April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Go take a walk or something. I just don't get how the weather here can stress you out so bad when you are gone. It was the same deal in Hawaii.

I am not stressed at all.

Sounds like it high stress there though trying to get through this heat. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am not stressed at all.

Sounds like it high stress there though trying to get through this heat. 

We are just trolling. Although this isn't my favorite weather, it isn't that bad.

If people actually complained about this stuff the way you and MossMan do about the rain there would be another five pages added to the forum today. :lol:

2008 had significant warm spells in mid-April and mid-May. You brought up the mid-May one just last night. ;)

But this year had some impressive warmth in January and March as well.   

It has been coming back with some regularity.    I feel pretty good about summer.   And that does NOT mean I think a hot summer is in the cards.   I don't think that at all.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We are just trolling. Although this isn't my favorite weather, it isn't that bad.

If people actually complained about this stuff the way you and MossMan do about the rain there would be another five pages added to the forum today. :lol:

True.   :lol:

But this year had some impressive warmth in January and March as well.   

It has been coming back with some regularity.    I feel pretty good about summer.   And that does NOT mean I think a hot summer is in the cards.   I don't think that at all.

Probably a variable one. 2008 certainly wasn't terrible.

Side note... the recurrence of warm weather since January has me encouraged for the summer.

Years like 2010 and 2011 did not have that at all.

Tell that to January 2017. Also, a good portion of January 2011 was ridgy out there, IIRC.

Tim is high on southern sunshine and in full troll mode!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I suspect we'll continue to see little fluctuations for awhile, but lean towards drier and warmer.

Climo and the models would dictate as such.

Maybe we can get a turn around by late next month just in time for Rose Festival Low season!

Yeah, I thought about doing some research earlier to see how often it had happened.

Then I realized you only had to go back to 2016 for four straight 80s in April. That might have been the most impressive April heatwave on record for PDX, though.

Looks like 1998 was the only other candidate until 2016.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

And to think you were worried it wasn't going to reach 84! Is 86 a record for your location?

As far as I know yes, first temp record we have broken in a while I think.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1926 had this stretch downtown:

4/24: 81

4/25: 83

4/26: 84

4/27: 93

4/28: 91

4/29: Deadly marine push

That was also the warmest April in Portland history (looking at both the airport and downtown) with an average temp of 60.2, which is 8 degrees above the modern average and was probably even more of an anomaly back then.

Made 2016’s 56.9 downtown / 57.8 at PDX look a little pedestrian.

Does Monmouth keep official records?

I don't think so. There are 3 good stations in town that I use for current conditions but I just use Salem for history as it's usually pretty similar to us.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

New blog post from Mark regarding the final day of our record breaking heat wave.

"It sure felt like July today! Here in Portland we started in the 50s and ended well into the 80s; a typical mid-summer day. Except that it’s the 25th of April. The result was several more record high temperatures, mainly in the metro area:

record-highs-cities1.png?w=1168

And we did that with extremely weak offshore flow. Even in the Gorge the wind died down to a slight breeze plus downslope wind off the Cascades disappeared. So it’s quite impressive from a meteorological standpoint we were able to make it into the mid 80s. Models absolutely nailed the atmosphere overhead. 850mb temps at Salem were 16.6 degrees on this afternoon’s balloon sounding.

WHAT HAPPENS THURSDAY?

A very interesting setup with the thermal trough (warmest air) sitting from about Kelso to just east of Salem and Eugene. That means west of that line onshore flow kicks in during the afternoon = cooler. But from Kelso/Longview to the Portland metro area we get a light easterly flow once again as high pressure briefly strengthens east of the Cascades. Result? All models are adding 2-4 degrees to our highs tomorrow. 85-86 is likely throughout the Portland metro area. You can see the bubble of warmer temperatures from Portland north on the GFS and the cooler temps to our south. This is the 5pm Thursday forecast:"

gfs_t2m_b_portland_5.png

https://fox12weather.wordpress.com/2018/04/25/another-record-breaker-slightly-warmer-tomorrow/

IMO it's all going to depend on if clouds arrive before peak heating tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow the hottest 850mb temperatures yet of this heat wave is suppose to arrive tomorrow afternoon. If clouds can hold off until after 5pm then I think PDX has a chance of tying the all time record high of April which is 90. Everything has to go right but it's possible with the 850mb temps we will be getting.

Hopefully that marine push moves in earlier than forecast tomorrow.

MOS has PDX only hitting 81. Maybe it will be right for once.

That is where we differ...I’m hoping it gets delayed... until October!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

00Z ECMWF was nice... scaled back precip somewhat for the weekend and the ridge looks more stable and broad later next week.

I find it encouraging that ridging pops back up already next week given the significance of this current warm spell.    

00Z ECMWF was nice... scaled back precip somewhat for the weekend and the ridge looks more stable and broad later next week.

I find it encouraging that ridging pops back up already next week given the significance of this current warm spell.

Hopefully this will be the general theme throughout May...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."