February 2020 (It's cold at the end of the run!)

Madtown

Our rain has moved out and is currently east of Dallas. Some local flooding in areas.

43* this morning. Heavy Overcast skies. Light wind.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Attm, its 14F under deep, blue skies. Its gorgeous outside!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Woke up to -17 at the house this morning.  It really isn't all that bad since there is no wind.  However, I would be singing a different tune if I was to be out there longer than 5 min. :P Even though this winter hasn't been bad or extreme at all, I am so ready for this weekend and feeling the bright sunshine with 40 degree temps!  It'll be a nice preview to Spring!

• Like 5

Woke up to -17 at the house this morning.  It really isn't all that bad since there is no wind.  However, I would be singing a different tune if I was to be out there longer than 5 min. :P Even though this winter hasn't been bad or extreme at all, I am so ready for this weekend and feeling the bright sunshine with 40 degree temps!  It'll be a nice preview to Spring!

I completely agree with this. This winter has been good, but nothing extreme in terms of cold or snowfall. The difference this winter compared to the last few is that it’s been seasonably cold (for the most part) and we’ve had snow on the ground all winter. We haven’t had a consistent winter like this in a while. I’m ready for some warmth this weekend too, even if it dents the snowpack. Warm sun in late Feb is twice as strong as in December. It’s going to be a nice break. We still have a ways to go with winter, so we gotta enjoy it!

• Like 2

IN the last week- Hibbing,MN has set two record mins-- -32F on Valentines Day and -33F this AM breaking the old record of -27F in 1963. This month's  avg temp is 5.0F -  5.4 below normal through the 20th.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Attm, 17F under clear skies. Lows dipping into the upper single digits.

• Like 1

Grand Island has been reporting moderate to heavy snow the past couple of hours. Clint must not be too impressed because its silence from him :lol: . The usual steady light pixie dust has commenced here with a very light dusting now. 

LOL.  I'm not impressed easily.  In all seriousness I was stuck inside so didn't get to enjoy it but it was nice to look at out the window for a few minutes. Only got a couple inches but oh well

• Like 1

Lots of sun here today. The low overnight was +8 here at my house with the official low of 12 out at the airport. I live just NW of Grand Rapids and there is a good 3” of snow on the ground here but in the city and into the southside of the city there is a lot less snow on the ground. With the sun the temperature is now up to 24 here.

IN the last week- Hibbing,MN has set two record mins-- -32F on Valentines Day and -33F this AM breaking the old record of -27F in 1963. This month's  avg temp is 5.0F -  5.4 below normal through the 20th.

I have had 13 mornings of -20 or less so far this winter.  The notable thing is that the cold has never established itself this year.  It seems every "cold" morning is followed by southerly flow within 12-36 hours warming things up dramatically.  I guess  this goes to show how strong the polar vortex is this year.   When the cold air did find its way to northern minnesota it has been potent, but only small chunks of it have seemed to reach northern minnesota, no continuous flow of cold air you'd get from an established blocking/NW flow setup.     

Now Hibbing has gone from -33f to +36f in 31 hours.  

• Like 4

Attm, clear skies w temps at 31F. I don't think I have seen a cloud now for 2 days. Wow!

This weekend could feature near 50F. Looking real good. All outside activities are approved weatherwise. ;)

• Like 1

I have had 13 mornings of -20 or less so far this winter.  The notable thing is that the cold has never established itself this year.  It seems every "cold" morning is followed by southerly flow within 12-36 hours warming things up dramatically.  I guess  this goes to show how strong the polar vortex is this year.   When the cold air did find its way to northern minnesota it has been potent, but only small chunks of it have seemed to reach northern minnesota, no continuous flow of cold air you'd get from an established blocking/NW flow setup.     

Now Hibbing has gone from -33f to +36f in 31 hours.  

If you follow N.MN obs closely you will see (and this is just a snapshot) that Hibbing has been running consistently below  ( temps at night) other reporting stations in N.MN. It's not air mass induced- rather snow cover and calm winds. This is producing it's own cold air - rather than CAA from Canada. 20200222_0920_metars_msp.gif

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Three years ago, today, the temperature hit 76º in Cedar Rapids.  That's pretty ridiculous for February.  In fact, it's the record.  It was also 71º five days earlier.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

My gut feeling is the Tuesday system is the last chance for anything significant here and that chance looks pretty weak. The crazy strong AO+ killed winter early in my neck of the woods. Recent winters here have overall been pretty meh. Maybe this will change next year or maybe it will continue as is for another 20+ years. Who knows... :unsure:

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

My gut feeling is the Tuesday system is the last chance for anything significant here and that chance looks pretty weak. The crazy strong AO+ killed winter early in my neck of the woods. Recent winters here have overall been pretty meh. Maybe this will change next year or maybe it will continue as is for another 20+ years. Who knows... :unsure:

4-8 years is really the max for these types of cycles, imo. Long-term, I'm probably nearer 5.5 years on this overall type of pattern that started in summer of 2014. It's sad but seeing drought risks return to the south and west will be a good indicator of this longer term cycle passing. (At least the portions driven by the equatorial tropics).

The problem we face here is entering or fading back into a type of pattern that persisted from 2008-2012 where the ridges don't migrate. Lots of things to look at going forward.

• Like 3

With the sun we had yesterday and mild temperatures took a big bite out of the snow cover here. There now is a lot of bare ground showing. Of course the snow piles are still there and there is still snow on the north side of building and in the woods yet. It is not unusual to have no snow on the ground in late February. In the 30 leap years of records here at Grand Rapids 15 had either no snow on the ground or just a reported trace. At this time it is sunny here with a temperature of 36. 

• Like 1

Yesterday hit 45F w/sun and today add another 5+ deg's? Going to enjoy this early spring feel today. The temps aren't that much of a torch, but the longer daylight and noticeable higher sun angle are making the difference vs the same conditions a month ago.  ;)

• Like 4

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Yesterday hit 45F w/sun and today add another 5+ deg's? Going to enjoy this early spring feel today. The temps aren't that much of a torch, but the longer daylight and noticeable higher sun angle are making the difference vs the same conditions a month ago. ;)

We may be heading into the upper 50’s today...a little spring fever action no doubt...

• Like 2

Yesterday hit 45F w/sun and today add another 5+ deg's? Going to enjoy this early spring feel today. The temps aren't that much of a torch, but the longer daylight and noticeable higher sun angle are making the difference vs the same conditions a month ago.  ;)

I agree amigo! Yesterday felt so great being outside. Right after the gym, I went and played basketball w buddies of mine who are here from NYC (Harlem upper west side) and I could not believe how mild it was. My high was 47F, but w full sunshine, it felt much better. Also, like you mentioned above, higher sun angle makes it feel warmer this time of the year. Tbh, after this beautiful stretch of sunny days we have been having and warmer temps, I think I am done w snow once Feb exits, if not now.

• Like 2