Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Wow, Tim can turn a romantic night with the wife into doldrums on here just like that. Must not have been a good date night....

It was great!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Also worth noting that the EPS continues to weaken the anomaly signals later in the run like previous runs. In 2 weeks... it shows the cold more spread out and the block weakening. That is something it did not really do in February. It locked in and never changed. There is some variability already showing up this time.

20200104-234741.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Jan 1969 is an interesting case study when looking at 500mb patterns and what the resultant lowland weather is.  The 10th through 19th had a pattern that brought wet snow like what the ECMWF is showing in the 8 to 10 day period, and the 20th through 30th had very cold weather and lots of dry snow.  The maps below are from those two periods and clearly show how different the 500mb pattern were.  To me the day 9 and 10 ECMWF look much more like the cold map than the milder one.

post-222-0-30996300-1578210379_thumb.gif

post-222-0-83996200-1578210400_thumb.gif

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

gfs.PNG

GFS shows freezing temperatures extending well offshore in BC and Southeast Alaska with all of that frigid air spilling out over the ocean. I can see freezing spray becoming an issue along the Inside Passage shipping routes and even in Puget Sound with the colder GFS solutions. Something to watch for especially after the sinking of the crab boat in AK last week.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifgfs.PNG

GFS shows freezing temperatures extending well offshore in BC and Southeast Alaska with all of that frigid air spilling out over the ocean. I can see freezing spray becoming an issue along the Inside Passage shipping routes and even in Puget Sound with the colder GFS solutions. Something to watch for especially after the sinking of the crab boat in AK last week.

Looks like a picked a bad week to go parasailing.. :mellow:  :(  :(

• Like 1

Consistency?

Sort of... it can consistently show the pattern changing or evolving.    That still counts as consistency.

The coldest period on the EPS is around 1/13-17.    Now that even farther out is coming into view... it has been showing moderation after the 17th.   We will see if it holds.

EPS clearly shows an eastward shift at the 500mb level later in the run... this might not end up being like last February in terms of duration.   Although I do remember a couple false warm-ups on the EPS last February now that I think about it more.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500-anom-94784

Definitely a good idea to iron out the end of a pattern that’s still over a week away.

Definitely!

It does feel like the GFS has suddenly become the wildly inconsistent one... and the EPS is back to being a more steady guide.   But who knows at this point.   The 00Z GFS was complete insanity.    The EPS looks like its previous runs.

EPS clearly shows an eastward shift at the 500mb level later in the run... this might not end up being like last February in terms of duration.   Although I do remember a couple false warm-ups on the EPS last February now that I think about it more.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500-anom-94784

That doesn't matter. Its 300+ hours away. Resolution decreases once you get to the 300+ hour window so I wouldn't buy into what its showing at 360 hours haha.

Jan 1969 is an interesting case study when looking at 500mb patterns and what the resultant lowland weather is. The 10th through 19th had a pattern that brought wet snow like what the ECMWF is showing in the 8 to 10 day period, and the 20th through 30th had very cold weather and lots of dry snow. The maps below are from those two periods and clearly show how different the 500mb pattern were. To me the day 9 and 10 ECMWF look much more like the cold map than the milder one.

Fun fact. Shawnigan lake had 14 consecutive day’s and 21 of the last 24 days see measurable snowfall in January 69
  • Like 2

That doesn't matter. Its 300+ hours away. Resolution decreases once you get to the 300+ hour window so I wouldn't buy into what its showing at 360 hours haha.

Not always... it locked in on the cold period coming up as soon as it came into view at 15 days out and has not really wavered much in terms of strength or configuration.     It just "pulsates" as Dewey mentioned.   :unsure:  

Also worth noting that the EPS continues to weaken the anomaly signals later in the run like previous runs. In 2 weeks... it shows the cold more spread out and the block weakening. That is something it did not really do in February. It locked in and never changed. There is some variability already showing up this time.

20200104-234741.jpg

You’ve been a d*ckwad lately.

