December 2017 Observations and Discussions

Niko

At this time there is not a cloud in the sky here. The low at both my house and airport was 28° and the current temperature is 30 here and at the airport.  At this time, GRR total snow fall for this season is still 0.6” with 0.4” falling in October and 0.2” falling in November. Some time yesterday the airport reported a trace of snow fall. I did see maybe 5 very small snow flurries last evening but that was it.  The average date for the first inch of snow in GRR is November 19th so we are well past that date.  The latest date for the first inch at GRR is December 23rd 2011.  At this time it looks like the best chance of snow this week and next week will be Friday and maybe again next Monday but there could be rain mixed in (or maybe just rain) on Monday.

Don't think you will see just plain rain....a mix, maybe, but overall, plain rain looks slim. Very cold air will be arriving next week (Monday timeframe) w highs being bitterly cold, especially at night. Get ready for some squally weather.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

While doing some research on the latest dates for the first one-inch snow fall I came up with some surprising information While the latest first date for one-inch snow fall here in Grand Rapids is December 23rd in 2011.  Now that is late for around here (Grand Rapids still has not recorded its first inch this season yet!) but what surprised me was that in the winter of 1931/32 Muskegon on the lake shore did NOT record their fist inch of snow until March 2nd 1932. In fact they did not record their first half inch until February 1st 1932 with the months of November, December and January just reported a trace of snow fall. For the 1931/32 winter season Muskegon recorded only 20.6” of snow fall of that 20.1” fell in March!  At Grand Rapids that winter 41.1” of snow fall was recorded and of that 25.2” was reported in March.

• Like 1

Winds are not as bad today luckily. Still, they are gusty at times. Yesterday was horrendous.

Thursday looks to be our first day where the forecast highs aren’t supposed to make it to freezing. A little surprising to me, but normally this first occurrence happens mid November. So tomorrow will be “somewhere between the 5-15th latest occurrence of that happening” according to the NWS discussion. Another sign of the slow start around here.

• Like 1

Thursday looks to be our first day where the forecast highs aren’t supposed to make it to freezing. A little surprising to me, but normally this first occurrence happens mid November. So tomorrow will be “somewhere between the 5-15th latest occurrence of that happening” according to the NWS discussion. Another sign of the slow start around here.

Maybe you will get a back-loaded Winter.

Don't think you will see just plain rain....a mix, maybe, but overall, plain rain looks slim. Very cold air will be arriving next week (Monday timeframe) w highs being bitterly cold, especially at night. Get ready for some squally weather.

I was surprised that even the mention of a rain mix was in the GRR forecast. While we "should" see snow in the next two weeks I am not sure as to how much. The air is very dry today it is not often when on the west side of the state we see a sunny day like today with a west wind and temperatures below freezing in December. In fact I think the west side of the state stands a better chance of seeing snow next week that this week. 

Despite being in a "cold" nw flow pattern, the latest Euro doesn't have a single below-average low temp here for the next 10 days, and only half of the high temps are below average.

Last evening I saw a few flurries for only the second time this season.  The snow season is certainly off to a dreadful start.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Despite being in a "cold" nw flow pattern, the latest Euro doesn't have a single below-average low temp here for the next 10 days, and only half of the high temps are below average.

Last evening I saw a few flurries for only the second time this season. The snow season is certainly off to a dreadful start.

The most dreadful part is how there is literally no sign of any measurable snow in our area for the next 10 days st least. Made worse because it looked decent just last week, again, the ridge over the west coast really, really, really screwed us over. The systems that may have travelled here are now travelling over the lakes. It wouldn't seem nearly as bad if there were at least chances for a system in the foreseeable future, but alas, there is not. As Ricky, Tom and others have eluded to though, the ensembles flatten the ridge out by the 15th or so, and god do I hope it happens otherwise well still have to role the dice on dry clippers.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I was surprised that even the mention of a rain mix was in the GRR forecast. While we "should" see snow in the next two weeks I am not sure as to how much. The air is very dry today it is not often when on the west side of the state we see a sunny day like today with a west wind and temperatures below freezing in December. In fact I think the west side of the state stands a better chance of seeing snow next week that this week. 

