January Weather In the PNW

stuffradio

Sounds like something you would say

It actually doesn’t at all, I rarely forecast anything on this forum beyond my own interpretation of models not exceeding clown range gfs.

“Big Mack’s are gross”. Sounds like something I would say though.

For those of you that care about the Euro weeklies, they are out. Free 850 and 500mb maps at Wx.graphics no ridging over us, a signal starting late January for bridging in Alaska with cool 850's in the PNW. Warm 850's week 2, cooling off week 3 with what looks like wet NW flow? 10 days later the flat ridge in the Pacific heads to Alaska. This is the ensemble mean, not the control run.

You can post a few maps if you want.

Day 20

eps_m_z500a_noram_41.png

Day 30

eps_m_z500a_noram_61.png

Day 45

eps_m_z500a_noram_91.png

Days 30 and 45 look intriguing considering their that far out. Definitely some hints of an Arctic Blast signal.

You can post a few maps if you want.

Day 20

eps_m_z500a_noram_41.png

Day 30

eps_m_z500a_noram_61.png

Day 45

eps_m_z500a_noram_91.png

OT, but all I want is an Arctic blast of the ages centered over Montana/Idaho and a modest SE-Ridge to set up the snowstorm train in my backyard for a few weeks, instead of suppressing everything into FL. That used to happen all the time in the 1850-1900 period, but really hasn’t since the 1970s.

OT, but all I want is an Arctic blast of the ages centered over Montana/Idaho and a modest SE-Ridge to set up the snowstorm train in my backyard for a few weeks, instead of suppressing everything into FL. That used to happen all the time in the 1850-1900 period, but really hasn’t since the 1970s.

we also have it seen a negative nao winter period since the mini version of it in the 2009-2011 time frame since then it has been stuck in a permanent positive mode the summer has been the oppersite with the nao.

The Euro weeklies a few weeks ago said the PNW was going to be in the icebox now, so hard to take it seriously. Although I am fairly cold with a good amount of snow. Anyway, these hours were already posted, but I like this perspective.

attachicon.gifeps_z500a_d5_globe_720.png

attachicon.gifeps_z500a_d5_globe_960.png

The 500mb anomaly/ridging looks to be centered at 150 W. That's a good sign.

The Euro weeklies a few weeks ago said the PNW was going to be in the icebox now, so hard to take it seriously. Although I am fairly cold with a good amount of snow. Anyway, these hours were already posted, but I like this perspective.

eps_z500a_d5_globe_720.png

eps_z500a_d5_globe_960.png

Well, if that vortex over Greenland verifies..I promise you it will not happen. Get rid of that f**ker.

attachicon.gifeps_z500a_d5_globe_720.png

attachicon.gifeps_z500a_d5_globe_960.png

Yeah....pretty solid run on the weeklies today.  Nice to see the mean good as opposed to just the control like previous runs.  It appears to take us from a -PNA / neutral EPO to -PNA / -EPO as we get to the very end of the month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

January ain't looking promising folks. It's either February, some sloppy snow in March, or nothing at this point.

Still time for part of January to deliver.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

we also have it seen a negative nao winter period since the mini version of it in the 2009-2011 time frame since then it has been stuck in a permanent positive mode the summer has been the oppersite with the nao.

Yep, 2008/09, 2009/10, & 2010/11 were mostly -NAO on the low frequency. It was a fantastic stretch, and it resulted in both a drop in the global temperature and a period of coast-to-coast storminess that hasn’t been replicated since.

Anxiously waiting for the AP index to plunge back to those insanely low levels and tank the annular mode(s) like the good old days.

• Like 1

...the MJO forecasts still aren't updated today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Things can change quickly.

They probably will now that a major pattern shake up is well advertised.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The La Niña signature in the Pacific is really strengthening right now, FWIW. Looks like a late climax.

• Like 1

Does anyone agree with me that the whole "bomb cyclone" terminology being used for the East Coast storm is just stupid?  I hate it when they use weather terms that have been in existence for decades and try to make it sound like something that never happened before.  The whole polar vortex thing a few years ago was the same.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Does anyone agree with me that the whole "bomb cyclone" terminology being used for the East Coast storm is just stupid?  I hate it when they use weather terms that have been in existence for decades and try to make it sound like something that never happened before.  The whole polar vortex thing a few years ago was the same.

It is silly, but predictable.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The La Niña signature in the Pacific is really strengthening right now, FWIW. Looks like a late climax.

This does have the earmarks of a great back half winter if we can stay away from a raging EPO.  I was commenting the other day the anemic SOI in recent weeks is probably related to the positive PNA we had in some regard.  The tropics are extremely important to what happens in the mid latitudes as you know.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Does anyone agree with me that the whole "bomb cyclone" terminology being used for the East Coast storm is just stupid? I hate it when they use weather terms that have been in existence for decades and try to make it sound like something that never happened before. The whole polar vortex thing a few years ago was the same.

You're right.

Yes. AND it's just as annoying when people in both of my weather groups keep commenting on the stupid terminology that the media insists on using for clicks and likes. It makes the laymen person think this kind of storm is unprecedented or it's something new. NOPE. Dumb dumb dumb.

--

0z ECMWF in 1 hour 12 minutes

Does anyone agree with me that the whole "bomb cyclone" terminology being used for the East Coast storm is just stupid? I hate it when they use weather terms that have been in existence for decades and try to make it sound like something that never happened before. The whole polar vortex thing a few years ago was the same.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It was actually one of the fastest non-tropical pressure drops ever recorded, and perhaps the fastest non-tropical pressure drop ever recorded at that low of a latitude.

Storms like this one aren’t common, as far as life cycle is concerned.

• Like 3

interesting if this could make a run to a moderate La niña if so that would be a tottel unexpected outcome as most went with weak dying la niña as the winter progress and instead this one maybe getting stronger as the winter gos on.

Even with a Storm King type of system, the national weather forecasters still wouldn't blink in our direction.

"Well, looks like your typical breezy day in the Pacific Northwest. Meanwhile, New England is seeing strong 30mph gusts. Be careful out there folks!!"

That’s bulls**t.

I heard Mars is tropical compared to what the East Coast is in for!!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The media doesn’t cover PNW snow because it doesn’t snow very much in the cities there. Sorry to put it that way, but it’s just reality.

Does the media print headlines every time it snows in Burlington VT or Albany NY? Of course not. They don’t care about blizzards in tiny a** PNW suburbs either, and they never will.

Lol yea I saw that on CNN. Parts of east coast colder than mars especially mt Washington

With an average temp of -67F on Mars you can chalk that one up as more sensationalist news...

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It was actually one of the fastest non-tropical pressure drops ever recorded, and perhaps the fastest non-tropical pressure drop ever recorded at that low of a latitude.

Storms like this one aren’t common, as far as life cycle is concerned.

agreed and even those the impact here was less then special it's still very much in a forecasting since an exciting storm to have track and seen and study on.

If it were actually 15*F with thundersnow and 60mph winds in Seattle, you bet the media would hype the s**t out of it.

The problem is, that doesn’t happen.

This is just comical

Does anyone actually watch CNN anymore? Last time I watched was 1989 during Hurricane Hugo coverage! Has gone downhill since.
  • Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!