January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

Move. We have come to love it here despite an insanely wet decade. It is what it is.

I'm going to when I can.  The fact I can't right now drives me insane.

This climate / micro climate keeps finding new ways to make me more agitated than I ever thought possible.  I swear we could have a verbatim Jan 1950 redux (at the 500mb level) and it would find a way to **** me over.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This climate / micro climate keeps finding new ways to make me more agitated than I ever thought possible.  I swear we could have a verbatim Jan 1950 redux (at the 500mb level) and it would find a way to **** me over.

Market could not better right now... strike while the iron is hot.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Matt is not judging this climate based on an event last Tuesday either.

This climate does suck, but admittedly we might be entering a better period that will feature more blocking / cold.  My dad's siblings who have lived here their entire lives are finally moving out of here...in fact one already has.  It just wears you down over time.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This climate does suck, but admittedly we might be entering a better period that will feature more blocking / cold.  My dad's siblings who have lived here their entire lives are finally moving out of here...in fact one already has.  It just wears you down over time.

Opposite for us... we have learned to love it for what it is.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This climate does suck, but admittedly we might be entering a better period that will feature more blocking / cold. My dad's siblings who have lived here their entire lives are finally moving out of here...in fact one already has. It just wears you down over time.

I'm in the very preliminary planning stage of moving which will probably be at least 10yrs or more down the road, however I hope to acquire property somewhere between Winthrop and Carlton in the next 3-5yrs and have a place to go to in the meantime. Ultimately we plan on renting out our house/property here and moving over. We will still have the family lake house at Lake Goodwin to come over to when we want to spend a weekend on the west side and still have our house here that will be paid off by then so it will be an income source rental so it will be the best of both worlds! So yeah even just the planning makes things not so dull and dire, you should do the same!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Pretty easy for you to say after two great snowy winters in the past 4 years.

I suppose, but we're talking about 8 out of about 1,440 days or so there.

Meaningful snow events are a reality in the lowland westside climate, but that reality is very much about happenstance, not inevitability. Our climate will still be what it is whether the next 10 winters are considered snowy or not.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm in the very preliminary planning stage of moving which will probably be at least 10yrs or more down the road, however I hope to acquire property somewhere between Winthrop and Carlton in the next 3-5yrs and have a place to go to in the meantime. Ultimately we plan on renting out our house/property here and moving over. We will still have the family lake house at Lake Goodwin to come over to when we want to spend a weekend on the west side and still have our house here that will be paid off by then so it will be an income source rental so it will be the best of both worlds! So yeah even just the planning makes things not so dull and dire, you should do the same!

Excellent points!

We still have to figure out where we will go.  I really never thought this place would eventually get to me this much.  Such a shame in a winter that has had such promise.  To be fair though this has been coming on for years.  This major solar minimum has a lot of lot of work to do to change my mind.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Opposite for us... we have learned to love it for what it is.

We'll see after we have a couple of cool not so great summers and a couple of Nov 2006 type fire hoses.

No matter what it's like putting lipstick on a pig unless you are talking about the 1890s or the 1950s.  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We'll see after we have a couple of cool not so great summers and a couple of Nov 2006 type fire hoses.

No matter what it's like putting lipstick on a pig unless you are talking about the 1890s or the 1950s.

There will be bad periods... we have had so much rain compared to normal in the last 5 years. It is what it is.

The natural scenic beauty of King County is simply awesome. From the Sound to the Cascades. And you have a thriving metro area as well. Its a good fit for us. The March - June period can be hard. Price you pay I guess.

Excellent points!

We still have to figure out where we will go. I really never thought this place would eventually get to me this much. Such a shame in a winter that has had such promise. To be fair though this has been coming on for years. This major solar minimum has a lot of lot of work to do to change my mind.

Move with Andrew to Michigan or Maine. Or to a lake effect snow belt somewhere. Go big or go home.

Recent events prove that historically gigantic snows can still happen. You give up too easily ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

This climate does suck, but admittedly we might be entering a better period that will feature more blocking / cold. My dad's siblings who have lived here their entire lives are finally moving out of here...in fact one already has. It just wears you down over time.

I guess it comes down to perspective. Too many years of trying to fit too many square pegs into round holes I would think is what actually wears you down.

• Like 1

I guess it comes down to perspective. Too many years of trying to fit too many square pegs into round holes I would think is what actually wears you down.

A little bit of snow would really help.  This climate is capable of that.  I don't how expecting it to snow when it's cold is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Ugh.

Welcome to the NW when some people get ****** over while others score huge.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Recent events prove that historically gigantic snows can still happen. You give up too easily ;)

They can certainly happen for others.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A little bit of snow would really help. This climate is capable of that. I don't how expecting it to snow when it's cold is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Well, NYE was a case in point. Your expectations were out of sync with reality, which clearly exacerbates your depressive swings. Seems like a controllable aspect of an unhealthy cycle.

