January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Night shift gon be a party tonight!

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We waited ALL Winter for this. Soak it in. Enjoy it. C'MON!!! Cold and SNOW!!!!

All the hard work. All those late nights. All those sleepless nights. All those detailed model analysis. All those maps. This is what it's all about. As much as it's about the final destination, it's also about the journey. There's been ups and downs but we are still standing. We all deserve to get a big snowstorm and hopefully that will happen. Let's go Cold and Snow! ❄⛄

• Like 1

Yeah, the attempted associations to climate change by some sources are annoying.

But honestly, I've seen several news articles referencing the "split" in the polar vortex (like this one), which may not be Phil-tastic enough from a scientific perspective, but is basically accurate.

Seems like less hype than winter 2013-14, when the media first started using the term. So I'll give them some credit this time around.

Been a lot of social media warriors trying to dispel myths that this cold wave attacks climate change alarmists at the core. They’re running with the fact this cold is the result of “warming.” Idiots vs. idiots. I think the idiots will take it.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Been a lot of social media warriors trying to dispel myths that this cold wave attacks climate change alarmists at the core. They’re running with the fact this cold is the result of “warming.” Idiots vs. idiots. I think the idiots will take it.

Sudden Catastrophic Warming.

A forum for the end of the world.

So close to a backdoor blast in the clown range.

So much more to focus on in the near term... as opposed to the long range 18Z GFS.

The EPS shows it will stay cold all the way through the first half of February so I would worry too much about the clown range.   Its very likely that it will trend colder and the time approaches... much like what is happening now with the first round.    

The EPS has been a consistent backdrop of cold and its proving to be correct.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We've waited so long to get outside the clown range, it's really nice to finally get to focus on something that might be close to imminent.  Way too much CR, not enough "within 4 days".

Yeah it is really nice to not have to look wishfully at a 300+ hr map. Honestly we haven't even had much eye candy in the clown range this winter until more recently. 

Yeah when looking at history the best snow events for Puget Sound region going into a Arctic Intrusion scenario always have a double barrel low. The best one I can ever remember was from elementary school. They had to close early and it took a couple hours to get home via bus for just a 3.5 mile ride. It was 85 or so. I can't remember the year exactly nor the month... But all I can vouch for is the roads were compact snow and ice and even the manhole covers accumulated snow which means it had to be at least 7 degrees below freezing. It lasted for at least a week cold... So that maybe a clue to help nail down which event it was from the 80's. There was snow up in the Mukilteo Everett area that started way ahead of schedule due to the notorious convergence zone.

FV3 now showing a secondary, 992 mb low developing off of Central Vancouver Island late sunday morning. Interesting.

I hope this doesn’t become a Seattle (or Portland/Valley) only event, I’d like a little storm for the whole area for once. Though the trends do seem to favor more northerly areas thus far.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

The 18z FV3 is showing the possibility of a second round of snow Thursday night into Friday morning.

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_35.png

12Z ECMWF showed almost the exact same set up.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My wife wanted to know if this will be a situation where its raining just below us and snowing here all week.

I told her there will be no rain after Saturday... and it will either be snowing or dry and will probably be beautiful wintry postcard scene type of week here.   

That made her feel better.   She does not like when we are buried in snow and its raining everywhere else because nobody has sympathy for her being late.   But if there is even an inch of snow in Bellevue then everyone panics and is late for work or they don't show up at all.      :)

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Quite a few GFS ensemble members are showing a healthy dose of snow at the end of next week. Included KPDX as well.

PD2WnZP.jpg

e-12 has been known to be the most accurate, so I'm going with that one.

But this event in general seems more favorable for Seattle for sure.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Kind of funny that the operational GFS is now colder than the FV-3 for early next week. Mid-range ensembles trended cooler and looks like about half the members want to develop troughing again around mid-month after a brief warm up. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The 18z FV3 is showing the possibility of a second round of snow Thursday night into Friday morning.

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_34.png

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_35.png

It's almost impossible to predict snowfall or amounts within a day.  I cant count the number of times it didn't materialize until it materialized.  Trying to figure out if it's gonna snow next week is fun if your tracking the % of how these near clown range snow forecasts turn out.  Your odds of this forecast coming true is probably less than 1%.  Yea, it might happen.  Even a blind squirrrel finds a nut once in a while.  I wouldn't put much energy into it coming to fruition.