PNW April 2023 Weather Discussion

Cascadia_Wx

15 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

I guess it depends on how you think about the wildfires. Statewide, the number of acres burned last year in Washington was significantly less than the long term average and was the smallest since 2012 (article is as of October 6th, but despite the fires lasting a couple weeks longer not too many more acres were burned). However, as you noted, the wildfires that were west of the Cascades were larger and more smoky than previous years. I think in recent years we've had lots of Eastern WA brush fires pad the total acres burned number and last year there was more activity on the west side.

This all feels a little pedantic. I guess a statement like the wildfires weren’t actually that bad last year is pretty open to interpretation, to be fair. But I would wager it’s been close to 100 years since there have been that many large fires burning in the west slopes of the Cascades between the Snoqualmie and Fraser Rivers. 

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Anybody know of any places in Eugene/Springfield to have catfish to eat?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

30 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

I guess it depends on how you think about the wildfires. Statewide, the number of acres burned last year in Washington was significantly less than the long term average and was the smallest since 2012 (article is as of October 6th, but despite the fires lasting a couple weeks longer not too many more acres were burned). However, as you noted, the wildfires that were west of the Cascades were larger and more smoky than previous years. I think in recent years we've had lots of Eastern WA brush fires pad the total acres burned number and last year there was more activity on the west side.

The fires being on the westside is an important distinction. Historically really big westside fires are not very frequent occurrences. The historical climate isn’t dry enough for them to be  a regular thing like on the eastside. Hence the concern over reduced marine layer frequency.

• Like 3
  • scream 1

37 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

Yeah I’m really hoping we don’t repeat that this summer. I honestly don’t really care how much summer torches as long as there is no wildfire smoke. As long as it’s not a straight blowtorch of a summer.

Hopefully with our deep snow pack and record rainfall, California won't contribute any smoke to the west coast this summer. Small local fires with a day or two of bad air used to be normal. Not these month long mega fires ruining the majority of summer. 

We tend to do better in El Nino years with monsoon moisture as well in the summer months. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

This all feels a little pedantic. I guess a statement like the wildfires weren’t actually that bad last year is pretty open to interpretation, to be fair. But I would wager it’s been close to 100 years since there have been that many large fires burning in the west slopes of the Cascades between the Snoqualmie and Fraser Rivers. 

That's true and I should have been more specific instead of the generic "bad." You're right in that it was probably by far the worst fire season on the west side North Cascades, mostly because fires are so infrequent up here that even relatively small ones are significant.

• Like 4

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

9 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Fern Ridge Reservoir?

Out of curiosity I looked. Found a couple good looking southern places down there like Black Wolf Supper Club, but they don’t serve Catfish. One decent place in Portland we know of is the Screen Door Cafe. They definitely have it there.

• Like 1

It’s chilly and rainy out this morning but you can definitely smell in the air that the plants are coming to life now. Lots of birds singing at times too. I think there are some birds trying to make a nest under our eaves, and our cat is going nuts at the nearby window.

• Rain 1

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

It’s chilly and rainy out this morning but you can definitely smell in the air that the plants are coming to life now. Lots of birds singing at times too. I think there are some birds trying to make a nest under our eaves, and our cat is going nuts at the nearby window.

47 here…glad we’re finally making up for some of what we missed out on this winter. I did enjoy it overall but it really lacked some gloomy soaking rainfall days like today. 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Really damp morning. Haven’t checked the gauge yet, but it’s been coming down. Currently 42 after a high of 45 earlier this morning. Feels and looks like winter. 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, The Cats Meow said:

Got the peas planted in a nice soaking rain.  So many blessings coming from the sky to soak them in good.

Pray the seeds don't rot.

So many blessings in the ten day forecast.  The illusive ridge at day 7-10 keeps disappearing.

We are so blessed.

Go away Puyallup Jon.

• Sick 1

The Euro 10:1 snowfall maps along the WA/OR coast look suspiciously like the maps from (insert winter month here). Time for Aberdeen to actually pick up 7" of snow?

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • Snow 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Clouds from the frontal system are finally breaking up to let in daytime heating, and possible thunderstorms later. We actually have decent shear and decent cape. Good hail sounding and possible funnel cloud sounding. This is for 21z today

Screenshot 2023-04-16 12.30.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-16 12.31.49 PM.png

• Like 3

Weather! Atmospheric conditions

Awesome loop conveying synergy between the ERW and MJO/CCKW propagating thru the Indo-WPAC.

