October 2022 PNW weather Discussion. + Ultimate Leg Reveal Extravaganza

TacomaWx

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

One of the nice things about the gorge is it takes the edge off the typical winter stagnation patterns.

Same here with the east wind through the pass.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... people will forgive bad air quality when its means cold surface temps.   That is all.   Are you saying that is not true?   It absolutely is true.  I never said it was the same as today.    Just made the connection between inversions causing a big problem today and being considered a good thing in a few weeks.    Sorry you can't find that a little humorous.  We all hated the conditions today... including me.    

I was up in your neck of the woods last week for work. Absolutely gorgeous area.

• Like 2

Just now, umadbro said:

I was up in your neck of the woods last week for work. Absolutely gorgeous area.

Hopefully it was one of the days when visibility was good.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

00z GFS Day 1

500h_anom.na.png

This reminds me of the pattern in early April when we were in Charleston under a deep trough while it was around 80 degrees at home.     Then the pattern flipped rapidly to a deep western trough and eastern ridge and it was snowing by time we got home.    And stayed cold and wet for the next 2 months.    Really feels like a similar progression happening again.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

AQI now around 190. Visible haze at about a 1-block distance. The interesting thing is, it seems very thin, as the sky directly above was blue during daylight hours. Perhaps there in an inversion trapping it at the surface.

Here is a beautiful picture I took of Lummi Island and the peninsula from up on Chandler Parkway

IMG_4701.thumb.jpg.18a257abf335f4f5a357a922aef0fdab.jpg

They really are out there.....I think....

AQI improving in my back yard, and it didn't smell as bad when I took the doggo out at 8pm.

It's still bad, just not the terribleness we had earlier...

• Sad 2
  • Sick 2

Just now, umadbro said:

Manage a traffic control company for our Portland branch. I migrate North to help out northern branch train once or twice a week 

I assume this was last Friday when our internet was down for 6 hours??  😀

• Troll 1

This evolution from a very deep trough to a strong ridge in the east and the exact opposite in the west in just 4 days is quite impressive.    I don't remember too many examples of a complete flip happening this fast and effectively.

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1666137600-1666137600-1666526400-10.gif

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

First system of the season is NW flow. No slogging through a bunch of SW flow to get to the good stuff, it's already here!

That SW flow stuff is probably important for water supply though and its normal time to happen starts about now.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This evolution from a very deep trough to a strong ridge in the east and the exact opposite in the west in just 4 days is quite impressive.    I don't remember too many examples of a complete flip happening this fast and effectively.

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1666137600-1666137600-1666526400-10.gif

Of course when you factor in the 100+ days of incessant ridging over us before this... it really isn't that quick.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Sick 1

6 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Day 6, Rainfall & Snowfall totals

500h_anom.na.png

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

Guess it's time to put the snow blade back on our ATV!😱

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Just now, BLI snowman said:

Of course when you factor in the 100+ days of incessant ridging over us before this... it really isn't that quick.

No... its quick.   If you look at the current pattern you would not expect to see a deep western trough and strong eastern ridge in just 96 hours.      Previous 4 months notwithstanding.

Would be nice get a good old southerly windstorm, can't remember the last significant one down here (2019 or 2017 maybe)

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

No... its quick.   If you look at the current pattern you would not expect to see a deep western trough and strong eastern ridge in just 96 hours.      Previous 4 months notwithstanding.

96 hours is actually a reasonably significant amount of time from a 500mb standpoint, at least during a generally progressive time of the year like late October.

In 2003 we went from 72 on October 28 to snow on November 1.