September 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

This is why being a weather weenie is such a wonderful thing. Had to get some work done today on the car but knew it was going to rain.

If anyone owns a Subaru and replaced low beam headlights before knows how much of a pain it can be to get to the low beam housing. Also decided to do headlight restoration for minor hazing for the rainy season. 

Based on the models, figured rain would roll in around 10:30 or 11 so I started work at 8am. Timed it perfectly! Done by 11 with rain beginning to fall.  All that was left was I had to roll the car into the garage to allow the clear coat to dry before exposing to the rain. :) 

The finished work as rain begins. 

IMG_4580.jpeg

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Cloud said:

This is why being a weather weenie is such a wonderful thing. Had to get some work done today on the car but knew it was going to rain.

If anyone owns a Subaru and replaced low beam headlights before knows how much of a pain it can be to get to the low beam housing. Also decided to do headlight restoration for minor hazing for the rainy season. 

Based on the models, figured rain would roll in around 10:30 or 11 so I started work at 8am. Timed it perfectly! Done by 11 with rain beginning to fall.  All that was left was I had to roll the car into the garage to allow the clear coat to dry before exposing to the rain. :) 

IMG_4580.jpeg

A NIGHTMARE!! Have done two now on my wife’s Outback. My hand/wrist are sore for about two days afterwards since you have to contort your hand into very unnatural positions. 

I did the same, looked at the radar and knew how much dry time I would have. Did some detailing of the green machines today, finished right when the rain started. Not nearly as hard on the hands lol 

IMG_8855.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

A NIGHTMARE!! Have done two now on my wife’s Outback. My hand/wrist are sore for about two days afterwards since you have to contort your hand into very unnatural positions. 

I did the same, looked at the radar and knew how much dry time I would have. Did some detailing of the green machines today, finished right when the rain started. Not nearly as hard on the hands lol 

IMG_8855.jpeg

I’ve done it twice before for burnt bulbs and decided to say F it today and just take off the front wheels instead for “easier” access. It helped! But only slightly since as you said, still have to contort body and hands. Ugh. Love my Subie, but not this part. 🤣

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cloud said:

IMG_4580.jpeg

I have a 2007 Subaru Tribeca (it was my mom's SUV and it came to me after she passed away). I went to a place here in Portland to switch the Halogen lamps to LED and they also restored the coverings too a few years ago. Wow, what a difference it made. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

I have a 2007 Subaru Tribeca (it was my mom's SUV and it came to me after she passed away). I went to a place here in Portland to switch the Halogen lamps to LED and they also restored the coverings too a few years ago. Wow, what a difference it made. 

That’s what I did today! I replaced my halogens for a set of LEDs last year but recently the lights were starting to flicker and getting dimmer. Think they may be on the process of going out, I got a cheaper LEDs the first time. This time, these new ones are a bit more expensive. I’ll find out if they’re better once I drive nights. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF is really nice... big change from the 12Z run yesterday.   Plenty of rain and then partly sunny Thursday... mostly sunny Friday... and wall-to-wall sunshine next weekend and into next week.

Yup a return to ridging. I have to say I wasn’t ready for permanent darkness yet. Though I am ordering water proof socks.image.thumb.png.92fc7caa412fc7e774c0963f9c437289.png

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, MossMan said:

What was really “fun” was the era of sealed-beam headlamps. Due to manufacturing variations, you had to adjust the aim each time you replaced one. Took me a couple of times before I figured out the trick of parking in front of a wall and adjusting the newly-replaced lamp based on the other one.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

What was really “fun” was the era of sealed-beam headlamps. Due to manufacturing variations, you had to adjust the aim each time you replaced one. Took me a couple of times before I figured out the trick of parking in front of a wall and adjusting the newly-replaced lamp based on the other one.

I remember those days! I usually got lucky and rarely had to adjust. Plus you never had to worry about any plastic lenses to recondition after a few years. 

IMG_8875.jpeg

• bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

IMG_2622.jpeg

UW game starting off with some VIEWS

The announcers on ESPN for the game seemed shocked that there was a light shower passing through.   They said that maybe people living here are used to it but here it is already raining in late September which is so early.  So it doesn't rain anywhere else in the country in September?   And when showing the crowd they said the students are "suffering" through rain and cold in September but have to like what they see on the field.   😀

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The announcers on ESPN for the game seemed shocked that there was a light shower passing through.   They said that maybe people living here are used to it but here it is already raining in late September which is so early.  So it doesn't rain anywhere else in the country in September?   And when showing the crowd they said the students are "suffering" through rain and cold in September but have to like what they see on the field.   😀

Suffering through a 56°F 45-12 UW lead. 😂

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Lol we were at the rainiers game tonight and the stands were mostly full to start the game. Of course it kept raining and they weren’t playing well so we and most people left. Wasn’t really that cold or super rainy though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

That’s what I did today! I replaced my halogens for a set of LEDs last year but recently the lights were starting to flicker and getting dimmer. Think they may be on the process of going out, I got a cheaper LEDs the first time. This time, these new ones are a bit more expensive. I’ll find out if they’re better once I drive nights. 

The place I went to had a two year warranty so if they went out, they would replace them for free. It's was almost $300 to get it done but it was well worth it. I wanted to do it myself but I had the hardest time trying to find a small enough lamp to fit into the housing. I'm glad you were able to get it done. You'll find it was well worth replacing the halogen lights 🤗

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes...they said they have to like what the see on the field despite the weather.  😁

In all seriousness it's about perfect out with a light jacket.

• Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

8 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

In all seriousness it's about perfect out with a light jacket.

I am sure its fine.   I just find it funny how the national media plays up any rain at Huskies and Seahawks games.  You would think we live in a permanent monsoon year round with the way they talk.    

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

image.png

Did someone say El Niño?

I ❤️ El Niño.

1 hour ago, Slushy Inch said:

I wonder how - PDO will clash with El Niño 

Probably nothing. -PMM could aid in retracting the ITCZ/HC farther south though.

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am sure its fine.   I just find it funny how the national media plays up any rain at Huskies and Seahawks games.  You would think we live in a permanent monsoon year round with the way they talk.    

East coasters aren’t used to stratiform rain during the warmer seasons. That’s a PNW specialty.

Today was the first cloudy/rainy day we’ve had since that fluky nor’easter in June. And it took a dying tropical system to pull it off.

• Angry 1

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

I ❤️ El Niño.

Probably nothing. -PMM could aid in retracting the ITCZ/HC farther south though.

East coasters aren’t used to stratiform rain during the warmer seasons. That’s a PNW specialty.

Today was the first cloudy/rainy day we’ve had since April. And it took a dying tropical system to pull it off.

I saw a mess of stratiform rain during the Penn State game today.   They didn't make a big deal of it.    This was a 15- minute light shower during the Huskies game.  🤨

• Excited 1

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

I ❤️ El Niño.

Today was the first cloudy/rainy day we’ve had since that fluky nor’easter in June. And it took a dying tropical system to pull it off.

That pool of really anomalous warmth in the northwest pacific is going to effect something 

• Sun 1

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

I ❤️ El Niño.

The East gets stratiform rain a lot more often than the PNW from mid June to mid September.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

The East gets stratiform rain a lot more often than the PNW from mid June to mid September.

We get a lot more rain. But it’s not of the stratiform/isentropic upglide variety. Or low level marine scud.

Since May 1st we’ve had maybe 4 or 5 cloudy/rainy days total. And some of those were borderline, augmented by frontogenesis.