October 2022 PNW weather Discussion. + Ultimate Leg Reveal Extravaganza

TacomaWx

3 minutes ago, Sonny Summers said:

Ellensburg would be like Great Falls or Cut Bank. Spokane would be like Havre or Glasgow.

Yeah arctic air would have no trouble flooding into eastern Washington and piling up against the east slopes of the Washington Cascades. Another thought. Let's say that if the Canadian Rockies and Rocky Mountains didn't exist wouldn't that allow maritime air masses to spill inland much further also influencing their climate, or would it simply be more like the Canadian prairies, Northwest Territories with a huge reservoir of bitter air. Could that also affect the processes of the PV and subsequent lobes as they rotate towards Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. A lot to chew on, or maybe I'm overthinking it.

00z ECMWF in 10 hour 9 minutes

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Amazing... live view from Friday Harbor on top and Bellingham on the bottom.       Unbelievable difference across a short distance. 

fh1.png

bham2.png

Just took the dog out and immediately started coughing.  I can still smell it in my nose even after coming back inside.  I am seeing 140-150 on my backyard air quality meter, that is definitely the worst I have recorded.

• Sick 3

10 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Kind of crazy how much the switch flipped this year from the spring to the summer. The last 120 days (6/20-10/18) at SEA have been the driest on record for that period with only 0.54" of precipitation. The previous 120 days (2/21-6/20) were the second wettest on record for that period with 17.11".

1732189581_ScreenShot2022-10-18at2_14_13PM.png.ec034e2466ffe5da7b1d17ede890abf1.png

1440306818_ScreenShot2022-10-18at2_13_40PM.png.50b77528daf716d4c39f5386454ca985.png

It's now been 122 days since SEA recorded more than 0.15" of rain in a day which is by far the longest streak on record. In the previous 120 days before that, SEA tied a record with 36 days with more than 0.15" of rain in a day.

2127901639_ScreenShot2022-10-18at2_17_42PM.png.6b8236012d6b84275e49a6c98a8b03d6.png

2103616518_ScreenShot2022-10-18at2_23_05PM.thumb.png.62339451e36414fa7f7b29fbb6828e9b.png

Note also how nine out of ten of those longest dry spells are in the 21st century. There really should be no doubt that our summers are getting drier as well as hotter.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Just took the dog out and immediately started coughing.  I can still smell it in my nose even after coming back inside.  I am seeing 140-150 on my backyard air quality meter, that is definitely the worst I have recorded.

154 here currently. 

• Sick 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

140 ppm here as of now. Disgusting day again.

• Sick 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

13 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Yeah arctic air would have no trouble flooding into eastern Washington and piling up against the east slopes of the Washington Cascades. Another thought. Let's say that if the Canadian Rockies and Rocky Mountains didn't exist wouldn't that allow maritime air masses to spill inland much further also influencing their climate, or would it simply be more like the Canadian prairies, Northwest Territories with a huge reservoir of bitter air. Could that also affect the processes of the PV and subsequent lobes as they rotate towards Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba. A lot to chew on, or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Look at northern Europe to get something of a clue as to the latter scenario. There are basically zero mountains from The Netherlands all the way into Russia, and the climate starts out as basically maritime and gradually becomes more continental. By the time you’re in Moscow it is completely continental.

Southern Europe is a completely different story of course. Plenty of mountains there.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Look at northern Europe to get something of a clue as to the latter scenario. There are basically zero mountains from The Netherlands all the way into Russia, and the climate starts out as basically maritime and gradually becomes more continental. By the time you’re in Moscow it is completely continental.

Southern Europe is a completely different story of course. Plenty of mountains there.

Good point. Yep. Thanks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Imagine the Gorge wind in and around Portland. Troutdale would be a warzone.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AlTahoe said:

A forest is burned and a man, as guilty as he is, is rotting in jail for 20 years. Everything is worse now. Not sure what this idiot expected.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

26 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

I love thinking about this kind of stuff.

And these fringe hypotheticals aren't dumb. In fact, humans have used them to solve larger problems since the beginning of reason.

Solve one problem for fun, apply your discoveries to other problems. Simple and entertaining.

• Like 8

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

22 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

And these fringe hypotheticals aren't dumb. In fact, humans have used them to solve larger problems since the beginning of reason.

Solve one problem for fun, apply your discoveries to other problems. Simple and entertaining.

We do this on  a daily basis here at the R&D/AI Architect department here at Microsoft... and it's a lot of fun. 

Can't see why it can't be applies to anything else in life. 

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Easily the worst air quality I've seen in my 6 years in Bham. Chuckanut Mountain (about 1.5 miles away) has disappeared behind the smoke and the Arb (1,500' away) looks to be following it its footsteps. It wreaks of smoke in my apt, Friday can't come soon enough.

20221018_145818.jpg

20221018_150802.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Sick 5

15 minutes ago, Sonny Summers said:

I'm trying! It could be fun for a bit lol. PDX-DLS of -30mb

11 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I agree it is fun and can be real beneficial.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

11 minutes ago, Sonny Summers said:

Portland and Vancouver, BC would be significantly snowier, probably around 30–40"/year. That’s a wild-*a** guess obtained by halving the annual snowfall in Halifax, since unlike in Halifax, marine and not continental air would predominate. Seattle would probably see significantly less cold and snow, as a result of lacking a nearby sea-level conduit for interior air.

