February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I want it to hit 60+. If it's going to rain like this then I'd like to see it flood.

I'm with you. Not a big fan of the weather the past few days. Cold and rainy makes it painful to be outside. 

Of course it is all relative. I would love this weather if it was happening in October. 

I think the fact that 30% of the forum is now bitching and whining about the cold and winter weather at this point is probably its greatest badge of honor yet.

Don't remember that really happening in the past. Definitely cements its top tier status.

• Like 3

I think the fact that 30% of the forum is now bitching and whining about the cold and winter weather at this point is probably its greatest badge of honor yet.

Don't remember that really happening in the past. Definitely cements its top tier status.

Has a loooooooooooooooong way to go to get to an equally bitchified status circa summer 2015 in Jesse's World.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Been getting nonsticking snow pretty much nonstop here in Mountlake Terrace since about 7:30 this morning.

Been some truly giant flakes over the last hour or so.

Looks like it's finally starting to turn to rain now. Made it till Noon. Not a bad run.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Guest Sounder

I'm genuinely looking forward to warmer weather now. First time in years that I haven't felt a twinge of disappointment in winter coming to an end.

Some days in the upper 60s mixed with a few showery thunderstorm days sound like a perfect spring right now.

I left my work around 9:30am to light sticking snow, drove to Skykomish in all snow all the way but wasn't sticking to the road until about Index. 27 degrees and snowing in Skykomish (just lovely) then back it was a rain/snow mix from Monroe to Arlington, north of Arlington all snow which it is still at my work. 33 degrees and only sticking to the grass and old snow at this point. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

From nothing to blizzard like conditions in a matter of minutes in North Bellingham.

Good sign for you guys...still snowing like crazy here at the Snohomish/Skagit border...just not sticking to the pavement. 

EDIT...Pavement now slushing up as well with heavy snow falling.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Skykomish 2hrs or so ago.

I love that place. Me and some friends go over there every week or two whenever we feel snow starved. A nice hour or so long drive, 30-45 minutes to enjoy the snow, then we go home. Some of my best memories are from doing this, I love it.

• Like 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Heavy snow still here at work...pleasant surprise since I figured we would be all rain by noon. 

WRF showed a pocket of cold air up there through mid-afternoon.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Is he job shadowing you?

Yeah though I am finding him to be very all over the place...a little lack of focus I would say. Very fine light snow with rain mixed now all of a sudden. 

Snow was heavy enough to start sticking up here at 32F, but now it's warmed back up to 33F it's mostly just extremely wet slush falling.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Keeps bouncing between mostly rain and mostly snow depending on precip intensity here at work.

Such an amazing scene up at the border...

http://images.wsdot.wa.gov/nw/539vc01467.jpg

• Like 1

Just clicking on the forecast for Bellingham this afternoon and it's calling for 37° and rain. In reality the last observation was moderate snow and 27°, N wind 16mph.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Any idea how much snow Lynden and Sumas have gotten this winter?  Seems like every time I look at the WSDOT cams in Sumas it looks like North Dakota....

Well, the Clearbrook COOP was officially at 39.0" for the winter as of Monday. Depth of 16". 

Abbotsford was at 41.8" as of Tuesday, with a depth of 18". 

• Like 5

Just clicking on the forecast for Bellingham this afternoon and it's calling for 37° and rain. In reality the last observation was moderate snow and 27°, N wind 16mph.

Yeah those point/click forecasts can sometimes be horribly off. Still only 25F in Lynden with snow. 

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Seattle WA
300 PM PST Wed Feb 8 2017

.SHORT TERM...It is warmer at Paradise Mount Rainier than it is in
Bellingham this afternoon as a warm front pushes into the area. 

Well, the Clearbrook COOP was officially at 39.0" for the winter as of Monday. Depth of 16".

Abbotsford was at 41.8" as of Tuesday, with a depth of 18".

I'm looking forward to seeing a comprehensive list of regional snow totals once this winter is said and done.

I imagine there must be some pretty insane numbers in the Central Gorge as well. I was talking to a teacher I used to work with who lives in White Salmon and she was saying the last time she measured before the last thaw she had close to 3' on the ground. I guess she has picked up another 1'+ since then.

• Like 1