PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

7 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Figures. They have had over 30 years to best their old record. I think it's right around the coldest that site can get, but it would take only another 2 degrees to take the crown away from Rogers Pass, MT.

They got down to -53.5f with the January 2017 airmass, with perfect conditions and a good airmass they could probably do it sometime.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

Currently 27.1*f here in Yelm. Radar shows snow, but that's a big fat lie! Is the costal radar still down? It's been showing up as red on my Radar Scope for a few days now.... :(

It was a scheduled upgrade like the KATX radar went through early this month... supposed to be down through Friday.   

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 hours ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Impressive system spinning around near Hawaii with a ton of lightning.

cira-rammb-slider---goes-18---full_disk---band_15-opacity-100---20230131030020-20230131084020.gif

cira-rammb-slider---goes-18---full_disk---cira_glm_l2_group_energy-opacity-100---20230131030020-20230131084020.gif

I have been watching this for the last few days... its been crazy down there with lots of flooding.    Kona low! 

We were very lucky that we planned our trip starting this coming weekend and not this past weekend.    It looks absolutely perfect down there starting later this week all of next week.   Whew!  

• Rain 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Coldest location in the lower 48

image.png

Those precip amounts make no sense!  -55 degrees with 1.26 inches of precip in an hour but only .76 inches over 3 hours?   I don't think its possible to get an inch of precip in a hour at -55 degrees.   😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Those precip amounts make no sense!  -55 degrees with 1.26 inches of precip in an hour but only .76 inches over 3 hours?   I don't think its possible to get an inch of precip in a hour at -55 degrees.   😀

Yeahhhhh some issues with that. Temp might be right though.

4 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Yeahhhhh some issues with that. Temp might be right though.

It would be a 100:1 ratio at that point... so that would be 126 inches of snow in an hour!  

Looks like SEA will finish January around +0.7 so just slightly warmer than normal (using the new warmer 1991-2020 average)

Last January was -1.8 so this month will end up about 2.5 degrees warmer.   

28 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Livingston, Montana looks like the best morning I can find!

image.png

Windiest city in the country! Livingston is only about 15 miles east of me as the crow flies yet it’s dead calm here. The front range is crazy like that.

FWIW, it’s not actually snowing there/here. It’s just a full on ground blizzard and the sensor is picking it up as actively falling snowfall.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It would be a 100:1 ratio at that point... so that would be 126 inches of snow in an hour!  

Speaking of heavy snowfall rates, my footprints are almost gone in the span of 30 minutes.  Starting to worry about the snow load on my roof.  I hope I don’t have any ice dams form.  

currently 28.6

33372BD0-3EE1-4812-9793-16C2E2D10FC0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Shivering 1

Got a light snow going in North Seattle! Basically a flurry. 30F.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Maybe this morning will be the time when they break their old record of -69 and Utah ties or bests Montana for being the coldest state in the lower 48? I know by personal experience how bitter the winters in that part of Utah can be.

Montana is way colder on the whole though.  Peter Sinks is just one location that has exceptionally good radiational cooling.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SnowySeeker50 said:

Snowing here now

Nothing here yet, but it's 29.8 so anything that falls will stick.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

The first half of February is probably off the table at this point.   I think the focus next shifts to the last week of the month.  

ecmwf-ensemble-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-5123200.png

gfs-ensemble-all-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-5144800.png

I'm not convinced this is correct.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm not convinced this is correct.

MJO is unfavorable until later in the month.  Anything interesting in the models in the long range will probably be fleeting for a couple weeks.   But the opposite might be true during the last week of February. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtep said:

This dusting is a nice little surprise. Really didn't think we'd see much of anything. 

Shouldn’t be a surprise. Models had converged on it by yesterday evening. What is a surprise is how far south it is getting. Seattle metro area was not supposed to get anything.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just now, Doinko said:

Seems like you're doing better than what most models showed at this point besides the HRRR?

Even the HRRR has really pulled back on amounts overnight. No model was calling for more than 0.5 cm accumulation as of 05:00 when the snow began. Now about twice that amount on the ground and still coming down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Shouldn’t be a surprise. Models had converged on it by yesterday evening. What is a surprise is how far south it is getting. Seattle metro area was not supposed to get anything.

Has to be measurable though for it to show up in the models.   By that metric... the models were basically correct down here.

Main part of band is passing through here now but nothing is falling.  Next warm front wave comes later tonight.

• Like 1

31.8F and some light snow falling outside! I've been pretty busy over the last couple days so this is one of the first times in the last decade or two I haven't been religiously following the models in the run-up to a snow event. Maybe 0.1" on the ground so it's not much, but it's still fun to see!

• Like 3

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Nothing here yet, but it's 29.8 so anything that falls will stick.

It’s light stuff but the grounds frozen solid so anything that is falling is sticking. Will only be a trace but not bad to technically get measurable snowfall in November, December and January. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

My brother says it’s snowing in Tacoma too. With the snow/graupel event on Saturday and maybe a little skiff of snow this morning…this cold snap did better than I thought it would. Still pretty minor but for January not bad. 

Nothing here yet. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It’s light stuff but the grounds frozen solid so anything that is falling is sticking. Will only be a trace but not bad to technically get measurable snowfall in November, December and January. 

A trace is not considered measurable.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1