January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

The state of the snow today.  All of the south sides of the fir trees are now free of snow, the north sides are still covered similar to the day it snowed.

High of 31 today, low of 11.

Love the daily pics. Awesome to see snow still on the trees.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

After living 15 years in a couple of the hottest climates in the lower-48, I moved back 7 years ago and can say the winter really isn't the selling point. I can also understand that there would be a season in an area that would drive you nuts. For me it was the heat, not necessarily the temp but the duration. When going on about month 5 of dewpoints in the 70's or the 3rd week in a row when the A/C still can't cool the house below 85 because the delta T on the evaporator won't drop within it's efficiency range until sometime after 2am and by 8am it is 92 out already heading for 118. At least here, once you hit the equinox you get long days, a chance at some very nice springtime weather and almost always a great summer that really don't break an extended sweat. And there are many flavors of severe weather this area is not exposed to. The first severe thunder storm in FL I sat through I found out what the fear of God was. So I can understand the weather being a drag. But I like it here for different reasons.

Exactly how I feel, only I haven't moved yet. :lol:

There's literally nothing worse than having to wake up at 6AM for a run, because by 8AM it's 90+ degrees and humid as f**k.

• Like 2

Looks like half-most of this mid week event is rain. Snow definitely hasn't been the focus on NWS AFD's lately.

Love the daily pics. Awesome to see snow still on the trees.

You sure you do? j/k  :P

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

You could be like iFred who moved across the country to a snowier climate only to get shafted two winters in a row.

Stop bitchin' people.

I think Fred got 30" in 24hrs with the blizzard last year. I wouldn't call that "shafted".

• Like 1

There's literally nothing worse than having to wake up at 6AM for a run, because by 8AM it's 90+ degrees and humid as f**k.

I have to do runs in 60-70 degree weather. Florida would simply be anti-Timmy Supercell.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Not a fan of humidity, I'll take your winters though!

You mean the winters that don't start until February, and continue into April? :rolleyes:

Then we get 4 weeks of decent weather before dewpoint season begins, which lasts through September.

It was nauseating after awhile to see the dew running off everything at 78-80 degrees in the morning.  And this sometimes went on until Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

I have to do runs in 60-70 degree weather. Florida would simply be anti-Timmy Supercell.

Hard to get supercells without that anti-Timmy-Supercell weather, though. Severe storms are what keep me alive during the summer, and luckily we get them quite frequently. Not always worth it, but it helps my wx-weenie psyche regardless.

When midsummer dewpoints drop below 70 degrees, that's a huge event in my book. I can spend all day outdoors in weather like that.

• Like 1

This picture of my back yard ranks either as # 1 or 2 that I have taken.  The other contender is one with the northern lights.

This is looking north showing the snow-covered landscape with a coating of hoar frost on the distant trees along with the shadow of my aspen tree on the snow from the moon.  It has been an amazing run here in Clark County!

Ignore the watermark, it was in a batch I just uploaded.

• Like 7

Hard to get supercells without that anti-Timmy-Supercell weather, though. Severe storms are what keep me alive during the summer, and luckily we get them quite frequently. Not always worth it, but it's helpful for my wx weenie psyche.

When midsummer dewpoints drop below 70 degrees here, that's a huge event in my book. I can spend all day outdoors in weather like that.

I was about to mention that earlier. I happen to live in a house without AC. July 2014 and June 2015 would have been close to hell holes without thunderstorms. With an average indoor temp of 86-88 degrees (with highs of 90 inside) I would drink the next t'storm first chance I get.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

It was nauseating after awhile to see the dew running off everything at 78-80 degrees in the morning. And this sometimes went on until Thanksgiving.

Nasty! Where did you live? Our humidity cuts off in October usually, as the continental air starts dropping in. Usually it's one cold front that separates summer from fall. That's my limit really, I couldn't possibly handle high humidity into November.

The summer of 2011 is what really changed my perspective on this climate, and made me forever hate heat/humidity. I'll never forget that heatwave in July. Was 109 degrees with a dewpoint of 86 at 4PM, and I had to work outdoors that day. At 930PM it was still 100 degrees when a storm blew through..mostly just dry lightning and wind, but some light rain as well. Temp dropped to 94 but the dewpoint hit 89. Worst weather I've ever experienced.

• Like 2

Hard to get supercells without that anti-Timmy-Supercell weather, though. Severe storms are what keep me alive during the summer, and luckily we get them quite frequently. Not always worth it, but it helps my wx-weenie psyche regardless.

