September 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Can see the transient period of subsidence east of the dateline associated with the cycle of ridging upcoming.

Opposes the niño circulation so likely won’t last long. Can also see the CCKW/MJO thru which it manifests.

IMG_7003.jpeg

• Like 1

And remember the teleconnection w/ PNW climo reverses come D/J/F. P8 RMM/LP is a cool and/or stormy signal during autumn but full blown ridgy come January.

And Vice versa for higher frequency bouts of Pacific subsidence like this one. Currently it’s a warm signal, come January it’s a cool/wet signal. Statistically speaking, in this case.

• Popcorn 1

14 minutes ago, snow maniac said:

Brrrr 32 degrees this morning lite frost on grass.

Meanwhile 51 at SEA and 48 in North Bend due to persistent low clouds overnight.  

• bongocat-test 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

70s in early October is nothing to write home about. 

Big change from yesterday when a typical October warm spell was the immoral destruction of our entire ecosystem.   Troll much?  😀

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 hours ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Then the records I have are garbage. Either way latest/earliest frost for me in 7 years

Temperature doesn’t tell the whole story for agriculture.  You should calculate the growing degree days for those years and get back to us. 

• Sun 1

56 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

33 and frosty here this morning, this is the first time I have seen frost in September out this way, at least I don't remember it happening any other time.

There’s a good chance that it could’ve happened in late September/early October 2019. There was some record setting cold that year. Bad sign for winter! 

10 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

There’s a good chance that it could’ve happened in late September/early October 2019. There was some record setting cold that year. Bad sign for winter! 

Looked like my first frost that year was on 10/9

At least according to my 40,000 picture archive on my phone. 

IMG_9031.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

18 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

That is surprising. We had our first frost here on 10/1 with a low of 36. We had our first freeze on 10/10 that year very early for this area. 

This is the only picture I have from the 1st. Perhaps that cat at work was named Frosty though? Can’t remember. 

IMG_9033.jpeg

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

78 is not hot.

Says the guy who lives in So Cal.  40 degrees is not cold, I still walk around in sandals and shorts.  I had to laugh when I was in Huntington Beach a few weeks ago at people bundled up wearing sweaters and jackets when it was about 68-70 in the evening. We went to a bar that had the gas fire pit table things, and a few people were actually sitting up and leaning in towards them.

It's all about where you live and what you are used to.  For a LOT of people up here, 78 is Hot.  Not Tim though....

• Excited 1
  • lol 4

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Says the guy who lives in So Cal.  40 degrees is not cold, I still walk around in sandals and shorts.  I had to laugh when I was in Huntington Beach a few weeks ago at people bundled up wearing sweaters and jackets when it was about 68-70 in the evening. We went to a bar that had the gas fire pit table things, and a few people were actually sitting up and leaning in towards them.

It's all about where you live and what you are used to.  For a LOT of people up here, 78 is Hot.  Not Tim though....

A dewpoint below 70 is not humid or muggy, either. 😉

Fr, there’s barely a factorable heat index at that point. But, alas..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, snow maniac said:

Brrrr 32 degrees this morning lite frost on grass.

Lucky. I’ve never recorded a freeze in September. Skeeters still swarming like it’s the end times.

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Big change from yesterday when a typical October warm spell was the immoral destruction of our entire ecosystem.   Troll much?  😀

A lot of Andrew’s “trolling” is just a projection of his emotional state. I’m pretty sure he’s actually an empath, beneath it all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil said:

Can see the transient period of subsidence east of the dateline associated with the cycle of ridging upcoming.

Opposes the niño circulation so likely won’t last long. Can also see the CCKW/MJO thru which it manifests.

IMG_7003.jpeg

CMC now on board with EPS/GEFS. NPJ/STJ breaks through as the CCKW propagates east and convection returns to the central equatorial pacific and +dAAMt commences.

IMG_7004.png

• Popcorn 1