PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I’m still in the blue! 

I have to believe you are golden for this entire system... particularly given your current temperature.

Also... some sort of warm front feature is really showing up on radar now from Seattle northward and precip is exploding and heading your way.

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 hours ago, Perturbed Member said:

Mark Nelsen thinks PDX is pretty screwed from ice and power outages.

"

• Assume much of the I-5 corridor could “shut down” driving-wise Friday, for one day. Then there’s a decent chance at least half the metro area is still frozen through Saturday. Maybe roads are much better west/south metro…maybe. Worst-case scenario is that it’ll be hard to move in much of the Portland metro area all of Friday and Saturday with lots of freezing rain and power outagesA memorable Christmas ice storm. Best case is that most of the I-5 corridor is in good shape by midday Saturday and ice storm conditions are only confined to east metro areas near the Gorge. That’s best case.

"

He also does not believe we will have snow for very long if we get it at all. 

"Most models have precipitation arriving 4pm-10pm Thursday. That’s just a first guess. So the first snow/ice pellets/freezing rain MAY impact the Thursday evening commute. If it starts as snow, it can’t last long because forecast soundings imply warming overhead happens quickly."

I hope PDX can somehow eek out a quick inch or two before that nasty ice but the models have all been consistent in showing significant WAA. The soundings show steady easterly flow up to 900mb even during the steady precip but I don't think that is quite deep enough for snow. 

with the air as dry as it will be, there will be a lot of time eaten up moistening up the atmosphere.  If that's the case doesn't that just bring us closer to ZR time?  That east wind is going to eat a lot of snow for a while.  By then I'm concerned those mid levels will maybe starting to warm. Thoughts on that?  Timing is going to be important here as there may not be a big window for snow.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

4 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Ugh oh

1C3B2B54-1DBD-4FAA-B310-7ECE3DB4424A.png

54B54F80-3370-477C-A843-0F551647E065.png

FA231DA4-647E-4F4A-B11B-E459A8216CB6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Sad 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

5 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Zillow needs a filter for elevation.

I did select my current home in part by asking the local weather weenies which neighbourhoods are the snowiest. It's paid off, too: most snowfalls I get at least twice as much as Downtown gets.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

4 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

00z NAM shows snow from about Salem North to Vancouver Island with the arrival of the system by Thursday 7pm.

9FDD6820-57AF-471C-830F-E5FA37843C1D.thumb.png.1f2001aef4543e8ee6b5648c8d6e265c.png

00z NAM PDX sounding does show the whole column below freezing during that first band, you can see some warming and temps just around freezing at 830mb. Seems increasingly possible that PDX will get some light snow accumulation before the changeover. 

nam_2022122000_075_45.48--122.85.png

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I have to believe you are golden for this entire system... particularly given your current temperature.

Also... some sort of warm front feature is really showing up on radar now from Seattle northward and precip is exploding and heading your way.

This is really looking good north of Seattle.  The radar looks pretty weak off the coast and most of the energy looks to be focused north. 

• Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.