When midsummer dewpoints drop below 70 degrees, that's a huge event in my book. I can spend all day outdoors in weather like that.

I'm not sure if it is a stat that can be looked up, but from my personal observations I believe the highest DP ever recorded here is only something like 73 or 74 in my lifetime.  We can go years without seeing a 70 DP.  However, we can also go an entire year without a single thunderstorm.  I love them almost as much as I love the snow.

Central Oregon is never humid, but they still get frequent thunderstorms, occasionally severe.

• Like 1

I was about to mention that earlier. I happen to live in a house without AC. July 2014 and June 2015 would have been close to hell holes without thunderstorms. With an average indoor temp of 86-88 degrees (with highs of 90 inside) I would drink the next t'storm first chance I get.

It is very different in FL.  The storms basically hover a few hundred feet over the ground so the lightning has very little distance to discharge.  There is also a statistic that every square mile in central florida is struck by lightning 40 times a year...I believe it as it is the convergence zone of the onshore gradients between the gulf and the atlantic.  In a facility I was working at, we had lightning come in from the ground through the grounding rod and blow off a worker from a piece of equipment he was working on (in addition to damaging several boards on their ground side).  And these were just garden variety afternoon thunderstorms.  The severe stuff associated with fronts and tropical systems were something on extra levels of severity and duration.

• Like 3

Nasty! Where did you live? Our humidity cuts off in October usually, as the continental air starts dropping in. Usually it's one cold front that separates summer from fall. That's my limit really, I couldn't possibly handle high humidity into November.

The summer of 2011 is what really changed my perspective on this climate, and made me forever hate heat/humidity. I'll never forget that heatwave in July. Was 109 degrees with a dewpoint of 86 at 4PM, and I had to work outdoors that day. At 930PM it was still 100 degrees when a storm blew through..mostly just dry lightning and wind, but some light rain as well. Temp dropped to 94 but the dewpoint hit 89. Worst weather I've ever experienced.

Gainesville, FL.  Hottest was 103, can't remember the DP that day but rel. humidity was 73 at 103 but it all came from the devil in GA.  Worst weather was when there were forest fires somewhere in the SE and the air would just fill up with smoke and soot and the humidity just made it bake. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it is a stat that can be looked up, but from my personal observations I believe the highest DP ever recorded here is only something like 73 or 74 in my lifetime. We can go years without seeing a 70 DP. However, we can also go an entire year without a single thunderstorm. I love them almost as much as I love the snow.

Central Oregon is never humid, but they still get frequent thunderstorms, occasionally severe.

That's incredible. Can't argue that PNW summers aren't truly the greatest in the country.

Our *average* dewpoint last August was 74.4. :lol:

• Like 1

PDX set a record low max today of 28 and tied another record low with the 19. And already down to 23 at 7pm.

Amazingly different up north... 43 in SEA today.   Is this just the snow effect?   Amazing that SEA is at 43 and PDX is at 28 both with sunny skies.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Here is some photos taken today 1/15/2017.  In Scappoose area.

I measured just a hair under 12 inches when the snow stopped Wednesday afternoon.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/samoffett/IMG_0619_zpsilc5d5gz.jpg

Had to dig out.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/samoffett/IMG_0616_zpstwwaygo3.jpg

Weather Station, theres no heater on it.  So no wind speeds at the moment.http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/samoffett/IMG_0620_zpsk8bptm8f.jpg

Looking down our bumpy road.http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/samoffett/IMG_0618_zpsu4mbhnfh.jpg

Snow still on the North side of the trees.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/samoffett/IMG_0617_zpsawnemw9f.jpg

This big maple came down at around 2:30 AM Wednesday morning.  It was very loud

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/samoffett/IMG_0621_zpsnm1hr9gp.jpg and I could feel when it hit the ground.  The wet heavy snow was to much.

Thanks for the upload input.

I just looked at these again on my computer... and wow again.   It looks like it just fell. I am always watching the snow change even during cold weather at our house and this awesome for being 5 days after the event.   Amazing run.

No AC? That's just asking for it, man. No bueno.

This microburst back in 2010 (skip to 1:20 into video, peaks around 2 minutes in) knocked our power out for a solid week, right in the middle of a heatwave. We ended up having to stay at a hotel after the first night. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looks like this week will feature a major rain event, a modest storm, and maybe even a wet snow event toward its end. Beside cold and snow there will be plenty of activity to keep things interesting if you enjoy that side of the climate.

