1/21 - 1/23 Plains/Midwest Blizzard

Tom

Measuring is impossible. Measured 6 areas on the grass, 2 places were 2", 2 places were 3", and 2 were 5". I'm calling it 3" and still puking. Up to 8" drifts.

You guys are doing great as the heavier snow keeps redeveloping over Lincoln. Just in the last 5 minutes, we're getting another weeny heavy band developing over west Omaha.

Measuring is impossible. Measured 6 areas on the grass, 2 places were 2", 2 places were 3", and 2 were 5". I'm calling it 3" and still puking. Up to 8" drifts.

Tell me about it! My snowboard has been at 8" of snow since noon and I know we picked up at least another 3". Here are some pics I have taken throughout the day including the ones I took not long ago; it was ripping harder than it has been all day at the time. I'm in the process of uploading my footage of the blizzard. 

1:22:18 blizzard (1).jpg

1:22:18 (2).jpg

1:22:18 (3).jpg

1:22:18 (4).jpg

1:22:18 (5).jpg

1:22:18 (6).jpg

• Like 6

Lighter now. Smaller flakes. That was fun while it lasted. We could still have moderate snow, but I think we're done with the heaviest stuff. I say we pick up maybe another inch on the day. Really wouldn't be a bad day.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Oh gotcha. My bad. Sorry man didn’t realize that’s what you said. I’ll be interested to see final reports.

Yeah so am I. The airport hasn't come forward with any measurements yet but they got the best of what fell in Lincoln this morning in addition to a good band in the afternoon.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Hastings just had an interesting summary of the storm, what they got right and what they missed. Kept saying it wasn’t a “bust” forecast. I don’t think it necessarily was, I was predicted to get anywhere from 11-17” and got probably 3”. They blamed dry air for later snow starting and less of it in parts of the area including mine.

Honest question, can forecasters see the dry air and set their forecasts accordingly? I kept seeing my area on run after run being much lower for amounts, but they upped totals on Sunday morning. I am still learning about weather and may look at this aspect closer if we get another big one to come through. Thanks for your information and knowledge.

Hastings just had an interesting summary of the storm, what they got right and what they missed. Kept saying it wasn’t a “bust” forecast. I don’t think it necessarily was, I was predicted to get anywhere from 11-17” and got probably 3”. They blamed dry air for later snow starting and less of it in parts of the area including mine.

Honest question, can forecasters see the dry air and set their forecasts accordingly? I kept seeing my area on run after run being much lower for amounts, but they upped totals on Sunday morning. I am still learning about weather and may look at this aspect closer if we get another big one to come through. Thanks for your information and knowledge.

the storms down in the ArkLaTex were a red flag for me 

• Like 1

I just measured the snow depth in six different relatively undisturbed spots, and came up with an average of 5.5 inches of snow from today's storm.

Not too bad of a storm at all today, and it looks like we could tack on another half inch to an inch during the evening to get us over the half foot mark here in Southwest Omaha. This was an interesting system to watch, and was enough snow for myself and my two young kids to build a decent sized snowman in the front yard. All I wanted this year was a decent snowman-building type snowfall to make the kiddos happy, and we finally got it in our neighborhood. 

• Like 1

I just measured the snow depth in six different relatively undisturbed spots, and came up with an average of 5.5 inches of snow from today's storm.

Not too bad of a storm at all today, and it looks like we could tack on another half inch to an inch during the evening to get us over the half foot mark here in Southwest Omaha. This was an interesting system to watch, and was enough snow for myself and my two young kids to build a decent sized snowman in the front yard. All I wanted this year was a decent snowman-building type snowfall to make the kiddos happy, and we finally got it in our neighborhood. 

Where are you at if I may ask? I'm up near 680 and Irvington exit and I think we missed out on that heavy area that developed around 10am and lasted for a couple of hours. 

It's neat watching the ne to sw moist conveyor park over the Twin Cities and just keep the moderate to heavy snow coming.  It'd be nice to see something like that again around here one of these days weeks months years.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Here is a link to all the videos I uploaded to

today. Let me know if they don't work.......I must say this ranks right up there with one of the strongest blizzards that I can remember.

I'm your first Sub. :P Nice videos! Thanks for uploading so those of us who were less fortunate could see.

• Like 1

Man totals really varied across Douglas County today. near 7 inches down the road in Millard from me and 1.5 inches in downtown to 2 inches in north Omaha.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/