That said, it will snow at your house again. Probably a lot at some ppint, but thinking there is a generalized method of saying how and when it will occur is dangerous if you're this emotionally invested.

Silly to entirely judge a place based on a few random snow events that never last long. Particulary when we always are so close to massive snow if you want to see it... or spend a weekend in it.

There is no game. It so stupid.

I hope you have 105 degrees with 90 degree dewpoints. Neither of us control the weather.

Just don't talk to Snow Wiz anymore.  You're not his life-coach.  Pretty easy to play Monday morning quarterback.  At least he's trying to show how, throw the models, we can get snow.  That's why people are here--not to listen to you counsel him.   I would rather hear from him 10 times over than listen to your self-righteous drivel.  Asswipe.

• Like 1

Just don't talk to Snow Wiz anymore. You're not his life-coach. Pretty easy to play Monday morning quarterback. At least he's trying to show how, throw the models, we can get snow. That's why people are here--not to listen to you counsel him. I would rather hear from him 10 times over than listen to your self-righteous drivel. Asswipe.

I always post model data. And am always happy when other places score.

He is begging for counseling here right now. Do we have to listen to how much he hates where we all live?

Wow.

Silly to entirely judge a place based on a few random snow events that never last long. Particulary when we always are so close to massive snow if you want to see it... or spend a weekend in it.

That's pretty silly too, though. Do you really think people, at least those here, would suddenly want it to snow less after a trip to the mountains?

That's pretty silly too, though. Do you really think people, at least those here, would suddenly want it to snow less after a trip to the mountains?

No... but its an option here unlike other places. And if you are judging our entire area on our very random and short-lived snow events than you are not going to be happy.

It's like a bunch of high school children in here. I'll have to keep this lynch mob mentality in mind after I've given many chances to so many of you who have been attacking Tim publicly instead of sticking to reporting like I have said so many times to do. Outside of snow_wizard, almost every one of you, excluding maybe one or two, have themselves been stirring up trouble within the past couple months. Let he who has not been causing trouble the past couple months be the only ones to post about what Tim said earlier today. Better yet, don't and stick to reports and talking about the weather instead.

Stop the attacks, on any side, it's off-putting.

• Like 1

After living 15 years in a couple of the hottest climates in the lower-48, I moved back 7 years ago and can say the winter really isn't the selling point.  I can also understand that there would be a season in an area that would drive you nuts.  For me it was the heat, not necessarily the temp but the duration.  When going on about month 5 of dewpoints in the 70's or the 3rd week in a row when the A/C still can't cool the house below 85 because the delta T on the evaporator won't drop within it's efficiency range until sometime after 2am and by 8am it is 92 out already heading for 118.    At least here, once you hit the equinox you get long days, a chance at some very nice springtime weather and almost always a great summer that really don't break an extended sweat.  And there are many flavors of severe weather this area is not exposed to.  The first severe thunder storm in FL I sat through I found out what the fear of God was.  So I can understand the weather being a drag.  But I like it here for different reasons.

• Like 1

After living 15 years in a couple of the hottest climates in the lower-48, I moved back 7 years ago and can say the winter really isn't the selling point.  I can also understand that there would be a season in an area that would drive you nuts.  For me it was the heat, not necessarily the temp but the duration.  When going on about month 5 of dewpoints in the 70's or the 3rd week in a row when the A/C still can't cool the house below 85 because the delta T on the evaporator won't drop within it's efficiency range until sometime after 2am and by 8am it is 92 out already heading for 118.    At least here, once you hit the equinox you get long days, a chance at some very nice springtime weather and almost always a great summer that really don't break an extended sweat.  And there are many flavors of severe weather this area is not exposed to.  The first severe thunder storm in FL I sat through I found out what the fear of God was.  So I can understand the weather being a drag.  But I like it here for different reasons.

I agree wholeheartedly.

For myself it's a combo of factors that have slowly soured my love for the area that I grew up in...51 percent is the absolute scum, drugs and development that have moved into my quiet sleepy town that I grew up in and 49 percent the rain...not so much the lack of snow over the last few years. Simply tired of wet muddy dogs and sloppy yards...which there is no way around unless I artificial turf my two acres. The biggest issue I will face when I move over to the Winthrop area will be the fire risk...I will just need to careful with my property. But it's much drier and much snowier, and I will have enough property that I will not start feeling like I'm slowly getting squashed by Wal Mart's, apartments, and scum of the earth doing drug deals on my once quiet side road. Andcmy dogs won't be covered from head to toe in mud. Don't think I would ever leave the state however...it's simply amazing here in Wa!

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!