October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Was down at my old stomping grounds today (daughters school function was held next door to my old place) when we left our house it was sunny and warming up, but down at my old place it was cloudy and chilly...weak convergence?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This WSU vs Oregon St game is ridiculous.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Looks like it's been wet up in the PNW, is going to be wet the next few days, and getting wetter soon thereafter. Glad I'm in Arizona now! ☀

It's going to start raining more?? Is that climo??

Just a few weeks away from our Palm Desert and Newport Beach trip.  We got the warm weather trips really spaced well through March. And a week at Whistler between Christmas and New Years.  :)

But I am still jealous of spending winter in AZ.   I bet we will end up doing something like that at some point in the future for at least 3 months of the year.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It's going to start raining more?? Is that climo??

Just a few weeks away from our Palm Desert and Newport Beach trip.  We got the warm weather trips really spaced well through March. And a week at Whistler between Christmas and New Years.  :)

But I am still jealous of spending winter in AZ.   I bet we will end up doing something like that at some point in the future for at least 3 months of the year.

About to get the best kind of rain, the extended warm front that runs over a ridge. Looks like it's pulled in a good chunk of Walaka. Strange looking rain shadow in this pattern:

wa_pcp72.72.0000.gif

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimic-tpw/epac/anim/latest72hrs.gif

Ended up with a little over 1" from this system or just a bit less than my total September rainfall. Things should really start greening up the next week or two... Then go dormant. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Spring is almost here!

Well... spring generally runs from early January through early July around here    So its either just finished up or is about to start since it takes up half the year.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Took my wife to the airport this morning... got to visit the desert wasteland that is SEA!

Caught a little bit of the sunrise on the way back.

20181007_080552.jpg

Dumping rain at your place probably. Pounding on the roof.

No... totally dry here.  

This pattern rarely produces heavy rain anyways... normally just steady light rain.   But the first batch of precip seems to be sliding south along the coast and missing us so far.

No... totally dry here.

This pattern rarely produces heavy rain anyways... normally just steady light rain. But the first batch of precip seems to be sliding south along the coast and missing us so far.

Raining lightly up here as most Canadians begin preparing their turkey for tonight’s feast. 0.1” here so far.
  • Like 1

Looks like the 12Z GFS and 12Z ICON are on board for dry weather starting by late Tuesday and a really nice weekend.

The deep trough and rain for the first half of the week has really been watered down (no pun intended).  

Still dry here but looking at the radar that is about to change. Went out and blew leaves a bit ago to beat the rain...I’m sure my still sleeping wife at the time loved that...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Raining lightly up here as most Canadians begin preparing their turkey for tonight’s feast. 0.1” here so far.

You have the big dinner on the day before Thanksgiving?   

Looks like the 12Z GFS and 12Z ICON are on board for dry weather starting by late Tuesday and a really nice weekend.

The deep trough and rain for the first half of the week has really been watered down (no pun intended).

Thank goodness! My grass is growing like crazy still but haven’t had a chance to mow in over a week now.

Still dry here but looking at the radar that is about to change. Went out and blew leaves a bit ago to beat the rain...I’m sure my still sleeping wife at the time loved that...

Most of the rain appears to be heading south... might not be that wet today for us.     Although warm fronts give the models all kinds of trouble.  

Thank goodness! My grass is growing like crazy still but haven’t had a chance to mow in over a week now.

If the models are right... next weekend will be spectacular.    Sunny and in the low 70s.  

We do. I think that’s pretty common.

Probably because people don't want to do it on Monday night because they have to work the next day.

The US turned the Friday after Thanksgiving into a holiday to solve that problem!

Soaking in the last little bit of fallishness the next few days before endless ridging rears its ugly head again.

Low of 42 this morning with light rain and drizzle moving in now. Could see another high in the low to mid 50s today.

• Like 1

Soaking in the last little bit of fallishness the next few days before endless ridging rears its ugly head again.

Low of 42 this morning with light rain and drizzle moving in now. Could see another high in the low to mid 50s today.

Troll.

I am sure you will be soaking in the beautiful weather and fall colors next weekend too.

Troll.

I am sure you will be soaking in the beautiful weather and fall colors next weekend too.

Tone it down with the personal attacks, Tim. 

I am being sincere. I would have much preferred the cool, dry weather hinted at by some of the runs last week. We have had more than our fair share of a big, fat ridge sitting on top of us this year. I would literally be happier with any other type of 500mb pattern at this point.

• Like 1

If we double-dip niño that will probly mean Corvallis and a good chunk of the west central and south valley will go 4 years without an accumulating snowfall. By far the longest in my lifetime.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Hoping Quartzsite can score some decent arctic airmasses this winter though.

Arctic outbreaks are fun, but Montana and Idaho are too cold, so I decided since I'm in a travel trailer, it would be better to be dry and warm than to wade through endless rainy days in hopes of an unlikely decent arctic event showing up...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."