4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Also why I have been saying Monday and Tuesday are important.  

The upper level temps are not just starting to warm when the storm arrives... they will have been warming for 3 days.   Its starting now and even by tomorrow afternoon the 925mb temp is too warm for snow.     If the cold air was locked in until the storm arrives then I would say its going to a much bigger issue.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t925-1705212000-1705212000-1705536000-10.gif

Yeah the only way this would ever generate show would be a drop in upper layer temp after the warming while the cold is still in place at surface. The timing of that is just not realistic 

• Like 1

Just now, Poulsbo Snowman said:

Got quiet in here.

I am sure I will be blamed and not nature.  😀

We should just say a massive snowstorm is imminent and no one can post any maps.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Poulsbo Snowman said:

Got quiet in here.

People are just wore out.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Your area seems to be a prime spot for tiny pockets of trapped cold air in these situations.   It can be snowing there and literally nowhere else in the lowlands.  

I have seen 6 inches of snow and 32 degrees and 3 miles east no snow and 40 lol

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

10 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah what we just had was completely ridiculously boring. Everything had to go just right to fail this hard…And it did. January 2020 was 10x better than this “event”. 

This one is going to sting for a long time. 

Depends how you look it.  The cold has been amazing.  Breaking the January curse for Arctic blasts is a huge deal.  2020 was meh here BTW.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

17 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

Jim. See my last post two pages back please. 

No SSW being shown for a while now.  There is no doubt one will come though...probably in February.  In about a week the PV is supposed to fully reunited into one area.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Everyone worn out over lack of snow. 

It's kind of frustrating to me that people can't appreciate an historic cold snap.  That is part of winter after all.

• Like 8
  • Sun 1
  • Troll 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

What a winter storm! It was hard to measure because of the drifts but I would say I finished with around 3” of snow/sleet mix. Due to the sleet everything is hard and compacted. I’ve never experienced such strong winds ever with snow/sleet along with frigid temperatures in the low 10s. I easily got over 50 mph east wind gust throughout the day. Lights flickered on and off most of the day and I thank God I didn’t lose power. This winter storm will be one for the ages! 🥶

Yeah, the combination of snow/cold/wind was amazing. Looks like our snow should last today and tomorrow, hopefully we get some clearing for colder lows

• Like 3

This might not have been good by a lot of metrics, but for a strong Nino, this was amazing. You can't win the Superbowl with a .500 team, but you can appreciate a good game or even a good play and find satisfaction in it even if the ultimate outcome is not what you would want. (If I keep saying it, I will believe it eventually.)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Depends how you look it.  The cold has been amazing.  Breaking the January curse for Arctic blasts is a huge deal.  2020 was meh here BTW.

I would take the first picture with temps in the upper 20’s over the second picture (this morning) with light frost on the roof and temps in the mid teens any day, All this one did was destroy my high traffic grass. Mud the rest of the winter now, yay!! 

I will try hard not to be me for the rest of the day now lol. 

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 7
  • Rain 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

We are also still 60+ hours out, just too early to call. Will have a much better idea tomorrow.

The problem is losing most of the ensemble members. Just 24 hours ago we had quite a few with a favorable track. If the 12z EPS is not improved I think we can let this one go. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Shifts to long range views for the next opportunity… image.thumb.png.be93936aacfb06e488cfbc3a2ef8f920.png

Perhaps taking advantage of the last of inversion season. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's kind of frustrating to me that people can't appreciate an historic cold snap.  That is part of winter after all.

Not sure why that would matter to you?   You appreciate the statistical significance and that is great... but most people just want snowy memories and don't care if the high was 20 or 22 at SEA yesterday.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I still think we have a lot of work to do in January. Now we need something that’s not fun and done. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

The problem is losing most of the ensemble members. Just 24 hours ago we had quite a few with a favorable track. If the 12z EPS is not improved I think we can let this one go. 

Agreed.   The other problem is the blocking high is pulling away now which is different than last week when the blocking high was starting to build and that makes it harder to get colder trends.  

• Like 1

Freeways are still a mess down in the Portland area.   In terms of being memorable... this will be a top tier event for people down there!  

I-5_99st_pid769.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Go figure, people like different things.  It's frustrating to some on here that you cheer cold without snow.

People all have different preferences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Could somebody please tell me how to do a screen shot from the tables that this site generates.  Alt / print screen doesn't work.  I've seen people do it so I know it's possible.

xmACIS2 (rcc-acis.org)

• Spam 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wall to wall sunshine from Bellingham to Olympia today... but clouds seem to be stuck farther south. 

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20240114.171117-over=map-bars=none.gif

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Could somebody please tell me how to do a screen shot from the tables that this site generates.  Alt / print screen doesn't work.  I've seen people do it so I know it's possible.

xmACIS2 (rcc-acis.org)

I will open Paint when doing a screen shot and then save it as a file and upload it here.    Sort of tedious.   

