October 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

TT-SEA

I thought the jet stream went digital audio years ago.

Lol. 

Nice catch.

GFS really loads on the moisture.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

18z NWS/NCEP Pacific Surface Analysis
Typhoon Songda has now explosively intensified into a Super Typhoon. This was not forecast and in fact the JMA yesterday only had this reaching Cat 3 before weakening to eventually a Tropical Storm as it is fully ingested by the westerly jet. Pretty amazing it just continues to strengthen even though it is under a strongly sheared environment. I have never seen a fully intact super typhoon being pulled into our westerly jet before. Remnants of or degradation down to a Tropical Storm perhaps, but never a super typhoon and as we speak Songda is accelerating northeastward. I would think this suggest more energy, more latent heat, more explosive cyclogenesis potential.... but where does it make landfall? That is the $32 dollar question
http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/P_sfc_full_ocean.jpg

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/23W/imagery/ir0-lalo.gif

Typhoon Songda has now explosively intensified into a Super Typhoon. This was not forecast and in fact the JMA yesterday only had this reaching Cat 3 before weakening to eventually a Tropical Storm as it is fully ingested by the westerly jet. Pretty amazing it just continues to strengthen even though it is under a strongly sheared environment. I have never seen a fully intact super typhoon being pulled into our westerly jet before. Remnants of or degradation down to a Tropical Storm perhaps, but never a super typhoon and as we speak Songda is accelerating northeastward. I would think this suggest more energy, more latent heat, more explosive cyclogenesis potential.... but where does it make landfall? That is the $32 dollar question

Happy your back posting. I've always loved your analysis, especially during cold/snow events,

• Like 2

I was noticing this too even back on Sunday as the NE quadrant of Songda was already being entrained into the jet and obvious shear present.

What an incredible eye this has

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/westpac/storm/movies/MOV3-2.23W.GIF

Amazing that its holding together so well while being clearly pulled into the main flow.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

DJ is back! Now I'm excited for fall and winter!!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

First real taste of late fall/early winter temps for the PNW and especially the interior and N Rockies as we get toward the last week of Oct...perhaps a 2002 redux.

How about a 1984 Redux???

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBLI/1984/10/31/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Bellingham&req_state=WA&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=98229&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999&MR=1

Daytime high in the upper 20’s in Bellingham on Halloween. 

• Like 1

When Joe Bastardi dedicates an entire tweet to the PNW wind threat..

..you know s**t just got real.

• Like 3

I'm getting a October 2009 vibe from these storms coming through with typhoon remnants slamming the West Coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2009_North_American_storm_complex

Mets up here are referencing October 2003... lots of rain that month (but I don't recall a lot of wind). I think 2009 was more serious down there than it was up here.

gefs_slp_min_nepac_19.png

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I saw it has been really warm up in Alaska this week. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Mets up here are referencing October 2003... lots of rain that month (but I don't recall a lot of wind). I think 2009 was more serious down there than it was up here.

Maybe I'm underestimating the rain but it doesn't look like the setup will rival 2003 right now. Also, I assume the flow must have been more westerly in 2003. Victoria had over 5" in one day, they would have been shadowed too much for that to happen in SW flow. And I don't remember any wind in 2003.

Quick question all, lower or higher than 8" of snow in Portland this winter? Just curious what you all think. I'm in Redmond and my buddy and I have a bet going for our town of over under 20" here. I said higher and he said lower.

I would go higher on 8, but 20 is pushing it given recent history.

EDIT:  I see...the 20 is for a different town.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

My guess is the trajectory is going to be too straight westerly for a major wind event in Seattle, but I could be wrong.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm thinking, based off previous windstorms of this nature, if Songda retains too much strength it's going to curve too far north to hit the I-5 corridor from Olympia-Everett. I could see the NW Interior and the coast getting pretty D**n windy though.

That being said, it would be dumb to write it off just yet considering the abnormal power this thing will have.

No doubt about that.  The CPC analogs last week had a run of showing October 1962 pretty frequently for the time frame in question.  This will be a different trajectory than 1962 however.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm thinking, based off previous windstorms of this nature, if Songda retains too much strength it's going to curve too far north to hit the I-5 corridor from Olympia-Everett. I could see the NW Interior and the coast getting pretty D**n windy though.

That being said, it would be dumb to write it off just yet considering the abnormal power this thing will have.

How was the Columbus Day storm able to take the track that it did and not take the major northward curve like so many others? I find these storms so fascinating!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The ECMWF weeklies like the idea of a chilly finish to October and then a mild pattern for much of November.  Exactly the combination we want to see in a cold ENSO season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How was the Columbus Day storm able to take the track that it did and not take the major northward curve like so many others? I find these storms so fascinating!

Columbus Day hugged the coast from N California to WA and then tracked inland over southern BC.  It came from much lower latitude than this will.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The CDS got sucked into a massive offshore upper level trough and rode the periphery.  One of the reasons the winds at the surface were so high was the fact the trajectory of the storm aligned almost perfectly with the pressure rises.  

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Well the NAM is the NAM but WOW if that were to verify!

Yeah....the NWS isn't very excited about wind for Thursday.

The three storms will hit all have different details concerning track and strength.  Pretty likely most places will get at least decent wind from at least one of the storms.  In some ways the third one looks the most fascinating, although the second one is a beast.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The CDS got sucked into a massive offshore upper level trough and rode the periphery. One of the reasons the winds at the surface were so high was the fact the trajectory of the storm aligned almost perfectly with the pressure rises.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation! Once again I'm sick and twisted but I would sure love to experience something as powerful as that storm in my lifetime!

Yeah....the NWS isn't very excited about wind for Thursday.

The three storms will hit all have different details concerning track and strength.  Pretty likely most places will get at least decent wind from at least one of the storms.  In some ways the third one looks the most fascinating, although the second one is a beast.

0z GFS operational brings a 976mb low into central Vancouver Island late Thursday.