December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Since the smaller maps arent ipdating, 00z ECMWF snowfall totals through 4AM next Thursday. About 2-3 inches of this falls on Saturday night in the Seattle-Tacoma areas.

Easily best Euro run so far for widespread snow.

I don't know why it's showing more snow at the Oregon beaches than the Willamette Valley. It should be the other way around.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

I don't know why it's showing more snow at the Oregon beaches than the Willamette Valley. It should be the other way around.

Resolution is bad. What may appear to be coastal may be representative of elevated locations just east of the coastal strip.

Also, the coast can outperform inland areas in these modified Arctic setups as rain shadowing becomes an issue in NW flow and shallowing moisture.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

00z ECMWF snowfall totals through 4AM next Friday. About 2-3 inches of this falls on Saturday night in the Seattle-Tacoma areas.

Easily best Euro run so far for widespread snow.

To the naysayers - obviously the majority of this falls out of 'realistic' range but nice to see nonetheless.

I'd be happy if we had a couple inches going into Sunday morning.

I'd be happy if we had a couple inches going into Sunday morning.

3 would be nice.  That gives a good solid cover.  Snow cover would make the cold even more impressive.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, the rain shadow is my only concern of not getting a solid snowcover. I live at 500 feet in East PDX Metro so I might be ok but I'm concerned the center of the city might not get much.

Snow possibilities for Sunday don't look too promising down here. The Puget Sound, as to be expected in these cases, should do better with the convergence wild card and more frontogenic stuff.

Pretty crazy to see how extensive the cold is going to be.  With such a low PNA the East would normally torch.  I have no problem with sharing as long as we get ours.  We are seeing a massive displacement of cold air from the high latitudes this winter.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty crazy to see how extensive the cold is going to be. With such a low PNA the East would normally torch. I have no problem with sharing as long as we get ours. We are seeing a massive displacement of cold air from the high latitudes this winter.

Indeed. We have some air from Prince George, BC staying in our guest room right now which was displaced by oppressive upper levels.

• Like 1

Pretty crazy to see how extensive the cold is going to be. With such a low PNA the East would normally torch. I have no problem with sharing as long as we get ours. We are seeing a massive displacement of cold air from the high latitudes this winter.

You can have the cold. I just want some snow, and temperatures warm enough to enjoy it in. I'll pass on the frigid/dry crap.

Haven't seen a 10 day like this in a while.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 11.36.09 PM.png

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Snow possibilities for Sunday don't look too promising down here. The Puget Sound, as to be expected in these cases, should do better with the convergence wild card and more frontogenic stuff.

I'd like to get at least an inch but it looks like more chances later next week so I could live with just half and inch or so.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

850s don't go above -7c for Seattle from hr 108 through the end of the run. Good portion of those days at -10c or colder. Extremely improved snow totals. Much better blocking position/placement.

Overall great run. Rest easy.

Pretty amazing alright.  This could be...just could be like one of the great cold Januaries of the old days.  Still a lot to be sorted out before we can look that far ahead though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm officially staying up for the 06z GFS.

Sleep is just not important with so much at stake.

I'm trying to decide if you're serious or not.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think this will top anything this century for the NW except maybe December 2008. I think this could last longer though. We could easily beat any January event since at least 1980.

Dec 2008 was an exceptionally long event. Of course I hope you're right, but that's setting the bar pretty high.

I would say better chance this event is colder, rather than longer than 2008.

A forum for the end of the world.

The Euro ensemble is insane. The mean now shows 850s dropping to around -13 for Seattle and by day 9 there is a massive nation wide cold spell with the block still going strong. Truly extraordinary setup.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Dec 2008 was an exceptionally long event. Of course I hope you're right, but that's setting the bar pretty high.

Perhaps...but then again January is the month we can have epic / long cold waves. Obviously the January bar for this century is really low.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

By the time it actually starts snowing, it's usually just a relief and I can finally get some sleep.

Oh good, I thought I was the only nutjob to do that. 

I don't remember who on here said it, but this place really is just an online insane asylum sometimes, we all probably do need some kind of meds  :lol: given that we stay up to look at computer models and that our emotional state is directly linked to the output of the last known suite of model runs. 

• Like 1

The Euro ensemble and control model look like something epic is setting up after day 10. The cold regroups in SW Canada, and the northern half of the NW quarter of the country with low pressure beginning to inject moisture into the picture. The control model shows wickedly cold air over southern BC.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9