• Thanks 1
  • Excited 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mtep said:

Local sensors don't seem to be picking up on the putrid hellscape outside for some reason though. No way the AQI is 67 up in the Arb right now. 

Screenshot_20221018-151109_Chrome.jpg

See my recent post on Bellingham's air quality. Over 200 at the downtown waterfront and more like 300 a bit up the hill on the purpleair network.

• Sick 2

11 minutes ago, mtep said:

Local sensors don't seem to be picking up on the putrid hellscape outside for some reason though. No way the AQI is 67 up in the Arb right now. 

Screenshot_20221018-151109_Chrome.jpg

As posted, I believe this is an average over time. It's easily 180-200 near Bellingham right now and worse at the border. 

"The AirNow site displays hourly, not real-time, readings."

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

I'm trying! It could be fun for a bit lol. PDX-DLS of -30mb

I agree it is fun and can be real beneficial.

It's a fun and interesting exercise for sure. Also kind of a wonky question but wondering how much the climate would change on the West Coast if the eastern/inland Siskiyous were removed and only a coast range was present. They're kind of an unusual mountain range in that they run west-east rather than north-south like most Western mountain ranges do. Northern CA would likely get stronger and more frequent winter cold snaps.

• Like 2

Speaking of terrible air quality, there was extremely thick smoke that originated from the NW part of the state many years ago, the AQ levels got so bad, there was an "Air Quality Emergency" issued for basically the entire state except the panhandle. The smoke was so thick and dense that you could not even see a quarter of a mile and I could not be outside for more than 5-10 minutes breathing in all of that smoke.

• Sick 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

6 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Interesting

None of this makes any sense to me, but.... I did hit my head A LOT as a child. It could explain that. Yeah. Remember the pajamas with the slippery footies? Yep. Twice in the ER within a week split my head open. 🤣

00z GFS in 4 hours 42 minutes

• lol 1
  • scream 1

3 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

None of this makes any sense to me, but.... I did hit my head A LOT as a child. It could explain that. Yeah. Remember the pajamas with the slippery footies? Yep. Twice in the ER within a week split my head open. 🤣

soot and suspended particles from smoke get in the prevailing winds and head east where they meet moisture and the particles seed nuclei for larger Hailstones, heavy rain, etc.  Seems to me this is a natural version of cloud seeding.  seems pretty straight forward, imo 

• Like 5

High of 70F here

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

The ECMWF was pretty darn interesting today.  A strong low pressure center moving inland south of Seattle and then a high of only 46 on one day.

Meanwhile...this is the worst smoke day here yet, and it looks way worse over the North Interior on the visible sat pic.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Oh, c’mon guys, it should be obvious: condensation nuclei. That smoke doesn’t all magically disappear once it leaves the West Coast. Some of it may settle out, but some remains. Anything that can affect cloud formation can easily affect storm formation.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

soot and suspended particles from smoke get in the prevailing winds and head east where they meet moisture and the particles seed nuclei for larger Hailstones, heavy rain, etc.  Seems to me this is a natural version of cloud seeding.  seems pretty straight forward, imo 

Well, hmmm that makes sense. Wouldn't it also affect lapse rates, better hail growth.

54 minutes ago, Sonny Summers said:

These are pointless maps, but they are always fun to look at. The top three analogs are absolutely stellar. Of course there are a few turds mixed in with the chocolate pieces. They can't all be winners.

610temp.new (1).gif

610prcp.new (2).gif

610analog.off (2).gif

Why are they pointless?  6 to 10 day outlooks are actually somewhat accurate these days.

• Excited 2
  • lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Let's look at some AQI's around the region!!  This time I tried to get a coastal location and a location further inland from said coastal spot.

Vancouver BC - 160

Abbotsford - 326

Bellingham - 157

Maple Falls - 470

Mount Vernon - 158

Lake Stevens - 187

Everett - 72

Gold Bar -  220

Port Angeles - 48

Seattle North - 108

Seattle Downtown - 95

Seattle South - 153

Bellevue - 154

Snoqualmie - 301

Tacoma - 103 

Bonney Lake - 152

Aberdeen - 59

Chehalis - 91

Longview- 71

Battle Ground - 204

Vancouver - 166

Camas - 179

Wenatchee - 162

Yakima - 56

Kennewick - 62

Walla Walla - 52

Spokane Downtown - 102

Spokane North - 126

Spokane East - 106 

Portland North - 156

Portland Downtown - 130

Gresham - 153

Hillsboro - 105

Astoria - 58

Salem - 149

Eugene -  158

Oakridge - 440

Bend - 114

Medford - 48

This is among the worst I've ever seen it.

708252345_ScreenShot2022-10-18at4_05_30PM.thumb.png.c299af7c669f7865adac9a6f202d8323.png

• Like 1
  • Sick 2