16 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Next winter could be amazing.  Strong Nino to Nina transition and a positive QBO.  And we have finally broken the January curse it seems.

If it even is a niña. Next warm pool extension is due any time now (usually happens around solar maximum).

• Downvote 2
  • Troll 3

-5F right now.

• Shivering 2
  • bongocat-test 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

SEA lost some data today so hard to tell how high it got. But by looking at the obs, can’t be more than 23F. The 25F recorded at 2am would be the lowest max in quite some time. 

I think they had a midnight high.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

23 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Mossman didn't get snow. Not impressed. 

This would have been top tier and even extra special because of Phil’s strong El Niño…But won’t be very memorable for me years from now like the last 5-6 seasons have been. UNLESS we get something next week, that could change things quite a bit for me. 
But single digits is still quite impressive. 

Hope all of the plumbers in NW plumber land are resting up…Because it’s coming! 

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Completely understandable. Everyone getting snow would be great, but that can't happen so I'm rooting for less freezing rain.

But who knows, maybe the 850s will be colder than forecast and everyone can get some snow, but that seems unlikely.

It's the 925s you need to worry about.

0z NAM is the furthest north yet with the snow and it's an NCEP model so the GFS might follow suit.

• Like 2
  • scream 2
  • Sick 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

@Perturbed Member and @Doinko. Seems like this shifted about 25 miles north down the stretch. That’s why I was worried when we were in the bullseye a day or 2 ago. Seems like it’s always a good bet that these types of systems trend a bit north after they lock in. If we can somehow stay all snow this’ll be a 10 inch storm.

• Like 3

Just now, DeepFriedEgg said:

@Perturbed Member and @Doinko. Seems like this shifted about 25 miles north down the stretch. That’s why I was worried when we were in the bullseye a day or 2 ago. Seems like it’s always a good bet that these types of systems trend a bit north after they lock in. If we can somehow stay all snow this’ll be a 10 inch storm.

Hopefully it's just the NAM and FV3 doing their own thing. Euro still looks decent

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

This would have been top tier and even extra special because of Phil’s strong El Niño…But won’t be very memorable for me years from now like the last 5-6 seasons have been. UNLESS we get something next week, that could change things quite a bit for me. 
But single digits is still quite impressive. 

Hope all of the plumbers in NW plumber land are resting up…Because it’s coming! 

I’m of the same viewpoint. Could care less about arctic air if it’s not going to snow.

But there’s more blocking coming later this winter, so plenty of opportunities left.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

Yeah, you never want to be in the bullseye that far out. Seldom works out well.

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

One thing blowing my mind about this cold wave is how a relatively small amount of elevation is making such huge difference.  For instance I-90/SR 18 junction is 11 while North Bend is at 15.  Also a very impressive 13 on an 1100 foot mountain just south of Bellevue.

It was 17 at 200ft 1 mile from my house, got home and it was 14

650ft

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

36 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I've been thinking about this the last few days.  We are getting into very rarified company with some of these stats.  A couple from MBY.

This will be the 4th consecutive winter to have 2 or more freezing max temps.

Third consecutive to have a max below 25

Both have not happened in a very long time.

I moved to the PNW in 1987 so got to experience the Feb 1989 and Dec 1990 cold snaps. This sort of set my expectations that every few winters there would be something like that. Took me most of the 1990’s before I realized I had unrealistic expectations.

11.7˚F.

It's called clown range for a reason.

12 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

There, too? The hemlock carnage in the old growth forest in Stanley Park is just terrible.

Some hemlocks near here literally got fried in the June 2021 heatwave.  Just north of me they had hot and extremely dry winds on the hottest day and it killed the trees.

• Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

The NAM did OK for 1/10/17 so I'm not worried about it until it is statistically likely to be correct again in 2038

Both the Euro and the GFS say PDX gets around 5“ and the HRDPS is going for a bit more than that. It is rare for both Euro and GFS to be totally out to lunch (though occasionally it happens). I wouldn’t worry very much unless the 00Z Euro pulls the rug.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I'd pay money to change our summers.

All it is doing is destroying our forests. All my hemlocks are almost dead on my property. 70 degrees is all we need, maybe a couple weeks of that and the rest can be cloudy and 65 and I'd be in heaven. 

I’m in the minority but I love our summers as long as the peak temp is only mid 80s. 

• Like 4

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I moved to the PNW in 1987 so got to experience the Feb 1989 and Dec 1990 cold snaps. This sort of set my expectations that every few winters there would be something like that. Took me most of the 1990’s before I realized I had unrealistic expectations.

11.7˚F.

Yep, at the time I had no idea how rare 1990 was. That's the last time I have seen it snow here at 14 degrees. I also had 75 mph gusts.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m of the same viewpoint. Could care less about arctic air if it’s not going to snow.

But there’s more blocking coming later this winter, so plenty of opportunities left.

I think cold is a bonus. I would prefer snow though.

• Like 2

I’m really hoping this can work out for the Portland folks because I know this thing isn’t trending far enough north to give me snow. It would really suck if Portland missed out because this thing trended slightly too far north at the last minute. This will be insane for the area if it happens. Blowing snow and in the teens for Portland would be crazy.

• Like 5

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

17 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Wow the fv3 Jumped north and screws Portland.  Not looking good with this model at least. Just looks to dry though 

Post it please?

Just now, Cold Snap said:

I’m really hoping this can work out for the Portland folks because I know this thing isn’t trending far enough north to give me snow. It would really suck if Portland missed out because this thing trended slightly too far north at the last minute. This will be insane for the area if it happens. Blowing snow and in the teens for Portland would be crazy.

It’s definitely going to work out for them. It’s wiggled north a bit…but it’s going to be awesome down there. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 2

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

If it even is a niña. Next warm pool extension is due any time now (usually happens around solar maximum).

The CFS is all in on a Nina.  The ECMWF shows a sharp drop coming, but not as extreme as the CFS.  The last time I looked at the subsurface profile it was the dead opposite of one year ago.

Jan 2024

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Ok, does anyone on here now have a link to a site to look up a locations all time low/high temp including data newer than 2010?

You talking about this one?

https://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It’s definitely going to work out for them. It’s wiggled north a bit…but it’s going to be awesome down there. 

I have made my peace with no snow so I'm feeling a bit more generous than usual.  I know the horrible feeling to have something like that ripped away at the last minute.

That having been said I'm no longer certain it won't make it this far north.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Some hemlocks near here literally got fried in the June 2021 heatwave.  Just north of me they had hot and extremely dry winds on the hottest day and it killed the trees.

Here it’s more of a double whammy: summers consistently warmer and drier than they used to be plus a hemlock looper moth infestation. The moth larvae have repeatedly defoliated the hemlocks, and due to the drought stress the trees can’t take it anymore.

If summer rainfall and temperatures were more normal, the defoliations would not be killing them. The moths are native to this area and the trees are adapted to recover from them (if they have enough moisture, which they no longer do).