Puts what I mentioned yesterday into visual perspective.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Cats Meow said:

Do you like fresh peas?  Strawberries?

They need lots of rain to grow big and strong.

At some point they will need some sun too.

It's coming.

We have reached the middle of April without reaching 60 and with nothing in sight.    I am going to get on a plane and find sun and warmth for a week and when I come back I hope there is at least one 60-degree day in view.    Get to work on that.   60 degrees has happened every April for last 140 years... should not be too hard.   😀

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

We have reached the middle of April without reaching 60 and with nothing in sight.    I am going to get on a plane and find sun and warmth for a week and when I come back I hope there is at least one 60-degree day in view.    Get to work on that.   60 degrees has happened every April for last 140 years... should not be too hard.   😀

It's going to happen.  I'll hold down the fort while you are gone.  All these blessings we've been having the last few months are a bit overwhelming though.  It's no wonder so many people in this area commit suicide.  It gets pretty depressing.

Travel safe, enjoy the sun wherever you land and dream happy thoughts of a return to sunny and warm 60 degree days.

My strawberries, peas and grass seed depend on it.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Cats Meow said:

All these blessings we've been having the last few months are a bit overwhelming though.  It's no wonder so many people in this area commit suicide.  It gets pretty depressing.

Lmaoo. Barely halfway through spring and we’re already talking about suicide? For crying out loud.

We made it to at least early May last year before the S-word started getting tossed around.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Cats Meow said:

It's going to happen.  I'll hold down the fort while you are gone.  All these blessings we've been having the last few months are a bit overwhelming though.  It's no wonder so many people in this area commit suicide.  It gets pretty depressing.

Travel safe, enjoy the sun wherever you land and dream happy thoughts of a return to sunny and warm 60 degree days.

My strawberries, peas and grass seed depend on it.

Too bad the report post function doesn’t work anymore. This seems pretty uncalled for.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

This Euro run looks way different at day ten than the last run. Last night’s had a system dropping down from the NW with the ULL well offshore. This one has the ULL closer to the coast and pumping up some shortwave ridging ahead of it. Lots of run to run variability right now.

• Popcorn 1

24 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Climate change is making it harder.

• Shivering 1

17 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I would wonder about damage from the weight of all that snow.

I was thinking about that too, especially seeing that Subie who's frame is most likely sitting on the ground based on how much that suspension is compressed. 

9 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Too bad the report post function doesn’t work anymore. This seems pretty uncalled for.

Everyone is always offended by something.  You take the cake.

The statistics are real and Oregon is actually in the top 10 for states.

In wet, dark and dreary places peoples mental health can suffer.  Those are just facts.

We all want some sun right about now except you.  Facts again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Cats Meow said:

Everyone is always offended by something.  You take the cake.

The statistics are real and Oregon is actually in the top 10 for states.

In wet, dark and dreary places peoples mental health can suffer.  Those are just facts.

We all want some sun right about now except you.  Facts again.

Seems there's a few others who want it below 60 and rainy 24-7-365 here (or at least would not be bothered by it)

• Troll 1

14 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Been watching rain turn to snow on traffic cams around southern MN this evening where it was 90 degrees a couple days ago.  

LOL yeah I was talking to my sales guy on Monday and he was excited it was in the 80's.  He said "at this rate, the snow should be gone by the end of the week.  80's with snow on the ground....probably not THAT big of a deal for that part of the country but it sure made  my head explode.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ML Loather said:

Seems there's others who want it rainy 24-7-365 here.

The cool thing about the PNW is we all usually get a good dose of what we want at some point.

Right now the rain and cold weather lovers are getting fed.

I like a good thunderstorm and am hoping at some point later this spring or summer we get one or two.  Something with lots of light and booms.

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • Downvote 1

Has anyone been following the Russian volcano that puffed?  Shiveluch burped and a lot of the ash is getting wrapped up in the low south of Alaska.

I guess Alaska airlines has canceled some flights and some of the ash has even made it into BC and Washington State.

I guess the cloud is made up of sulfur dioxide gas.

• Sick 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Cats Meow said:

Has anyone been following the Russian volcano that puffed?  Shiveluch burped and a lot of the ash is getting wrapped up in the low south of Alaska.

I guess Alaska airlines has canceled some flights and some of the ash has even made it into BC and Washington State.

I guess the cloud is made up of sulfur dioxide gas.

I am sure how to track it in real time... but on Thursday it was over AK and then on Friday it was in NE WA and then someone posted yesterday about it being over the intermountain west.   So I think it has mostly passed through now.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**