Personally, I really like the PNW climate overall, but I did intentionally buy in a slightly snowier location than most of the southern island. I couldn't deal with the lack of snow in Victoria. And although it will be sad to see our snow melt, it has been on the ground since December 5th. A heavy rain event and a possible wind storm should keep things interesting.

I'm not sure if it is a stat that can be looked up, but from my personal observations I believe the highest DP ever recorded here is only something like 73 or 74 in my lifetime.  We can go years without seeing a 70 DP.  However, we can also go an entire year without a single thunderstorm.  I love them almost as much as I love the snow.

Bend/Pendleton average many more severe storms per year than down here. I would like to relocate somewhere near the Blue Mountains, my chances go up 3-4 times. :P

Hailstorms too, here I rarely get any. Or at least since I moved here.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Amazingly different up north... 43 in SEA today. Is this just the snow effect? Amazing that SEA is at 43 and PDX is at 28 both with sunny skies.

It's not just the snow, Eugene and Salem were about 35 today, it's a cold low Level airmass via the gorge that is trapped below about 2500'. I pulled off a 30/20 here today.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Personally, I really like the PNW climate overall, but I did intentionally buy in a slightly snowier location than most of the southern island. I couldn't deal with the lack of snow in Victoria. And although it will be sad to see our snow melt, it has been on the ground since December 5th. A heavy rain event and a possible wind storm should keep things interesting.

Yeah... there are so many microclimates.    You can really narrow it down based on your preferences.

That's incredible. Can't argue that PNW summers aren't truly the greatest in the country.

Our *average* dewpoint last August was 74.4. :lol:

Without our near perfect summers, I can't imagine living here.  It is the payoff for such crappy weather 6+ months of the year.

It also explains why our coastal areas are so lightly populated.  The summers there are crap as well.

• Like 1

Gainesville, FL. Hottest was 103, can't remember the DP that day but rel. humidity was 73 at 103 but it all came from the devil in GA. Worst weather was when there were forest fires somewhere in the SE and the air would just fill up with smoke and soot and the humidity just made it bake.

Nice, I actually have family in Gainesville. I could never live in FL though..was down there in January and it was still in the low/mid 80s and kinda humid.

Without our near perfect summers, I can't imagine living here. It is the payoff for such crappy weather 6+ months of the year.

It also explains why our coastal areas are so lightly populated. The summers there are crap as well.

Coastal areas are populated as such due to employment opportunities, or lack thereof.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Don't you average lows in the 40s all summer though?

• Like 1

Without our near perfect summers, I can't imagine living here.  It is the payoff for such crappy weather 6+ months of the year.

It also explains why our coastal areas are so lightly populated.  The summers there are crap as well.

And all this time I was thinking it was the vampires... .... and not the 120" of rain a year

Don't you average lows in the 40s all summer though?

^ Key word up there.  :P

There are times where its between 55-58, occasionally 60+ degree lows but they are not incredibly common.

Depending on whether or not there is monsoonal flow it could be somewhat humid but half the time it's dry.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

NEW DAILY RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES FOR JANUARY 15TH...

NOTE: STATIONS MARKED WITH * INDICATE THAT THE STATION REPORTS ONCE
PER DAY. FOR CONSISTENCY...THESE VALUES ARE CONSIDERED TO HAVE
OCCURRED ON THE DAY THE OBSERVATION WAS TAKEN BUT MAY HAVE ACTUALLY
OCCURRED (ESPECIALLY FOR MAX TEMPERATURE) ON THE PREVIOUS DAY.

STATION PREVIOUS NEW RECORDS
RECORD/YEAR RECORD BEGAN

*JOHN DAY(CITY), OR 5 / 2007 3 1891
REDMOND, OR -5 / 1993 -8 1941

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID
626 PM MST SUN JAN 15 2017

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT BURNS OR...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -14 DEGREES WAS SET AT BURNS OR TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -10 SET IN 1947.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The weenie in me is still bitter after seeing PDX score so epicly, which is why I haven't posted for several days.  Too many similarities to 2008, which caused me some Jim level disappointment.  But a thought occurred to me in that the gorge increases snowfall down here quite a bit.  In many occasions, the entire Willamette Valley fills with cold thanks to the gorge.  Without it, I'd be Roseburg.  It snows far less in Roseburg.

I am happy for the PDX forum members.

• Like 2