March 2024 Weather in the PNW

20 minutes ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Manzanita - wind was also oddly calm yesterday made for a great one. Wed-Thur shaping up to be a real soaker tho! 

That area is so beautiful. I always love going to Neahkahnie Beach 🏖️. The 12z RGEM is really stormy Wednesday and Thursday morning. Looks like that’s gonna be the best time for you to get some action! 🌧️ 

IMG_3151.thumb.png.ccc68e5bc7274beecdc5448c1ffdc104.png

IMG_3152.thumb.png.ff903ce603193c73cd99c72ec9fb537d.png
IMG_3153.thumb.png.ca6db35997114282475bac4412d50a39.png

• Like 1

12z gfs was decent, had a path of clear skies aligned with the path of totality in Texas. Also with some temps in the 80s on the day before and day of the eclipse in Texas. 

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

42 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Give it time. The mid-March ridge was looking pretty reasonable for awhile there too. Ended up hitting 80 in the rainforests of the Washington coast while roughly 17,000 monthly records fell in British Columbia.

The Euro maps were a lot torchier last time. I am not expecting TTT Easter weekend.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

10 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

I spy

2E8F065F-A306-43D7-A6E4-D45A93EFA5AE.png

Yesssss!!!!!

• Weenie 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Wow, lots of huge GOA ridges amongst the EPS members during week-2. Jim & Jesse must be high as a kite right now.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 2
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

I spy

2E8F065F-A306-43D7-A6E4-D45A93EFA5AE.png

It’s coming and the blue is going to trend north! 

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wow, lots of huge GOA ridges amongst the EPS members during week-2. Jim & Jesse must be high as a kite right now.

Maybe the big ridge will retrograde. But that’s how it looked with the last one too. Instead we ended up in cloudy and mildish purgatory.

• Sun 1
  • Rain 1
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

13 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Because most normal people like going outside in nice weather, and it’s ideal for nice weather to happen on weekends because people have time off so they can enjoy it..? Also Easter egg hunts are always better outdoors, my kids had much more fun finding the eggs outside, and I enjoyed hiding them outside much more than I did inside.

When I was a kid we had outdoor Easter egg hunts every year regardless of the weather. If it was raining we put on our raincoats. It’s just water, my dude.

One year (I think I was 5 or 6 years old?) we had a big Easter egg hunt with all of our extended family over, and a ferocious front blew through while we were outside. One minute it was 100% sunny and ~60°F, and literally 5 minutes later it was so dark the streetlights came on. Then came a wall of roaring winds and a bizarre mix of graupel and these giant clumps of snowflakes the size of small feathers. They were so big they stuck on some surfaces. Temp must’ve dropped 25-30 degrees in 10 minutes. Then 30mins later it was sunny again.

Have no idea why the adults didn’t bring us inside but I’m glad they didn’t. 😂 

• Like 4
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

10 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Maybe the big ridge will retrograde. But that’s how it looked with the last one too. Instead we ended up in cloudy and mildish purgatory.

Tropical forcing has favored a more +TNH/+NPI type pattern out there in recent weeks. Could have been a *lot* worse.

MJO/IS forcing will cycle thru niño phases the next 10 days or so, but will emerge in IO/IPWP sometime next month and bring about a full fledged niña/-PNA pattern. If the next week or two are warmish it’s nothing to worry about.

• Popcorn 1

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

When I was a kid we had outdoor Easter egg hunts every year regardless of the weather. If it was raining we put on our raincoats. It’s just water, my dude.

One year (I think I was 5 or 6 years old?) we had a big Easter egg hunt with all of our extended family over, and a ferocious front blew through while we were outside. One minute it was 100% sunny and ~60°F, and literally 5 minutes later it was so dark the streetlights came on. Then came a wall of roaring winds and a bizarre mix of graupel and these giant clumps of snowflakes the size of small feathers. They were so big they stuck on some surfaces. Temp must’ve dropped 25-30 degrees in 10 minutes. Then 30mins later it was sunny again.

Did you have Covid at the time?

• Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Sad 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

Humidity is just water vapour, so no big deal either I guess. 😜 

I honestly don’t remember doing Easter egg hunts as a kid.  Our street has organized some in recent years for all the kids to get together.  They have been done in the rain but it’s more pleasant if it’s not raining.  Sometimes the parents partake but our “Easter eggs” are ready to drink shots that the kids hide and make us look for them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

I guess we’re not most normal people. Hopefully they don’t start rounding up all the abnormals soon for cultural cleansing.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 2
  • Spam 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

17 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Humidity is just water vapour, so no big deal either I guess. 😜 

I honestly don’t remember doing Easter egg hunts as a kid.  Our street has organized some in recent years for all the kids to get together.  They have been done in the rain but it’s more pleasant if it’s not raining.  Sometimes the parents partake but our “Easter eggs” are ready to drink shots that the kids hide and make us look for them. 

The people who drone on and on about doing things in the rain are like the cocky jogger character on Family Guy.    Look at me... I am so tough... nothing bothers me... I love doing easter egg hunts and picnics and everything else in pouring rain.   😀

But then when it gets a little warm they turn into big babies.  

Of course you can do everything in the rain and often have to because that is life.    Its just nicer when its dry for outdoor activites. 

image.png

• Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I guess we’re not most normal people. Hopefully they don’t start rounding up all the abnormals soon for cultural cleansing.

Nobody cares.   Stop being so whiny. 

• Thanks 4
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The people who drone on and on about doing things in the rain are like the cocky jogger character on Family Guy.    Look at me... I am so tough... nothing bothers me... I love doing easter egg hunts and picnics and everything else in pouring rain.   😀

Of course you can do everything in the rain and often have to because that is life.    Its just nicer when its dry.    

image.png

This post is perfection.

I dont think they realize that most of us who root for warm and sunny weather, still go outside if the weather sucks (I can't speak for everyone, but this is true for me). Only conditions I avoid is slush, anytime the ground is a Slushy mess I am a miserable person. Obviously I root for snow, sun, and warmth, but that doesn't mean I hide inside if it's rainy/cloudy. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Of course you can do everything in the rain and often have to because that is life.    Its just nicer when its dry for outdoor activites. 

image.png

I work outside and it’s not enjoyable working in the rain and it’s less productive.  It takes longer to get jobs done but I still do it.  I also worked during the big June heat dome a few years back.  I didn’t think it was that bad.  Again, not as productive time wise. Had to take a couple extra water breaks.  Neither was ideal.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I really think we’re right on the cusp of figuring out which preferences are superior, this time!

No one cares... but you really seem to hate when people express hope for dry weather for whatever activity they have planned.   I imagine you are a joy in real life lecturing people in the grocery line.  And yet you are the absolute whiniest person on here.  We get it... you are so great because rain doesn't change your plans.  But warm weather sure does.   No one cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51F with some moderate rain.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

12 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Keep giving me your best shots guys! It’s just an Internet forum. I can be your punching bag if you wish. The crazy thing is I don’t even mind sunny weather!

But do you like pizza??   Its very important to other people.   🙄

And you are the puncher like 95% of the time.    So whatever.   

• Thanks 3

Just now, Omegaraptor said:

What’s the best vacation destination?

That's a tough one. Really depends what you're into, I'm personally into hiking, climbing, and mountaineering so Switzerland is probably the best vacation destination for me. Best place in the states is probably the north cascades or the teton range in Wyoming.

Hawaiis really nice too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Pasco! 

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Pasco! 

😀

Might have to check it out.   I only been as close as Richland.  

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

44 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

That's a tough one. Really depends what you're into, I'm personally into hiking, climbing, and mountaineering so Switzerland is probably the best vacation destination for me. Best place in the states is probably the north cascades or the teton range in Wyoming.

Hawaiis really nice too.

Would love to visit both Hawaii and Alaska at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

Southern Maui (Kihei not Lahaina)

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

4 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Give it time. The mid-March ridge was looking pretty reasonable for awhile there too. Ended up hitting 80 in the rainforests of the Washington coast while roughly 17,000 monthly records fell in British Columbia.

12z Euro was encouraging.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Tropical forcing has favored a more +TNH/+NPI type pattern out there in recent weeks. Could have been a *lot* worse.

Yeah, despite the big ridgy torch in the middle, it's looking like this month will end up pretty normalish for most of the lowlands.

MonthTDeptWRCC-NW.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

A forum for the end of the world.