August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I am very impressed with the short wave that is going to crash the temps Sunday and Monday.  I always like seeing features drop down from the north.  850s are progged to drop below normal now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

GFS MOS keeps the dewpoint in the 50s at SEA through Sunday.  

We'll have to see how effectively the easterly winds surface.  I'm ready for a lower dew points to kick in.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We'll have to see how effectively the easterly winds surface.  I'm ready for a lower dew points to kick in.

OK... as long as you are ready and all preparations completed then it can happen.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

areas west of portland are 102-103 with downsloping off the west hills.

*Only* made it to 95º here today on the leeward side of the West Hills. Cooler than the early June event when I made it to 100º.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Hottest day so far is 98 on 07/29. That's to be expected, I have been under 100 last few summers and they are pretty rare compared to Portland.

Last 100+ day was 07/02/2013.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The 00Z GFS is noticeably weaker and farther north and east with the trough on Sunday night into Monday.   

Even in the imagination land of 'WHAT IF IT WERE WINTER" that trough would fail to impress.   Probably only 6-8 inches of snow and temps only down to the teens.   ;)

Monday morning:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/namer/500_vort_ht/gfs_namer_087_500_vort_ht.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 00Z GFS is noticeably weaker and farther north and east with the trough on Sunday night into Monday.   

I noticed that as well.

92F for a high here today.  Only 20% humidity with a breeze, so it was pretty bearable.  I worked a 9hr day outside and honestly didn't feel overly hot.  I stopped at the lake for a nice swim on my way home tonight. 

Even in the imagination land of 'WHAT IF IT WERE WINTER" that trough would fail to impress. Probably only 6-8 inches of snow and temps only down to the teens. ;)

Monday morning:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/namer/500_vort_ht/gfs_namer_087_500_vort_ht.gif

You just can't help yourself, can you?

How good does acting like this make you feel?

Even in the imagination land of 'WHAT IF IT WERE WINTER" that trough would fail to impress. Probably only 6-8 inches of snow and temps only down to the teens. ;)

Monday morning:

Your prayers were answered. Hopefully this made Jim legitimately suicidal. That would be the ultimate victory for you!

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

How good does acting like this make you feel?

Really?   If we are comparing troughs to what they would do in the winter then lets play it out.    This one might just be rain?   Low snow levels?    :huh:

Your prayers were answered. Hopefully this made Jim legitimately suicidal. That would be the ultimate victory for you!

I think Jim is able to banter about things and not take it personal.   In fact... he seems to do just the opposite as evidenced by his unwavering Trump support which gets more entrenched the more you point out the obvious faults of Trump.   :)

I think Jim is able to banter about things and not take it personal. In fact... he seems to do just the opposite as evidenced by his unwavering Trump support which gets more entrenched the more you point out the obvious faults of Trump. :)

Excellent points.

Maybe some of the best points ever made about anything anywhere at any time in history.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I noticed that as well.

92F for a high here today.  Only 20% humidity with a breeze, so it was pretty bearable.  I worked a 9hr day outside and honestly didn't feel overly hot.  I stopped at the lake for a nice swim on my way home tonight. 

Looks like most parts of Victoria ended up around 90F today. The highest hourly report at the airport was 31.6C; the previous daily record was 30.0C set in 1940. It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. We'll start the day with a higher morning temperature than we had today but the winds will be less ideal as the outflow weakens.

It's interesting contrasting the temperatures at YVR to other parts of the region. Today wasn't much different from an average summer day there, with a 23C/16C (73F/61F) day and without substantially higher humidity or overnight temperatures than other nearby cities (which is normally the case when they receive lower hi temps). A blip of relative normality surrounded by a record breaking event.

There is a good chance I beat tomorrow's record of 95 in 1967 (same record as 08/18 before beating it today). 

This weekend a slight mention of storms but I assume it's as good a chance as this week (poor), or slightly better.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I just got home. It's been a long hot day. I love extreme weather but I'm ready for Autumn now. I haven't had a chance to look at any models today. I've just been following observations around the PNW. Going to take a shower first and wash all this sweat off.

Wow. I didn't know this was one of those filthy adult websites. 

YXX is still 84 at 11 pm. They hit 94 today.

Oddly, Environment Canada is predicting tomorrow to be 5 degrees cooler than today, and Saturday about 8 degrees cooler.

Is that chromosomes or a weather station? :)

Even with temps in the mid 90's and no A/C in the car I never felt particularly sweaty today. Hot, but not unbearably so.

Looks pretty warm there tonight, it's going to be a tough night for sleeping without A/C. I'm seeing 28.7C (83.7F) in Abbotsford as of 11pm, but already down to 17.6C (63.7F) at Vancouver airport. Meanwhile, Victoria airport has bounced back up to 25C (77F); tomorrow is going to end up with a warmer average temp even if the maximums are lower than they were today.

00Z ECMWF is also weaker and warmer with the Monday trough but then is much different and cooler for later next week. Messy pattern... might avoid a repeat warm spell.

Peaked at 87° here today. 96° in the point forecast for tomorrow...  :blink:

Seeing some upper 90s in the grids around OLM and south. This would be an impressive heat wave back in NE IL!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Quite the temperature descrepencies around Bellingham today. It was 87 with a hot wind at one point near the airport on my car thermometer. Drove 7 miles to Lake Padden just south of Bellingham and about 500 feet elevation and it was 78 with a cool breeze across the lake. At the same time it was 85 at Lake Whatcom a few miles east and relatively calm. Enjoyed the heat! Pool party and BBQ tomorrow at my Uncle's place. Certainly wouldn't be gathering family and spending time together if it were raining and 65. Can't say i'm not loving summer being summer... Although i just walked outside and it feels like Vegas... 76* at 2am. Yuck. Does suck to be inside when our house is in the mid 80s and it doesn't cool down at night.

Looks like we finish out the month fairly warm.    There is a chance that SEA might end up warmer this August than in 2015.     Curse you Nina!    

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

BLI's record warm low appears in pretty serious jeopardy, barring a late-day nuclear fallout.

Their low so far is 70 and the all time record is 65 from 8/12/2014.

It's insane how many record warm nights they have had since 2014. This at an only modestly urban locale.

Wow was I the only cold spot with a low of 56 degrees?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!