Indeed, very dry air is currently over us, thus, limiting any snow opportunity. It gets better though down the road. Keep an eye on that clipper over the weekend. Maps are pouring in w great results.

Last evening I saw a few flurries for only the second time this season.  The snow season is certainly off to a dreadful start.

It is, but, things will eventually pick up this month as everything starts falling into place slowly. We have the cold weather at least. Now, we just have to fix that darn storm track and we are in business.

Its a good pattern for flurries..

• Like 1

Currently @ 31F and sunny. Winds are still gusty though, creating an uncomfortable realfeel of 21F.

Its not bad outside if the wind is not strong. It actually feels good. Currently @ 33F.

I would have never guessed we would be sitting here looking at this boring of a weather pattern, we will be lucky to see a snowflake by Christmas time. Just unbelievable!  

Isn't that sad? I don't want to sound like a whiner, generally I'm more of a warm weather person as is, but at this rate I am so ready for Spring!!! I miss severe wx season already :(

• Like 1

Isn't that sad? I don't want to sound like a whiner, generally I'm more of a warm weather person as is, but at this rate I am so ready for Spring!!! I miss severe wx season already :(

I hear ya loud and clear,  I wont like it if it doesn't snow, but if it isn't going to snow I just wish it would stay warm.  There is something about 25-30mph cold wind smacking you in the face that is hard to get excited about without snow.  We shall see, if indeed a turnaround happens it doesn't look like it will be until after the new year.

Not this region, but it's looking more likely that parts of Deep South see measurable snow Friday, maybe even down to coast of MS, AL, LA, and FL. Kind of cool but also ridiculous since much of the Midwest hasn't seen an accumulating snow yet.

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

I know this is off topic, but my goodness, what would you do if your morning commute looked like this???

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/938409897825247233/pu/img/CXkAdcMXCUIA56b5.jpg

Scream! :wacko:

@ 38F w still strong gusty winds around. Sunny though w a few fair weather clouds.

Don't give up, middle of the month things are trending better.  There is something brewing and both the 12z Euro/GFS showing a -NAO and a neutral PNA.  Today's 12z Euro showing signs of something trying to develop in the central Plains when you look at the overall pattern it has a storm system written all over it.

This look below is very interesting....2 branches trying to spark some magic???  We'll see, as I have seen this movie before.

• Like 2

I think California should be a topic to discuss. Think about all of the destruction from these fires. We think that SW Ridge sucks here, just look what it's doing to those areas that are centered right under it. It would benefit the whole country if that ridge would just GTFO.

• Like 5

So, I'm currently experiencing a mini blizzard at the moment!!! This came out of no where! Visibility has to be down around a 1/2 mile. 

A very narrow snow squall is moving south through south central
Nebraska this afternoon. Expect wind gusts up to 45 mph from the
north along with blowing snow and visibility briefly dipping to
one quarter to one half mile, for perhaps a half hour to an hour.
The snow squall at 1 pm was in a line from Ord to near Fullerton,
and should arrive along Interstate 80 by near 2 pm. The snow
squall will continue moving south to the Nebraska and Kansas state
line by 3 pm or so, and will likely start falling apart by late
afternoon. Again, the lower visibility should only last about a
half hour to an hour, but could be rather intense during this
short time.

Image-1.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

• Like 5

Have stuff falling as snow to our North coming South. Hoping it can stay as snow when it gets here.

I like being wrong. Nice little blizzard happening. Even looks measurable. I'll post pics once it's all done

This is heavier than any of the snowfalls we had here last year.

And it's headed down our way!! Wunderground is showing 44% chance of snow beginning at 5 PM for St. Joseph, MO! Glad I get off at 3:30 so I can play outside!

Yeah it snowed hard for a bit with some huge flakes. Almost looked like a squall line rolling in from the north, then the winds picked up big time and it started to sleet/snow. Definitely cool, even though it didn't amount to anything!

I noticed there were definitely some decent looking cumulus clouds that had almost a convective look to them. We didn't get jack here in Omaha though.

GAH. ANOTHER TRACE RECORDED. I swear we're gonna set a record for latest measurable snowfall. This is the second time this year that there has been measurable snow in my part of town but not at the airport.

Record latest measurable snow came on December 31, 2006. That might be in danger at this rate.

The snow flash froze on my balcony so that's cool.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.