Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

The biggest takeaway is now there is a low Monday night-Tuesday popping up on the GFS, WRF, ECMWF, (GEM?) and all models tonight from their previous runs shifted the low south for Wednesday-Thursday.

sn10_acc.us_city_pdx.png

Yes, this is potentially very big news for next week.

• Like 2

Pushing 50 by Saturday... maybe warmer Sunday.

Debating whether to post the maps. Certain weather data seems to be a really sensitive issue for some.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If that is the real case, post the maps without extra comments. Also, you have zero proof I was talking about you on my post so...

Drop it.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Yes, this is potentially very big news for next week.

Looks like 3-6 inches around the metro area is possible from the late-week low, not taking into account the possible snow from this new Tuesday system. May be fun, we'll see :D

Bit excited now.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

If that is the real case, post the maps without extra comments. Also, you have zero proof I was talking about you on my post so...

No way dude.   That is what we all enjoy doing.   Analyzing weather maps is what we do.   

Although I did post the temp maps that Randy specifically requested with no comment at all.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Glad things are actually going in the right direction at the home stretch. Yesterday some of y'all were saying it'd be impossible to get better and it'd only get worse :)

Things are coming more slightly into focus but there is still a lot of uncertainty with track of the low. This is is obviously being heavily influenced by the PV in BC. At 3 days out, it there are still a lot of fluctuations with the PV and how much cold air is pouring south. At the 500mb level, tonight’s run look different than last night’s at the same hour. This kind of fluctuations with the PV alters the track of the low.

It looks colder on this run and my guess is it will continue to do so. We’ll see.

I am going to continue to look at model runs as they are released the various providers.

And I’m going to kill Tim.

Not necessarily in that order.

Everyone here is such a meanie to him. And to add insult to injury he does NOTHING to deserve it. :(

The NWS should put together a short video on how they analyze a situation like this. It could be short compiled clips over a 5-6 day period. It would be very interesting cause I feel like half the time they are the opposite of what a lot of folks on this forum are saying.

• Like 2

Everyone here is such a meanie to him. And to add insult to injury he does NOTHING to deserve it. :(

OMG. Do you have anything else you think about? You are obsessed.

My goal is not to troll on here. It's hopefully to contribute in a meaningful way and debate weather and weather related topics. No to trash people for their preferences... or be rude and insulting. That is a waste of time.

I do troll sometimes. We all do. Let it go. It's not that a big of a deal. It's a weather forum.

If only that PV lobe could nose more to the southwest the next 3-4 runs.. It is obscenely cold right near the Canadian border. C'MON!!!!

This may be a last minute turnabout to some of the earlier resolutions. I have no evidence of this, but it’s been done before.

• Like 4

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_16.png

NAVGEM--- not a great model but FWIW ig

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to continue to look at model runs as they are released the various providers.

And I’m going to kill Tim.

Not necessarily in that order.

You should also ask his wife to make you a sandwich. At some point. Not in that order perhaps. Oh, and throw his fake tree in the garbage. #REALtrees4LIFE

SNOW!

6z NAM in 41 minutes

6z GFS in 2 hours 33 minutes

• Like 1

I noticed the birds really started devouring the bird seed yesterday...They know it’s coming!

Just hit 34.9 degrees.

.73” on the day.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This may be a last minute turnabout to some of the earlier resolutions. I have no evidence of this, but it’s been done before.

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn’t be the first time in the last year that we’ve seen things back off in the mid range only to trend a little better in the home stretch.

• Like 3

Almost half inch of rain today bumps me up past 3" on the month. Wetter than November and moving me in the direction of December (which had 4"). Currently 38F.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

I believe almost every day on the 00Z ECMWF is warmer at the 850mb level than the 00Z run last night that set off the mass depression on here.

The models are not turning colder. It's just people expectations have changed.

Whoa, are you an admin?

Your criticism was absurd.

This forum would be terrible if it was just model maps without people's analysis/interpretation.

Silly to keep talking about it though. It's gonna snow!

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Quite interesting that WRF and EURO show 2-5 inches of snow for PDX Monday. Thinking that it could be a good setup for hilly areas, maybe wet accumulation. Thursday still looks good for 3-6 inches city-wide perhaps. We'll see, but I'm a bit more excited. Feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong ro be excited though haha

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

does the bigmac guy still post here?

Big Mac lmao.

I think Bryant went by the username TheNewBigMack back in the day.

• Like 1

Your criticism was absurd.

This forum would be terrible if it was just model maps without people's analysis/interpretation.

Silly to keep talking about it though. It's gonna snow!

Just drop it guys. Back to weather. Some places are less than 24 hours away from snow!

• Like 2