December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

24 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I’m optimistic regardless of the sentiment on here. Could be the best chance for flakes all year. 

Even though it only shows about a dusting for me I’ll take what I can get during a strong Nino.

• Like 1

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 21

Number of 85+ days - 17

Number of 90+ days - 3

Number of 95+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 96)

Number of 60+ lows - 1

3 hours ago, MossMan said:

We weren’t quite to this current level just yet, but things were very bleak here in January 2019…And Phil was keeping us updated regularly on the hopelessness…Just like right now. 😂

IMG_0972.jpeg

I wonder who “liked” this post originally? Must have been Tim!

• lol 2

1 minute ago, MV_snow said:

I wonder who “liked” this post originally? Must have been Tim!

I was surprisingly on board for a good part of January.    Then started to doubt in the lead up.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Yep, if the airmass right now was just a bit colder it would be fairly decent more region wide overrunning event, I wouldn't be shocked to at least see a mix out this way for a bit at some point tomorrow.

I think you will get some light accumulation 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Yeah February 2019 was insane. My wife had an emergency appendectomy the day after the Super Bowl though. She went to work (night shift) and got sent home sick at 2am. Had to drive back home in the snow. Then decided to go to the hospital at 4:30am and drive down by herself in the snow. Our daughter was home and sick, so I had to stay home. That whole week was a bit of a blur. 

• Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Obvious mistake. He intended to downvote it.

Our favorite online bully always downvotes.     More than anyone else by a factor of 50.  Definitely a mistake.   😁

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

21 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Yeah February 2019 was insane. My wife had an emergency appendectomy the day after the Super Bowl though. She went to work (night shift) and got sent home sick at 2am. Had to drive back home in the snow. Then decided to go to the hospital at 4:30am and drive down by herself in the snow. Our daughter was home and sick, so I had to stay home. That whole week was a bit of a blur. 

Wow... that is some chaos. 

i remember hauling the snowblower out of the shed and pushing it up the hill through the grass at half time of the Super Bowl.    Did not see that grass again for 6 weeiks.

12 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

35.6 here.  Surface temps are basically always meaningless the night before in these situations.  I’ve seen it go from low 40s to low 30s as the precip moves in many times. 

Antecedent conditions definitely seem meaningless in this type of set up.   Its going to drop to whatever the air mass supports automatically when precip arrives.   The opposite seems to be true with overrunning events.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I had my emergency appendectomy that August. Must have been something in the air that year, Andrew.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

26 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Obvious mistake. He intended to downvote it.

I believe those were the days where we had one option…wieners and downvotes were not yet invented! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, MossMan said:

I believe those were the days where we had one option…wieners and downvotes were not yet invented! 

I liked it the following October when I was reliving the Jan/Feb 2019 progression, because it underscored how woefully wrong Phil (and many of us) were in the lead up. 

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

On 1/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, TT-SEA said:

I feel it coming... early February will be the time to score here.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, TT-SEA said:

This upcoming pattern is ripe for retrogression. And early February is a classic time to score here... and ENSO is close to neutral now. Its coming and I will remind you of this in 3 weeks.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:12 PM, TT-SEA said:

12Z EPS not there in the 10-15 day period.   I think my early February call is on target still... and the models will wait another week and then start looking really good.

eps-z500a-5d-noram-61-3.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61-5.png

I was on board... but then really started doubting a week later so can't really say I called it if I pulled back during the lead up.   

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I appreciate that, but it’s best to just avoid adding fuel to the fire period.

You lit the fire.  Arsonist taking credit for putting out the fire.  🤨

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... that is some chaos. 

i remember hauling the snowblower out of the shed and pushing it up the hill through the grass at half time of the Super Bowl.    Did not see that grass again for 6 weeiks.

yeah we got pretty deep over here.  had a ground blizzard on 3/1

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z GFS is running.   Hood Canal and Vancouver Island are going to get snow.  Not so sure about the east side of the Puget Sound.

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-2166400.png

LFGGGGGG! We up baby LFG. IM SO EXCITED. Drop a W in chat. 💯💯💯💯🙌

Edited by SouthHillFrosty
  • Like 3
  • Excited 3
  • bongocat-test 1

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z GFS is running.   Hood Canal and Vancouver Island are going to get snow.  Not so sure about the east side of the Puget Sound.

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-2166400.png

🔒🔒🔒

4" for Fife, pls snow gods!

• Like 2
  • lol 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

This snow threat tomorrow looks 100% legit now.  The GFS has gotten progressively better even for my area.  Some of the usual snowy spots look really solid now.

Currently 36 here and some places are already down to freezing.

• Like 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This snow threat tomorrow looks 100% legit now.  The GFS has gotten progressively better even for my area.  Some of the usual snowy spot look really solid now.

Currently 36 here and some places are already down to freezing.

I’m optimistic that East King County will at least seem flakes flying. Would be nice to get a surprise snow. 

16 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Only December 8th and already looking at my second snow of the season.  Could be worse. 

Ya think?

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

That's a positive sign.

Surprising the NWS is totally ignoring it given the numbers forecast for the mid levels tomorrow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I’m optimistic that East king county will at least seem flakes flying. Would be nice to get a surprise snow. 

Offshore flow will be fairly weak and we are supposed to have good precip intensity.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS starts shoving everything south of WA during week two.  Could leave us in a fairly chilly situation.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9