December 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Some encouraging words from the Canadian forum:

Screenshot2023-12-17at08_23_40.png.a9b2e031ee2f5db3cf1c0bc31569af2a.png

If I get any snow this “season” it will probably be in March or April. It also snowed here in May 2010 coming off a strong Nino. 

• Snow 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

If I get any snow this “season” it will probably be in March or April. It also snowed here in May 2010 coming off a strong Nino. 

Particularly since you have altitude working in your favour.

As sure as the sun rises each morning, I can be sure I will see no accumulating snow on or after March 1st. At least I have already scored this season, so no complete bust for me.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

can we bulldoze the appalachians? 🤬 

IMG_8561.gif

Without them you wouldn't see upslope induced precipitation either.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

33 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is the Columbia Gorge. 

35 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It is not even purely theoretical. Most of the reason that Whatcom County and the BC Lower Mainland score more frequently than points south is due to easier access to cold air funneling in through the Fraser Canyon.

beyonce knows GIF

Not sure why this comes up for "exactly" but exactly 

• lol 1

11 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Without them you wouldn't see upslope induced precipitation either.

I don’t see upslope induced precipitation now. I’m 190ft ASL on the downslope side, adiabatic warming/drying eviscerates precip long before it gets here absent a strong ULL. And even then it’s just flurries/squalls. None of the Great Lakes moisture makes it here.

In NW flow, it’ll often be in the teens with heavy snow 75-100 miles to the west, while it’s in the 40s and sunny/windy here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Seems like the GFS has been playing catch up with the EPS and too progressive in the long range.   I just don't trust the GFS until the EPS starts showing some movement.   

00Z EPS showed the GOA trough holding through the end of run.   I would also like to see something more progressive because this really sucks for the mountains and skiers and I have a couple skiers begging for good news every day.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1702771200-1702771200-1704067200-10.gif

The gfs issues in the long term are comical.

• lol 2
  • scream 1

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don’t see upslope induced precipitation now. I’m 190ft ASL on the downslope side, adiabatic warming/drying eviscerates precip long before it gets here absent a strong ULL. And even then it’s just flurries/squalls. None of the Great Lakes moisture makes it here.

In NW flow, it’ll often be in the teens with heavy snow 75-100 miles to the west, while it’s in the 40s and sunny/windy here.

I'm referring to that precip in WV looks upslope induced to me. Obviously you're getting downslope'd but without the Appalachians that area would also see a whole lot less precipitation develop was my point.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Had to drive back from Graham/Eatonville last night and had to turn on the high beams to see in the dense fog in the countryside (when nobody was coming). Also my friends dog bite me five times so that was fun.

Edited by SouthHillFrosty
  • Like 1
  • Sick 1

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Had to drive back from Graham/Eatonville last night and had to turn on the high beams to see in the dense fog in the countryside (when nobody was coming). Also got bit by my friends dog five times so that was fun also. 

High beams make driving in the fog worse.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

33 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I'm referring to that precip in WV looks upslope induced to me. Obviously you're getting downslope'd but without the Appalachians that area would also see a whole lot less precipitation develop was my point.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah it’s upslope enhanced, tho there’d still be precipitation without it.

Also see this effect with Alberta clippers, that usually drop 2-4” of snow across the Ohio valley, 6-12” across the high terrain, then a measly 1” here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Had to drive back from Graham/Eatonville last night and had to turn on the high beams to see in the dense fog in the countryside (when nobody was coming). Also got bit by my friends dog five times so that was fun also. 

Sounds like an action packed night!

• bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

21 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Ended up with a low of 28 this morning. Coldest of the month so far. Still frosty out and just 34 with high clouds and some patches of fog.

Also noticed it smells a little smoky out.

Woodsmoke trapped under an inversion?

3 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Pretty extreme inversion right now. 

59 at 3900' just east of Silver Falls State Park

55 at Horse Creek east of Salem at 3300'

46 at the Silver Falls viewpoint 1750'

35 at Powers Creek Loop 1200'

30 at SLE at about 200'

Dewpoints along the west slopes of the Cascades are in the single digits. While in the valley RH is near 100%. 

Good stuff.

1 hour ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

I think I'll head up to Crown Point. Winds have gotten much stronger. There were a couple of gusts up to 72mph but still high 60's. 

Screenshot_20231217_093204_Chrome.jpg

Remember, the new weather station they put up there the anemometer can only handle around 80mph gusts. I would rely more on the Corbett observation and add 15-20mph for Crown Point. Corbett has had a gust to 76mph, so Crown Point likely well over 90mph.

16 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Remember, the new weather station they put up there the anemometer can only handle around 80mph gusts. I would rely more on the Corbett observation and add 15-20mph for Crown Point. Corbett has had a gust to 76mph, so Crown Point likely well over 90mph.

I think your right. I've been up here when I experienced 115 mph and some of the gusts feel close to 90 mph. So many people have lost their Bennies to the wind....lol. I'm in the car for a few, I'm not young as I used to be...lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

I think your right. I've been up here when I experienced 115 mph and some of the gusts feel close to 90 mph. So many people have lost their Bennies to the wind....lol. I'm in the car for a few, I'm not young as I used to be...lol

Mark Nelsen and other knowledgeable folks in my FB weather group posted about the new weather station and the faults with it. I'm trying to find it so I can post that here.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Day 10 - Model comparison 12z ECMWF, GEM, GFS. All models point towards a possible significant pattern change. Later this week I want to see the same thing, but at Day 4-5.

models-2023121712-f240.500h_anom.na.gif

12Z EPS now takes us to January. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1702814400-1702814400-1704110400-10.gif

• Snow 1
  • Windy 1
  • Sick 3
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**