rare occasions where we just got super lucky. My grandparents out in graham at 900’ elevation only had 3” and we had 7”, definitely wasn’t a uniform snow event. 2010-2011 was another great winter.

I think my area in the West Hills got some snow, but I know the rest of Portland didn’t get much at sea level.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

No complaints about the 12Z ECMWF at day 10...

20191017-120158.jpg

Those claiming the blob/+PDO would be torpedoed by a few weeks of GOA ridging are gonna look pretty silly by the end of the month.

• Like 1

No snow here but had a 36/19 day.  Was an impressively cold airmass.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Around there. Ideally I would want to live at 1,000 or less but it's not possible there.

I'm going to be with the same company when I move so it was either Arizona or New Mexico and it was an easy decision. I'd have to live at 5,000+ feet in New Mexico so living a little over 1,000 feet in Arizona ain't so bad.

I don't know if you have a specific condition, but many people move here and have altitude sickness for a week or so, then their bodies acclimate and they're fine.

A forum for the end of the world.

Outdoor activities can be done in any weather, we went golfing in the rain this morning and it was really fun!!

For some activities yeah. When it comes to fishing, I wish ice fishing was more common here in the PNW. Only done it a couple of times when the ice got thick enough but had a blast each time.

For some activities yeah. When it comes to fishing, I wish ice fishing was more common here in the PNW. Only done it a couple of times when the ice got thick enough but had a blast each time.

Yeah... the golf courses are packed around here when its 45 degrees and dumping rain.  Impossible to get a tee time.   And just try to get a parking spot at the beach on a rainy, cold January day.     I also go skiing in July on dirt and grass when its 85 degrees... like everyone else around here of course.    

I would saying the cheering tendencies are pretty equal.   We can't avoid anything nature gives us unless we go on vacation.

Jesse is always cheering for cold and/or wet.   Always.  

I think normal is plenty cold and wet enough as it is around here... so I always happy with warm and dry.    Except from November - January when cold and dry or even cold and wet is fine with me.      ;)

I don't know if you have a specific condition, but many people move here and have altitude sickness for a week or so, then their bodies acclimate and they're fine.

I don't have any specific condition that I know of. Just always felt uneasy at higher altitudes. But you're right, I'd eventually get acclimated to the altitude with time. It just comes down to a personal preference of mine.