October 2022 PNW weather Discussion. + Ultimate Leg Reveal Extravaganza

TacomaWx

4 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

I think it'll be both 

I remember 2006 it was a very wet start to the month of November with flooding and ending with an Arctic outbreak and snow. 

That entire winter was amazing! Flooding to massive snow and cold in November, massive windstorm in December, very nice arctic blast/snow in January, and more snow in February! 

4D93EA6F-F9F7-4EEF-A2F1-7408AF9C52FC.jpeg

4BBEF6BA-68C6-4552-A7A6-BB8A8C5922F1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Snow 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

38 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

At least the GFS is finally wet! lol 

gfs-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-7520000.png

It takes forever to get there though. The next week is still relatively dry in Washington (of course still way wetter than anything we've seen so far).

• Like 2

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

3 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:
Off-topic
Explosion?
A few minutes ago out here near west Gresham I just heard a tremendous explosion. So LOUD! It even created a percussion blast and shook my house. Such force! I've never heard anything like that even an M-1000, or exploding targets/tannerite. Any ideas?

Maybe someone Is celebrating the pattern change?

The only other thing I can think of is a blown transformer 

• lol 1

195572.png?1673757432

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

Maybe someone Is celebrating the pattern change?

The only other thing I can think of is a blown transformer 

Dude. A blown transformer has never sounded like that. I heard the blast, the sound expanding, and then two-three seconds later the percussion wave slammed into my house. I cannot imagine what caused that. Bolide meteor exploding? Massive propane tank? Meth house explosion? I dunno.

• scream 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Snowing in Indiana. 😱 

Hell yes!!

• Snow 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We got a night shift going!!

• Excited 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

4 hours ago, DJ Droppin said:
Off-topic
Explosion?
A few minutes ago out here near west Gresham I just heard a tremendous explosion. So LOUD! It even created a percussion blast and shook my house. Such force! I've never heard anything like that even an M-1000, or exploding targets/tannerite. Any ideas?

#1 Do you see an orange glow in the sky? 

#2 Are any of your windows cracked?

#3 Do you hear any EMS/ESU sirens?

#Have you lost power, even briefly?

Side note: Tannerite is capable of producing shockwaves that can and do cause destruction but most (targets) rarely exceed 2 lbs. Plus anyone stupid enough to be within 100ft of an exploding (target) could be subjected to upwards of 20psi. (Resulting in moderate/severe internal organ damage/falure, internal bleeding, deafness, shrapnel, etc).

Furthermore, to produce a shockwave that large, we'd be talking about at least 100lbs, if not more and your domicile and nearby structures would be "f*****d"

Secondly, there is the possibility of a close-cap "burnout" of certain meteors in where, the outer layer "flash melts" instantly and results in an immediate explosion reverberating the highest levels of our atmosphere. (Similar to the Chelyabinsk meteor Feb 2013)

(However, Chelyabinsk was a very close example of what we'd likely experience in an E.L.E.)

Third would be an LPG/LNG explosion underground resulting in an up/out blast with psi values on the order of (3) with psi of (5) severely damaging sturdy concrete structures (so I highly doubt it was this).

I can't genuinely think of any other "natural/manmade" possibilities.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JBolin said:

#1 Do you see an orange glow in the sky? 

#2 Are any of your windows cracked?

#3 Do you hear any EMS/ESU sirens?

#Have you lost power, even briefly?

Side note: Tannerite is capable of producing shockwaves that can and do cause destruction but most (targets) rarely exceed 2 lbs. Plus anyone stupid enough to be within 100ft of an exploding (target) could be subjected to upwards of 20psi. (Resulting in moderate/severe internal organ damage/falure, internal bleeding, deafness, shrapnel, etc).

Furthermore, to produce a shockwave that large, we'd be talking about at least 100lbs, if not more and your domicile and nearby structures would be "f*****d"

Secondly, there is the possibility of a close-cap "burnout" of certain meteors in where, the outer layer "flash melts" instantly and results in an immediate explosion reverberating the highest levels of our atmosphere.

Third would be an LPG/LNG explosion underground resulting in an up/out blast with psi values on the order of (3) with psi of (5) severely damaging sturdy concrete structures (so I highly doubt it was this).

I can't genuinely think of any other "natural/manmade" possibilities.

All of my vertical blinds were shut. The answer is NO to all of those. I heard no jet before it, so would we then rule out military and sonic boom. Meteor hmmm...

12 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

All of my vertical blinds were shut. The answer is NO to all of those. I heard no jet before it, so would we then rule out military and sonic boom. Meteor hmmm...

Yes, as it's illegal for ANY aircraft including military to go supersonic below FL-60T as the restricted/controlled airspace extends from the surface to FL-60T.

There are some "exceptions" that allow for TFR's that permit supersonic speed, i.e. national security issues, unresponsive aircraft and external domestic threats.

The last time the FAA allowed unrestricted access for supersonic flight below the aforementioned FL's was 9/11/2001

5 minutes ago, JBolin said:

Yes, as it's illegal for ANY aircraft including military to go supersonic below FL-60T as the restricted/controlled airspace extends from the surface to FL-60T.

There are some "exceptions" that allow for TFR's that permit supersonic speed, i.e. national security issues, unresponsive aircraft and external domestic threats.

The last time the FAA allowed unrestricted access for supersonic flight below the aforementioned FL's was 9/11/2001

Interesting. I've heard several sonic booms in my life, it was never anything like this. I could hear the explosion very deep, low rumble, huge boom several miles away and 3 maybe 4 seconds later the percussion wave hit the back of my house west facing enough to shake it a little. I hope this morning there will be some answers.

2 hours ago, DJ Droppin said:

This is the "likely" culprit Rob. It was a bolide consisting primarly of (Mg/Fe)

Delayed sound noted 16.32sec after entry. It's very possible due to its path (NE to SW) directly over the Gorge, the sound was magnified by the topography. 

Screenshot_20221019-025612_Chrome.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, JBolin said:

This is the "likely" culprit Rob. It was a bolide consisting primarly of (Mg/Fe)

Delayed sound noted noted 16.32sec after entry. It's very possible due to its path (NE to SW) directly over the Gorge, the sound was magnified by the topography. 

Screenshot_20221019-025612_Chrome.jpg

I dunno this happened 10/19 like 12:10 AM? 🤷‍♂️

GFS still looks good. Gonna hit the hay.

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Interesting that EURO has been persistent in showing a weak but fast moving and rapidly intensifying low hit the Oregon coast somewhere N of Tillamook-- obviously too early but worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 5
  • Windy 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"