Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

If someone said the plow left a ridge of snow in front of the driveway or a bank of snow in front of the driveway I wouldn’t take a second thought. They are the same thing

I just find it interesting... I have never heard plow ridges.   I thought maybe that was the standard term up there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

They are called berms.

snow berm - A ridge of snow graded up by a plow. From thefreedictionary.com

I get them at least 20 times per season. Sometimes as high or higher than my waist. Very compact, icy snow that my snow blower can't move when that big. Have to dig with a shovel.

You mean the snow banks on the side of our road last week?

20200116-111914.jpg

They were literally 6 feet tall on our road last February.   We had a single car width tunnel... cars could only move in one direction.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You mean the snow banks on the side of our road last week?20200116-111914.jpg

They were literally 6 feet tall on our road last February.   We had a single car width tunnel... cars could only move in one direction.

What happened when cars came at the same time from opposite directions?
  • Like 1

What happened when cars came at the same time from opposite directions?

HOA put up signs... had to enter on one side and exit on the other.   Luckily there are exits at both ends.    It stayed like that for a month.

Yes. A big topic in mountain towns. It can be real trouble if you are gone a week or more and you return to a berm that is taller than you are. Can't get the car in the driveway and it is a real challenge to climb over it to your garage to get a shovel, and in the meantime you have no place to park your car. It happened to me, and it took a while just to clear the berm and then O could get the snow blower going.

Residents complain, but cities won't clear the berms unless the resident is elderly or disabled. Or you have to have a private contractor do it. We have quite a few businesses that will clear your driveways for you. Someday when I am older I will need that.

20200116-111914.jpg

So there was some sort of green or red light telling you it was clear?

No... it became a one-way road.    You did not have to worry about meeting someone because everyone had to go in the same direction.

Significant changes in the entire ECMWF suite of models tonight.  They all indicate stronger positive height anoms over the GOA and above normal heights extending further north next weekend than previous runs.  We'll have to see what the exact implications of this might be.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's beginning to look like the chances are pretty decent this will be our 4th consecutive Feb to have some legit winter weather.  That would be a pretty nice achievement.  It will be interesting to see if the Puget Sound lowlands can pull off their 4th straighht Feb to have a monthly average below 40.  That hasn't happened in about 100 years.

You ​are really stretching to even say that and keep a straight face... I am not sure what you are seeing to say that... ??

Lol! Like that will verify <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:"> ... snow maps have been crap this far out.

Negative Nancy.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Up here when the snow gets deep and the roads narrow it’s pretty much up to you to get out of the way of the plow. In really big snow years they will eventually send out a grader or even a bulldozer (1996) to widen things out to 2 lanes.

The National Guard used dump trucks to haul snow out of some neighborhoods in North Bend last February.    It was unmanageable with regular plows.   That created some mountains of snow that were probably 30-feet high in empty lots around town.

The National Guard used dump trucks to haul snow out of some neighborhoods in North Bend last February. It was unmanageable with regular plows. That created some mountains of snow that were probably 30-feet high in empty lots around town.

Wow...that’s incredible— I can’t imagine seeing anything over a foot of snow let alone drifts that high.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Amazing how different, and horrible the 00z EURO was.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

20200116-111914.jpg

What is the name of this town/place?

Amazing how different, and horrible the 00z EURO was.

Horrible in what regard?

It actually shows more mountain snow... and you know its going to dry out for awhile eventually.  

SEA is now at +2.0 for the month for average temperature... and just about to 6 inches of rain.

OLM is at +2.2 and approaching one foot of rain... which is over more than 5 inches above normal.   

Hoquiam is at +1.3 and now over 14 inches of rain for January... which is almost 6 inches above normal.

One more impressive stat... KUIL is at 21.08 inches for the month of January (so far with much more to come) which is a +9.50 departure.

And that station is at 55.27 inches since October 1st... which is a +4.69 departure.

SEA is now at +2.0 for the month and just about to 6 inches of rain.

OLM is at +2.2 and approaching one foot of rain... which is over more than 5 inches above normal.

Hoquiam is at +1.3 and now over 14 inches of rain for January... which is almost 6 inches above normal.

Jared has run out of drought maps, that is why he has retired from the forum.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Canada is interesting... we are so close but there are distinct differences.   I have never heard that term in my life and I grew up in Minnesota.    Do they call them snow banks there?

The people over in chesaw call them snow banks also. I'd never heard that either.
  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Since the snow is gone for the SuperBowl...Guess we will just have to watch the SuperBowl.

.07” so far today, 7.51” for the month.

43 degrees and cloudy.