March 2024 Weather in the PNW

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Well hopefully the snow falling out on the coast bodes well for us later. It’s just been either too warm or too little precipitation to work with the past few days IMBY. Tonight seems like our last chance to string something together. 

I dont think temp will be a issue even though temps are in 40's many places. temp crashes with precip falling very fast.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, DeepFriedEgg said:

And those recent below normal winters were Nina's and were not all-time record cold.... Are you seriously trying to argue the climate isn't warming? From what I've seen this has been an all-time record warm winter across at least Minnesota and Wisconsin.

200w.gif

Where did I say anything like that? There is a middle ground between alarmism and denial. Tough for some people to grasp, though.

It was disingenuous for convergencezone to act like the winter MN just saw is somehow becoming the new Midwest normal with climate change - when obviously the biggest reason they blowtorched was the same reason they did in almost every other strong Nino.

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

The context of your comment about "what climate change is doing to the Midwest" were the posts about Minnesota's very warm and very little amount of snow this winter.

It was absolutely relevant to that discussion to point out that what MN has seen this winter (mega Nino) has been a far cry from other winters recently.

I think the 30 year normals obscure how fast it has warmed in the Midwest -- it's easy to generate those departure numbers (as I did for my post), but the rate of warming there is pretty crazy. Even comparing this mega Niño to past ones. 

Other than the northern half of Minnesota, last winter was mild as well across much of the Midwest. 

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I dont think temp will be an issue even though temps are in 40's many places. temp crashes with precip falling very fast.

Yeah, like you said a bit ago…I don’t see a ton of precipitation to the south yet. It is still pretty early though lots of time for that to change. I think if anything precip intensity will be the problem for not getting snow in south sound tonight. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Holy crap that is a foot or more there

My friend went up to 1200ft today in the coast range and measured 17" of snow on the tables. I think there might've been even more but it's been compacting

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_954fcd9d-aa61-4eb6-8d38-6fbcdb1317d9.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

200w.gif

Where did I say anything like that? There is a middle ground between alarmism and denial. Tough for some people to grasp, though.

It was disingenuous for convergencezone to act like the winter MN just saw is somehow becoming the new Midwest normal with climate change - when obviously the biggest reason they blowtorched was the same reason they did in almost every other strong Nino.

I stand by my comment -- in 50-60 years, winters like this will be common across the Upper Midwest unless there is some drastic reduction in global greenhouse gas emissions. 

• lol 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Front Ranger said:

200w.gif

You're literally doing the same thing he was doing, just opposite. I think I have only seen you point out cold anomalies which makes you just as bad as the alarmists in my eyes. You're a troll and you know it.

• Popcorn 2
  • Troll 1

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

200w.gif

It is really warming fast on our coast today and in the sierra over the weekend.

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It is really warming fast on our coast today and in the sierra over the weekend.

Learn what an average is and get back to me.

At this point if you are denying the climate is warming, you are anti-science. The extent to which humans play a part, or if it is actually a problem that needs to be addressed is another discussion.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I stand by my comment -- in 50-60 years, winters like this will be common across the Upper Midwest unless there is some drastic reduction in global greenhouse gas emissions. 

It’s always hard for me to take anUber-alarmist all that seriously when it seems they would love nothing more than to experience drastic warming 😎 But then also try to play the faux-concerned citizen card. Can’t have it both ways.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

3 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

Learn what an average is and get back to me.

At this point if you are denying the climate is warming, you are anti-science. The extent to which humans play a part, or if it is actually a problem that needs to be addressed is another discussion.

I will not engage in this conversation with you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I will not engage in this conversation with you. 

That's totally fine. 

Also, since you seem to take stuff on the internet very seriously, please note that nothing I say is meant to be offensive or a personal attack on you. Just some trolling that's all.

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

That's totally fine. 

Also, since you seem to take stuff on the internet very seriously, please note that nothing I say is meant to be offensive or a personal attack on you. Just some trolling that's all.

I take conversation on here seriously. These people are family to me, been here 17 years and i DO NOT do drama in any part of my life especially with someone i know little about and you know nothing of me. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Is there a bunch pf property for sale there?

This would be a cool little getaway to have there! 

IMG_3282.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I take conversation on here seriously. These people are family to me, been here 17 years and i DO NOT do drama in any part of my life especially with someone i know little about and you know nothing of me. 

I respect that. If that is the case, I will direct the trolling elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Time for at least some of the people who haven't gotten snow yet to get cautiously optimistic.  These much lower dew points this afternoon assure whoever gets precip will get snow.  Models are all over the place with precip placment, but some areas that have not gotten snow thus far should get some

Zero in Bothell expecting nothing 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Time for at least some of the people who haven't gotten snow yet to get cautiously optimistic.  These much lower dew points this afternoon assure whoever gets precip will get snow.  Models are all over the place with precip placment, but some areas that have not gotten snow thus far should get some

8 hours left... ECMWF shows entire precip area sliding off to the southeast by around midnight or 1 a.m.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sure wish my area would clear out now so we could drop below freezing! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I’ve only had 1/4” out of this pattern (and maybe a trace last night). I’d love to see more. Unfortunately I think the show’s over for us down here.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

7 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Wow looks awesome! Hoping for something like that tonight for us south sounders! 

Really interesting situation tonight.  A number of runs have shown snow for the area between Seattle and Olympia.  The problem is none agree where the sweet spot will be.  The airmass is colder than yesterday so that's very helpful.  Another huge help is the south wind will be dying out soon in places that it hasn't already.  Also some possible atypical convergence on the table.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, CloudJunkie said:

My spot in Lakewood hasn't gotten any snow this year. Probably not T-Town either, he's only four miles north of me. It's getting kind of impressive how we keep dodging these late season squalls.

Yeah, besides some trace snowfalls in January and February we haven’t done so good this winter a few miles north either. We will just have to see how tonight goes. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CloudJunkie said:

My spot in Lakewood hasn't gotten any snow this year. Probably not T-Town either, he's only four miles north of me. It's getting kind of impressive how we keep dodging these late season squalls.

I've seen a lot of flakes and some graupel, but nothing that has amounted to anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3