Ground Hog Day Blizzard/Snowstorm Part II

Geos

Sitting with somewhere between 10-12" of snow. Really tough to measure; I really wish that band of snow that has just been dumping on the tri-cities would swing thru already before it falls apart! I would have loved to pick up another 1-2", either way it's pretty crazy around town and conditions continue to be blizzard/near blizzard like, especially when you get out of town. 

• Like 1

I had 12 inches at 10 am. Be interested to hear final amount. Maybe 15-16. Snowing as hard now as anytime all day. Visibility close to 0

You've been in the perfect spot for this storm...I knew you would be in the epicenter...24+ hours and counting of consistent snowfall...enjoy!

Tornado emergency:

...TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR CARROLLTON ALABAMA...

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 530 PM CST FOR CENTRAL
PICKENS COUNTY...

AT 452 PM CST...A CONFIRMED LARGE AND DESTRUCTIVE TORNADO WAS LOCATED
NEAR GARDEN...OR NEAR PICKENSVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

TORNADO EMERGENCY FOR CARROLLTON. TAKE COVER NOW. THIS IS A
PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

HAZARD...DEADLY TORNADO. 

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO. 

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY 
         BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES 
         WILL BE DESTROYED. CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO 
         HOMES...BUSINESSES AND VEHICLES IS LIKELY AND COMPLETE 
         DESTRUCTION IS POSSIBLE. 

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Too far north for us. I remember back when the track was supposed to be just northwest of St. Louis. Wouldn't have been dry slotted then

Storm is moving way too slow. They have a tendency to wander northwards when they travel slow. If there would have been more cold air to the north it would have definitely put a stop to the northward advance.

Peaked at 36° here, now 34° with drizzle.

Low over the tip of NE right now and it's starting to show signs of moving more into MO.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I remeasured a little bit ago and have 7 to 7 1/2 inches on the ground. Probably was closer to eight or a little bit over before compaction and melting. My measurements this morning wasn't very accurate as I took it on the driveway and was in kind of a hurry so I thought we were only had about 5 inches. This higher amount makes more sense with some of the other measurements in my area. Just didn't seem like it was that much since it had snowed only for a little bit and didn't do anything else all day long. Should get another inch or two on the backlash snows tonight.

0.57" of liquid here with 0.1" of sleet earlier. Now it's just drizzle with haze in the air.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Great pictures CentralNeb!

Do the big drifts usually form around structures? I would love to climb up a 30 foot drift. :D

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Yes. Right beside houses they can cover almost to the roof. I will take many pictures tomorrow and share them in the next few days. What is interesting is that I can see blades of grass in places in my yard and in other places it is 6 feet deep. We are farming country and flat so nothing stops the wind.

One quick story. My neighbor called today. They are both in their 70's. He had hurt his back recently. Anyway he kept hearing his black lab duke barking, non stop which isn't normal. When he looked out his kennel was completely drifted tight. Duke couldn't get to food or water and my neighbor couldn't scoop him out. It took me 30 minutes to get duke out. That was one happy dog when I finally reached him and carried him to the house.

• Like 7

http://maps2.pivotalweather.com/models/hrrr/20160203/0000Z/f015/acckucherasnowmw.png

00z HRRR snowfall has a new band forming and dropping 1-3 in IA or at least in my location.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I'm making a video that I hope to have posted by tomorrow along with pictures. I believe it Central Neb, I'm guessing the country roads and in places have drifts that are impassable. Here is one pic that I found tonight, to give you an idea these drifts are at least 8 foot tall!! 

12688056_10204797266804731_5366700898919755299_n.jpg

• Like 4

Edit:

By the way, a lot of roads are still closed in Nebraska, including I-80 west from Lincoln out towards North Platte. That's at least 200 miles! Pretty crazy out here, this will go down as a record breaker for some, I know Hastings and GI reported 16+" of snow. The morning will tell the story, I expect some epic drifts.......

Just looked outside and saw stars but still blowing snow with gusts to 40 mph.

My daughter's piano teacher lives at our golf course. She called to say no lesson tomorrow. She estimates a 10-15 foot drift has completely covered their driveway and door. For now they must use the back. I will try and get those type of pictures tomorrow if possible. Only emergency snow routes have been touched, we live one one, and they are iffy at best. Side streets are impassible with stranded cars and huge drifts. This one will go down in the history books.

• Like 2