• Like 1

Fun fact. Shawnigan lake had 14 consecutive day’s and 21 of the last 24 days see measurable snowfall in January 69

EUG had 3 ft in a 72 hr period from the 25-28.  Would have put this Feb's event to shame.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Too early to be declaring any winners but the GFS has clearly been in the lead with its excellent consistency and the prediction of the increasing heights over Alaska. The Euro is entirely on board now at least at the 500mb level. The surface level stuff isn't impressive on the euro, but I think that will eventually come around. Cold air is up there and the 500mb pattern is approaching textbook stuff for cold and snow here. That cold air doesn't have anywhere else it can really go. 

The GFS is going way overboard with all the low level cold and snow but I feel pretty good for prolonged chances for significant lowland cold/snow. I'm just not expecting widespread 12-24 inches of snow from Bellingham to Redding like the 00z GFS.

• Like 4

Too early to be declaring any winners but the GFS has clearly been in the lead with its excellent consistency and the prediction of the increasing heights over Alaska. The Euro is entirely on board now at least at the 500mb level. The surface level stuff isn't impressive on the euro, but I think that will eventually come around. Cold air is up there and the 500mb pattern is approaching textbook stuff for cold and snow here. That cold air doesn't have anywhere else it can really go. 

The GFS is going way overboard with all the low level cold and snow but I feel pretty good for prolonged chances for significant lowland cold/snow. I'm just not expecting widespread 12-24 inches of snow from Bellingham to Redding like the 00z GFS.

Most people on here are going to see accumulating snow in the next couple weeks at some point.    Its almost guaranteed given the pattern.   

And not to overstate things, but the models intensifying an offshore winds scenario is a good trend for PDX-south.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

The 500mb pattern on the EURO improved dramatically and did so at Day 6-7. Should we continue this for two more days that moves timing up to Day 5 where the block is ready to deliver arctic air by Day 7. With 500mb heights increasing to 550dm over Anchorage that is a great indicator of an arctic pattern. Let's just keep this going.

6z GFS in 1 hours 2 minutes

• Like 4

The 500mb pattern on the EURO improved dramatically and did so at Day 6-7. Should we continue this for two more days that moves timing up to Day 5 where the block is ready to deliver arctic air by Day 7. With 500mb heights increasing to 550dm over Anchorage that is a great indicator of an arctic pattern. Let's just keep this going.

6z GFS in 1 hours 2 minutes

Night shift?

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Night shift?

Can I join in today? I've got some AP stuff I have to finish anyways so I'll be up for a while....

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Can I join in today? I've got some AP stuff I have to finish anyways so I'll be up for a while....

No invitation necessary!

Night shift?

Yeah. Here lately with my knee I have to take an Oxy to have any hope of sleeping and then I'm in bed knocked out most the day then it wears off and not able to get out of bed until late afternoon, so I'm up a lot now 1-3 AM. I don't want to be necessarily, but can't control that. C'MON!!!!

• Like 3

Yeah. Here lately with my knee I have to take an Oxy to have any hope of sleeping and then I'm in bed knocked out most the day then it wears off and not able to get out of bed until late afternoon, so I'm up a lot now 1-3 AM. I don't want to be necessarily, but can't control that. C'MON!!!!

Dude. What is wrong with your knee. Sounds like it’s ruining your life. Can you get a replacement?
  • Like 1

Hope it keeps healing well! My brain surgery went smooth but my head still hurts sometimes so I'm thinking good thoughts for you.

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Dude. What is wrong with your knee. Sounds like it’s ruining your life. Can you get a replacement?

My mom recently had total knee replacement couple weeks ago and in the process of recovering. Even so, it seems like she is so much better than before. It’s probably worth it.

• Like 1

My mom recently had total knee replacement couple weeks ago and in the process of recovering. Even so, it seems like she is so much better than before. It’s probably worth it.

My mom went through that same thing 4 years ago and she is doing great. So much better now.

I wish Google maps had a county lines layer.

I totally agree! At least add an option to enable it.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021