June 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

More cool members showing up on the 12z ensembles, in the long range:

image.png

Also seems to be a tendency toward this coming week's troughing lingering around for a bit longer, with a slower warm up.

Are you posting things that you like?

Real objective. I never do that!

Reality is then I have to listen to you complain about it for an hour. When everyone here does it.

Troughing dissolves... summer returns. Best way to describe the 12Z ECMWF.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Are you posting things that you like?

Real objective. I never do that!

Reality is then I have to listen to you complain about it for an hour. When everyone here does it.

Troughing dissolves... summer returns. Best way to describe the 12Z ECMWF.

But certainly not to anything close to the warmth seen earlier this month.

Could end up a very close to normal month most places.

A forum for the end of the world.

But certainly not to anything close to the warmth seen earlier this month.

Could end up a very close to normal month most places.

No kidding. Did I say it was going to be 100?? There is a nice middle ground between the last couple weeks!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No kidding. Did I say it was going to be 100?? There is a nice middle ground between the last couple weeks!

Whoa, buddy. You said "summer returns", which would indicate going back to something. Whatever.

The main point is, troughing only gets you down to normal anomalies these days!

• Like 1

Whoa, buddy. You said "summer returns", which would indicate going back to something. Whatever.

The main point is, troughing only gets you down to normal anomalies these days!

Yeah... 546DM heights and 850mb temps of 0C will be fading and summer returns. Not hot. Just nice.

Which ones?

At least the GFS. But it is at the tail end of the month, so it may or may not be reliable. ;)

Just saying, it's being shown. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Coming up to Seattle Thursday for the US game at Centurylink. We looking at scattered light showers with mostly cloudy skies with temps in the low 60s?

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Someone needs to post more warm weather posts so I can keep the ratio of cold weather posts getting liked to warm weather posts being liked close to being even.

It looks like a benign summer pattern may be starting in about a week. Summer is warm.

It's important to note though, that IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A PATTERN FOR PDX TO HIT 100+. We wouldn't want Flatiron to get all panicky thinking somebody might have implied this.

• Like 2

It looks like a benign summer pattern may be starting in about a week. Summer is warm.

It's important to note though, that IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A PATTERN FOR PDX TO HIT 100+. We wouldn't want Flatiron to get all panicky thinking somebody might have implied this.

From time to time, you weirdly single me out. It's become a trend. I welcome the attention, JJ, but it is misplaced. When it comes to angst about future PNW weather patterns, I lag well behind several. There are others on here who easily care more about whether PDX hits 100+.

Now if OLM hits 100...

When was the last time we had thicknesses around 535dm in mid-June?

The 6/10/2008 trough comes to mind, but that was definitely more impressive than this one is looking to be. If I remember correctly thicknesses got down around 530dm that time.

When was the last time we had thicknesses around 535dm in mid-June?

The 6/10/2008 trough comes to mind, but that was definitely more impressive than this one is looking to be. If I remember correctly thicknesses got down around 530dm that time.

Yeah, it's not terribly unusual. We're right in the period of transition where we head into the two months or so where it's unheard of.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Modeling puts a 600+dm ridge over the 4-Corners next week. Statistically, that's the strongest telltale sign of a hot summer nationally (particularly over the Plains/Midwest) during a developing Niña.

Since 1979, every year featuring a 600+dm ridge on/before June 20th was hotter than average over the lower 48, and every developing/preexisting -ENSO summer to feature such a ridge eventually developed "heat domes" in July and/or August. Every single one of them.

So, it appears the analogs suggesting widespread nationwide warmth have merit, and it's no surprise that these years tend to be -ENSO/+PDO, a reflection of an AAM/forcing state undergoing large scale transition (as we last observed in 2012).

Cycles my friend, cycles...

Something like that for now. I might've mentioned this a few days ago, but warm season anticyclonic wave breaking over the NPAC (during an AAM drop) favors another warm period, probably centered late June and/or early July, as there'll be a natural retrogressive tendency to any ridge that tries to set up near the west coast.

Just typical intraseasonal wavefield fluctuations.

Heights will rise into AK/far NPAC following the secession of EPAC/WHEM forcing next week, so the anomalously deep troughing (locally) will relax for a few weeks. It's temporary, however, and it will reinitiate.

There will probably be a further consolidation of EHEM/Niña forcing and -AAM/-PNA in July, so not only will toughing return, but it'll probably be more "anomalous" than the upcoming period, relatively speaking.

Here's the post in reference. While the progression is fairly straightforward, the timing isn't and I might have to fine tune it somewhat.

Keep in mind, I've been biased slow with everything so far this spring/summer, so that might be the case here as well.

I'm not the one bellyaching about the inevitable shift to cool or even just normal after near record warmth the last 2 1/2 years. :)

Cycles.

I'm so proud of you. Sounds like Flatiron finally got you straightened out after your climate change derailment.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I'm so proud of you. Sounds like Flatiron finally got you straightened out after your climate change derailment.

There can be cycles within a warming background trend. I don't think I've ever said anything that ran counter to that.

Is the Euro updating for anyone?

Got it from another site... looks like flat ridging for next week with heights in the 576DM-580DM range.