PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

7 minutes ago, Weiner Warrior said:

That moisture up north is heading south for seattle and foothills. Looks nasty

SmartSelect_20230213_183849_Samsung Internet.jpg

Radar is fascinating this evening... that northerly c-zone appears to be passing energy off into a new c-zone over the I-90 corridor.    Very active night.    

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Radar is fascinating this evening... that northerly c-zone appears to be passing energy off into a new c-zone over the I-90 corridor.    Very active night.    

Very rare to have a c zone developed over my area but it is beginning. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Very rare to have a c zone developed over my area but it is beginning. 

Yeah... can't remember seeing a c-zone form that dramatically to the west.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I will predict 6-10 for you tonight. 

Not sure... ECMWF has been insisting most of the c-zone action for King County is done by 10 p.m.   

It also showed copious moisture in King County and the central Cascades up through 10 p.m. so don't think there is more moisture than shown.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_12hr_inch-6354400.png

• Like 1

45/38 day here so far. The high was at 2am. Afternoon high of 44 with some chunky showers at times and a couple scattered sunbreaks.

Down to 38 now with a DP of 30 and WNW winds. Nice to see the DP already below freezing. Excited about the potential for later tonight.

• Like 6

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Really nice looking C-Zone
image.png.3b1f0b4d032edde4f79f91861d5958dd.png

I mentioned a few days ago that the ECMWF was showing a double c-zone and likely convection this evening.   It has been showing this event tonight for about a week now. 

• Like 3

Pretty dynamic system-- fair to say there may be a surprise or two as it comes in.

• Like 5

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Drove up to Marysville and it was dumping huge flakes at sea level but not sticking. I’m right along the Southern edge of the CZ right now near Paine Field with light wet snow.

• Like 5

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

3 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

That was close! And very long thunder. Where are you at ?

Nice!   Haven't heard any thunder here so far. 

Main convection seems to be closer to the Sound.    Precip is much lighter now to the north of the convective yellow band.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Pretty dynamic system-- fair to say there may be a surprise or two as it comes in.

I’ve been watching that little comma develop offshore to the NW all day on IR satellite. 24 hours ago it was just south of the Aleutians, now it’s almost to Vancouver Island as of the most recent frame.

https://a.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?sat_500+9

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Stations pretty uniformly in the 32-34 range-- whatever does fall at this point in my area at least will likely be snow. Just about getting the moisture there at this point.

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"