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

xmACIS2 (rcc-acis.org)

I just do windows key + shift + s to use the windows snipping tool.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I would take the first picture with temps in the upper 20’s over the second picture (this morning) with light frost on the roof and temps in the mid teens any day, All this one did was destroy my high traffic grass. Mud the rest of the winter now, yay!! 

I will try hard not to be me for the rest of the day now lol. 

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

I was disappointed in the 2/1/1989 event.  Yes it got cold, one of the coldest events in Bellingham over the last 100 years.  But hardly any snow.  And within 5 or 6 days IIRC it was over.  Temps back to normal.

Later on, in early March, we had a good snowstorm and that was way more enjoyable.

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Randyc321 said:

Go figure, people like different things.  It's frustrating to some on here that you cheer cold without snow.

People all have different preferences.

Of course I wanted snow, but this cold wave is pretty amazing in its own right.  Already spectacular scenes at water falls, freezing spray coated structures along the waterfronts on Puget sound; creeks, ponds, and small lakes already freezing over, etc.  For me breaking the January Arctic blast curse was a big deal.  Decent chance we will have another shot at it in January next winter now that said curse has been lifted.  Most times a situation where the cold penetrates so little south of WA would be a big winner for snow.

• Like 9

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Not sure why that would matter to you?   You appreciate the statistical significance and that is great... but most people just want snowy memories and don't care if the high was 20 or 22 at SEA yesterday.  

Even with no snow it was absolutely amazing to see. To think Seattle was only 22 yesterday and 20 here at home with no snow is fuckking crazy. What is exciting to me is we can still do it,  we were actually very close to maybe a 100 year event if that storm had of came through a little north Seattle would of had heavy snow and 15 degrees.  But Portland got a show and I covered every second of it with them because I knew I might not get to see anything like that again. I actually enjoyed tracking the event down there with those people. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wall to wall sunshine from Bellingham to Olympia today... but clouds seem to be stuck farther south. 

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20240114.171117-over=map-bars=none.gif

I hope the clouds clear out so we can see the aftermath down south.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I don’t think people realize how common dry cold snaps used to be.  But we see much fewer opportunities in todays climate than we used to, so people get all worked up when it gets cold and doesn’t snow. 

• Like 3
  • Shivering 2

currently -1, didn't get as cold as forecast last night, was supposed to be -6, got to -2.

Next storm Tues/Wed looks promising over here, maybe the biggest of the season if things play out right

• Like 3

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Of course I wanted snow, but this cold wave is pretty amazing in its own right.  Already spectacular scenes at water falls, freezing spray coated structures along the waterfronts on Puget sound; creeks, ponds, and small lakes already freezing over, etc.  For me breaking the January Arctic blast curse was a big deal.  Decent chance we will have another shot at it in January next winter now that said curse has been lifted.  Most times a situation where the cold penetrates so little south of WA would be a big winner for snow.

The big BIG take away is we can still do this! I'm sure there are many examples over the last 1000 years of events like this that had very little snow in Seattle. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Even with no snow it was absolutely amazing to see. To think Seattle was only 22 yesterday and 20 here at home with no snow is fuckking crazy. What is exciting to me is we can still do it,  we were actually very close to maybe a 100 year event if that storm had of came through a little north Seattle would of had heavy snow and 15 degrees.  But Portland got a show and I covered every second of it with them because I knew I might not get to see anything like that again. I actually enjoyed tracking the event down there with those people. 

Everyone appreciates different things.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Agreed.   The other problem is the blocking high is pulling away now which is different than last week when the blocking high was starting to build and that makes it harder to get colder trends.  

Probably 50/50 this storm goes too far north for my area.  Central Vancouver island is looking like they will get a major snow storm 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

I was disappointed in the 2/1/1989 event.  Yes it got cold, one of the coldest events in Bellingham over the last 100 years.  But hardly any snow.  And within 5 or 6 days IIRC it was over.  Temps back to normal.

Later on, in early March, we had a good snowstorm and that was way more enjoyable.

The whole package that winter was amazing down this way.  Snow with the big blast, the March snow, and a snow in early January in some places.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

30 minutes ago, MossMan said:

You didn’t miss anything other than this one is over. 

Definitely disappointing in the snow department for us.  Also, models a week ago showed me basking in snow today for my Bday!  Ugh , sad panda 🐼 

But, I still have a little left over from when the front went through.  Do I count it as a white Bday??? 

IMG_0639.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

RGEM shows significant ice in Portland and a lot of the valley on Tuesday/Wednesday. 0.75" with most of the precipitation falling in the low 20s
zr_acc-imp.us_nw.png

Ugghh.   The gorge goes from being your friend to being an enemy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

RGEM shows significant ice in Portland and a lot of the valley on Tuesday/Wednesday. 0.75" with most of the precipitation falling in the low 20s
zr_acc-imp.us_nw.png

That shows a bad ice storm here. 

• Like 1